2 Murderers Missing From Missouri Prison

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - Two convicted murderers were missing from the state prison Thursday morning, several hours after an inmate who had killed his siblings was found dead in a prison work area.

Jefferson City police set up roadblocks outside the prison as part of the search for the missing inmates, but it wasn't immediately clear whether they had escaped.

About 200 prison officials were searching the penitentary grounds, which cover 47 acres with 25 buildings and numerous tunnels, Department of Corrections spokesman Tim Kniest said.

There were no confirmed sightings of the inmates outside the prison and no evidence to indicate an escape, Kniest said.

The two inmates, Chris Sims, 27, and Shannon Phillips, 35, have been missing since Wednesday night when the body of Toby Viles, 28, was found in the ice-making plant where the three men were working alone.

As part of their work, the inmates routinely used chisels and hammers to chop up ice. Guards do not directly supervise the workers but check on them periodically.

Viles was found with wounds to his head and neck and his death is being investigated as a homicide, Kniest said. Investigators were trying to determine the cause of death, as well as whether any of the icehouse tools were missing.

Viles, who had been imprisoned since 1994, was 16 years old when he used a rifle to shoot his younger siblings - brothers aged 3 and 11, and a 14-year-old sister. He was serving life without possibility of parole.

Sims has been in prison since 1998 on a life term for murder in St. Louis. Phillips was serving life without parole for a murder in Jackson County and had been imprisoned since 1996.

That's cool, lets give convicted murderers ice picks. :duh:

SxyPrincess

Speaking of prisons, I think one of the freakiest things I've ever seen was when I was vacationing in Michigan. I saw signs that read: "Do not pick up hitchhikers - state prison nearby." :shocked:

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by cmcdanal
As part of their work, the inmates routinely used chisels and hammers to chop up ice. Guards do not directly supervise the workers but check on them periodically.

This is such a great idea. I think more prisons should look into this:rolleyes:

K

Kizzy

Re: Re: 2 Murderers Missing From Missouri Prison

Originally posted by tys_mommy
This is such a great idea. I think more prisons should look into this:rolleyes:

It isn't very uncommon. We have 3 guys on work release at my office. They work Monday thru Friday doing odd jobs around the office. A few months ago, one got pizzed off and punched one of the other guys. He broke his jaw in several different places and there was blood everywhere.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
JEFFERSON CITY - Two convicted murderers who disappeared after allegedly beating another inmate to death at a prison ice plant were found Sunday, still inside the Missouri State Penitentiary.

Inmates Christopher Sims and Shannon Phillips were discovered in the same building where they are believed to have killed convicted murderer Toby Viles four days earlier, corrections department spokesman John Fougere said.

He said both men surrendered without a struggle.

Hundreds of prison officials had been combing the penitentiary and its grounds since the men disappeared Wednesday, suspecting the inmates might never have escaped. No evidence of an escape had been found and no sightings of the men had been reported.

"They had constructed a very carefully concealed false wall, which was right near their work site at the ice house," Fougere said. He said the two likely had remained behind the wall most of time they were missing.

They were found when a prison staff member, tapping the wall as part of the search, was able to punch a hole in it, Fougere said.

Phillips immediately stuck his hand out and said, 'I give up,'"

Phillips, 35, has been serving a life prison sentence for a murder in Kansas City. Sims, 27, had been serving a life sentence for a murder in St. Louis.

Cole County Sheriff John Hemeyer has said that a note found near Viles' body bearing the initials of the two inmates claimed responsibility for his death and threatened to kill anyone else who got in their way.