Any Snake Experts?

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Can anybody tell me what this ugly cuss might be? He decided to slither up on my back deck and hang out for a while. I stopped hubby from whacking him with a shovel but I've no idea if this one is poisonous or not. I'm in Texas now by the way.

Attachments

• Snake.jpg
    Snake.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 366

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Can anybody tell me what this ugly cuss might be? He decided to slither up on my back deck and hang out for a while. I stopped hubby from whacking him with a shovel but I've no idea if this one is poisonous or not. I'm in Texas now by the way.

Common Garter Snake
NOT poisonous.

FYI - Cotton mouths are not found north of Norfolk VA

Attachments

• eastern%20garter%20snake.jpg
    eastern%20garter%20snake.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 208

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Looks like a poisonous head shape to me. Poisonous snakes tend to have triangle heads because of their venom pits. I see a triangle, but the pic isn't clear. I'm thinking one of the many rattle snake varieties in Texas. Put him in a bucket and take him out for a long ride and release....:yay:

HA! There was no way I was gonna mess with that aggressive little bugger, I shot that picture very carefully. We have a lot of snakes around here, relocating one would be just a drop in the bucket. This is why every pic of my kids outside shows them in cowboy boots and jeans, my relatives laugh but I've ran across about 5 or 6 snakes in the last year and half the time I didn't notice them until they either rattled or coiled up. I just leave the critters alone, they go on their merry way pretty quickly once you retreat. Hubby on the other hand kills any snake on sight in kind of a horrified violent rage that I find it rather unnerving. Snakes make a lot of folks crazy....

HA! There was no way I was gonna mess with that aggressive little bugger, I shot that picture very carefully. We have a lot of snakes around here, relocating one would be just a drop in the bucket. This is why every pic of my kids outside shows them in cowboy boots and jeans, my relatives laugh but I've ran across about 5 or 6 snakes in the last year and half the time I didn't notice them until they either rattled or coiled up. I just leave the critters alone, they go on their merry way pretty quickly once you retreat. Hubby on the other hand kills any snake on sight in kind of a horrified violent rage that I find it rather unnerving. Snakes make a lot of folks crazy....

I'm glad you let them go in their merry way. You sure do have plenty of snake varieties in Texas so it seems the best approach. My husband used to kill snakes at first sight too... but I've convinced him to treat them differently and now we shoo them away. They serve a great purpose in our eco-system.

D

dems4me

Yep! Thats me!! Hubby and I would get along great! :lol: I know its not right, I guess.

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
I'm glad you let them go in their merry way. You sure do have plenty of snake varieties in Texas so it seems the best approach. My husband used to kill snakes at first sight too... but I've convinced him to treat them differently and now we shoo them away. They serve a great purpose in our eco-system.

Thanks for the links, I poked around there for a bit but I didn't see anything real close. They wanted a donation to ID a pic :rolleyes:. I figure it's good to keep anything alive that keeps the rodent population down. I sent the pic to my horse trainer, she's pretty well versed on the local fauna.