Dish Network Turbo HD anyone?

C

czygvtwkr

I am thinking about dropping Metrocrap and going with Dish Network. Can anyone tell me how many Wires (RG-6Q?) go from the sat dish to the receiver because I want to go ahead and do the wire the way I want to before they come.

That depends on a few things. Which dish system, which LNB, switch mounted at the dish or at the house....

I have a dual-dual LNB on mine, so that's 4 wires that come out of the dish. Within 4 feet of the dish, I have 2 switches to combine 1 wire from each LNB, so 4 wires to 2. Those 2 come into the house and go in different directions, each to a separate receiver.

The newer dishes don't have all that.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/download...als/installation/SHOW_949_dishpro_install.pdf

Edit: My neighbor got HD recently, and he now has 2 dishes, each in a different place pointed in a different angle. Wires run in from both to a switch to combine them.

Last edited:
C

czygvtwkr

That depends on a few things. Which dish system, which LNB, switch mounted at the dish or at the house....

I have a dual-dual LNB on mine, so that's 4 wires that come out of the dish. Within 4 feet of the dish, I have 2 switches to combine 1 wire from each LNB, so 4 wires to 2. Those 2 come into the house and go in different directions, each to a separate receiver.

The newer dishes don't have all that.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/download...als/installation/SHOW_949_dishpro_install.pdf

Edit: My neighbor got HD recently, and he now has 2 dishes, each in a different place pointed in a different angle. Wires run in from both to a switch to combine them.

Hmmm i think I will have only 1 dish and two wires come in with no switch involved. That is still one more wire than I had planned on earlier, was hoping to use an existing hole in masonry block to feed it through.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Hmmm i think I will have only 1 dish and two wires come in with no switch involved. That is still one more wire than I had planned on earlier, was hoping to use an existing hole in masonry block to feed it through.

Are you thinking of running two lines to each receiver?

BoyGenius

Cyber Bully Victim
Are you thinking of running two lines to each receiver?

The HD DVR receivers from Directv require two lines to each because they have two tuners, I doubt theirs are any different.

Smart move running your own lines. Those install butchers will show up with a huge drill and expect to bore holes anywhere they choose to get their money quick and get out with no consideration for what they do to your home.

:popcorn:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
The HD DVR receivers from Directv require two lines to each because they have two tuners, I doubt theirs are any different.

I thought the same thing, so I ran extra lines to all the TV's (4).
But when they showed up they installed an extra box up near the antenna (switch maybe?) and then installed a power inserter.
So I only need one line to each TV DVR Receiver, and also free's up more ports for future TV's.
I have Direct TV

BoyGenius

Cyber Bully Victim
I thought the same thing, so I ran extra lines to all the TV's (4).
But when they showed up they installed an extra box up near the antenna (switch maybe?) and then installed a power inserter.
So I only need one line to each TV DVR Receiver, and also free's up more ports for future TV's.
I have Direct TV

How recent are you talking? Mine was done last year. Is yours an HD DVR?

My DVR has two coax cable inputs and if you don't plug two direct feeds from the dish in, you can't watch something and record something at the same time. And no, you can't just add a regular splitter behind the DVR, that won't work either.

The plain HD receivers on the other hand only need one line.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

My DVR has two coax cable inputs and if you don't plug two direct feeds from the dish in, you can't watch something and record something at the same time. And no, you can't just add a regular splitter behind the DVR, that won't work either.

I had Direct TV installed last Sept. time frame (I think).

We have here:
1- HD DVR Receiver, with 1 line
2- HD Receivers, with 1 line to each
1- DVR Receiver, with 1 line

With both DVR's I can watch one channel and record a seperate channel.

Now if I unplug power to the Power Inserter (PI-21), I will lose the signal to all receivers.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
DoWhat gone technonerd, whoda thunk it.

Not really, I work with some techogeeks and they are learning me.

But the house does have some cool set-ups now.

I even set-up'ed the Wii to the wireless router.

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......

Looks like he's got a SWM (single wire multiswitch) system installed. With the current DirecTV hardware (H2x, HR2x and R22 series) you can install a SWMLine Dish or a SWM-8 multiswitch, to run a single coax to the DVR's instead of two. I didn't know they started installing those in this area yet.

BoyGenius

Cyber Bully Victim
Looks like he's got a SWM (single wire multiswitch) system installed. With the current DirecTV hardware (H2x, HR2x and R22 series) you can install a SWMLine Dish or a SWM-8 multiswitch, to run a single coax to the DVR's instead of two. I didn't know they started installing those in this area yet.

Until watching that video, I had no idea they even existed yet. Nice improvement though. I've got four lines running off a slimeline dish.