DTV help!

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I came home about 8pm to find my DTV not working. I'm getting an error message "Searching for signal." When I first came home and turned on the tv, the error message said my satellite didn't have a connection for about 4 hours.

I've called DTV and reset everything possible and unplugged the cables. Nothing worked. There is no storm/wind coming through to interfere with the reception.

The only thing I can think of is that my lawn crew who was here between 3 & 4pm today accidentally cut through the wires where the dish is. This would be w/in the 4-hour time frame error message. I don't have a flashlight to check, so I won't know until the morning.

Does anyone have any rec's for me to try this evening? My DTV service call will be here Tuesday afternoon if it's not fixed by then. :ohwell: :cds:

tyky

eieio
I came home about 8pm to find my DTV not working. I'm getting an error message "Searching for signal." When I first came home and turned on the tv, the error message said my satellite didn't have a connection for about 4 hours.

I've called DTV and reset everything possible and unplugged the cables. Nothing worked. There is no storm/wind coming through to interfere with the reception.

The only thing I can think of is that my lawn crew who was here between 3 & 4pm today accidentally cut through the wires where the dish is. This would be w/in the 4-hour time frame error message. I don't have a flashlight to check, so I won't know until the morning.

Does anyone have any rec's for me to try this evening? My DTV service call will be here Tuesday afternoon if it's not fixed by then. :ohwell: :cds:

I asked Hubby he said to do what you already did! Ughh, I hope you don't have to wait til Tuesday, you can come watch Man Caves with us :dead:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
My satellite was knocked out of place and I can't get a signal. Does ANYONE on here have experience with this sorta thing? I tried last night and this morning to try and fix it, no luck. I have a service call scheduled for Tuesday if nothing else. :ohwell:

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
My satellite was knocked out of place and I can't get a signal. Does ANYONE on here have experience with this sorta thing? I tried last night and this morning to try and fix it, no luck. I have a service call scheduled for Tuesday if nothing else. :ohwell:

Someone hit my pole and knocked it out of whack. They tied my pole to the truck bumper and pulled it into place but I think someone could reposition your dish until hubby gets home. That's if you can find someone who knows how to do the repositioning. :huggy:

Two person job. You have to go to the menu and find the signal strength indicator. The get someone to move the dish around while you're watching until its best.

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
Menu button> Parental, Fav's & Setup> System Setup>Sat & Ant>View Signal Strength>Signal Meters

Just point the dish to the South East skies and listen for the beeps or a high signal strength.

Last edited:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed

Have actually unplugged the Receiver from the wall outlet??

Remove power (more than just shutting off) by unplugging the box.. let it set for 30 seconds to a minute with no power then plug it back it in. This re-boots your box.

Second, when you call DTV they should have been able to troubleshoot your system from your location, and have been able to tell you weren't connected or your dish was misaligned.

I've had the same problem in the past with DirecTV and as I was sitting in front of the TV they re-set my system and instant picture and sound.

Lastly.. if you lawn crew didn't know better than to be careful around your dish.. find a new lawn crew.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Have actually unplugged the Receiver from the wall outlet??

Remove power (more than just shutting off) by unplugging the box.. let it set for 30 seconds to a minute with no power then plug it back it in. This re-boots your box.

Second, when you call DTV they should have been able to troubleshoot your system from your location, and have been able to tell you weren't connected or your dish was misaligned.

I've had the same problem in the past with DirecTV and as I was sitting in front of the TV they re-set my system and instant picture and sound.

Lastly.. if you lawn crew didn't know better than to be careful around your dish.. find a new lawn crew.
BG, my system doesn't need to be reset. The actual dish is offline. The lawn crew hit it somehow - and I know this because ALL of my tvs are out. I thought maybe a wire had been cut, but that would only affect one tv.

Anyhow, I really have no choice but to wait until I find someone who knows how to fix it. Hubby is on travel until the end of this month.