*New to the Public School System

happy_bee4

Going back to the stars
Hi - I am wondering what some thoughts are on early kindergarten and pre-k v. daycare.
My daughter will be taking the test for early kindergarten entrance because she misses the deadline by a week. I was told by the BOE that if she doesn't pass the test, that I would be better off just keeping her in daycare for the next year as opposed to enrolling her in pre-k. Why would they recommend this? I just can't imagine not letting her start some form of school as she is almost five and more than ready to go. I think she will be fine and pass the test for kindergarten, I just can't see why the actual St. Mary's County Board of Education would tell you to keep your kid at home for another whole year instead of putting them in pre-k. I have also noticed the pre-k enrollment form is about one page and is based on income and whether or not you receive food stamps and public assistance. If I do not receive any of that and make decent money does that mean my child doesn't get into pre-k? This whole process just seems way out of control!

Any opinions or experience?

sunflower

Loving My Life...
Pre-K is a "low income, special needs" kinda program I believe.. If your child is having learning problems they will get into Pre-K before anyone else...They can't deny your child for K though... It's been so long, maybe someone newer to the system can chime in!!! Good Luck..

Abby_

Pre-K is for children who have risk factors such as economic factors, special needs, developmental delays, certain family situations, etc. This program is in place to provide the boost they need to be successful once they reach Kindergarten.

If your daughter is bright, which I assume she is based on your plan to take the early entrance for K test, then the group described above might not be the best fit for her.

Simply put, Pre-K is for those children who are behind. Early entrance to Kindergarten is for those children who are ahead.

happy_bee4

Going back to the stars
Pre-K is for children who have risk factors such as economic factors, special needs, developmental delays, certain family situations, etc. This program is in place to provide the boost they need to be successful once they reach Kindergarten.

If your daughter is bright, which I assume she is based on your plan to take the early entrance for K test, then the group described above might not be the best fit for her.

Simply put, Pre-K is for those children who are behind. Early entrance to Kindergarten is for those children who are ahead.

Thank you for your help :)

When I called the BOE, the lady basically stuck me with no where to go. She said the early k test is extremely hard and I shouldn't even attempt it, and that pre-k was basically glorified daycare and I should just keep her in my normal daycare for another year and wait. She is working right now around a first grade level so I know she can handle it. So I am going to go for the early k test regardless. I would just think the school system would want to get kids in where they belong instead of trying to push them out before they even start.

karmama

Go for the early K entrance test!! Good luck but your child should have zero problems. I believe some pre-K programs exist for the federal $$ and with a full enrollment more $ is available. I have known children that attended pre-K that did not meet any of the above criteria. I always wondered how/why these children were in the program. Some child care facilities, whether center based or family based, do an excellent job at getting children ready for kindergarten.

CRHS89

I have also been considering having my child tested since he misses the deadline by 2 weeks. He is very bright, but I wonder what the disadvantages may be to having him start early. Anyone have opinions on this or been through this with your children?

AtlanticBlu

I have worked in the Calvert County public school system. The public school system encourages parents not to have their child tested for early admission to Kindergarten because they state a child who is not 5 yrs old by the cut off may pass the test with flying colors, however, when they enter school or get into 1st grade they may not be as socially developed as their peers causing them to fall behind. Do I agree with this? Not really. I think every child is different and can excel at different levels. I do know in Calvert, if a child passes the Early admissions test and they are accepted into the program, the county has the child on probation until the first day of their 2nd grade year. The county reserves the right to terminate the childs enrollment during that probation if they are not making "adequate" progress.
Everyone is correct that the county Pre-K programs are a need based program. I have found that many of the daycare centers are becoming "accreditated" through the State of Maryland. I believe that is the big push from Maryland. Since there are so many children who do not qualify for Pre-K, they are pushing the daycare centers to become "Highly Qualified." Plus it is probably difficult to make Pre-K for everyone based on the lack of space at most elementary schools now.
I hope this information is helpful. Good Luck with the testing. If your child, for some reason, does not pass remember you can always appeal to the Board of Education. I know a child who failed the county test because the county was using a mid-kindergarten year reading assessment. The parents made an appeal and the child is now in a Kindergarten classroom in the highest reading group.

jedi2814

I have also been considering having my child tested since he misses the deadline by 2 weeks. He is very bright, but I wonder what the disadvantages may be to having him start early. Anyone have opinions on this or been through this with your children?

Be very careful especially with boys. While he may be academically ready, boys often need another year of emotional maturity - I held mine and he is excelling now (10 days passed the deadline).

poster

Hi - I am wondering what some thoughts are on early kindergarten and pre-k v. daycare.
My daughter will be taking the test for early kindergarten entrance because she misses the deadline by a week. I was told by the BOE that if she doesn't pass the test, that I would be better off just keeping her in daycare for the next year as opposed to enrolling her in pre-k. Why would they recommend this? I just can't imagine not letting her start some form of school as she is almost five and more than ready to go. I think she will be fine and pass the test for kindergarten, I just can't see why the actual St. Mary's County Board of Education would tell you to keep your kid at home for another whole year instead of putting them in pre-k. I have also noticed the pre-k enrollment form is about one page and is based on income and whether or not you receive food stamps and public assistance. If I do not receive any of that and make decent money does that mean my child doesn't get into pre-k? This whole process just seems way out of control!

Any opinions or experience?

My daughter made the enrollment date by 2wks for K, I wish she hadn't. I didn't realize at the time she would be the youngest of her class, most of the kids are 9-12mo older than she is. She has struggled from day one, I truely believe (along with some of her teachers) that an extra year's maturity would have done her wonders. We're now in 4th grade and it's still harder for her than her classmates. I have noticed recently that her maturity level is catching up to the others and school is getting a little easier for her. Seems like she's noticed also - hopefully things will improve from now on.

I don't know how the Pre-K program works but I would push for that instead. All kids are different I'm sure whatever you chose will work for you. In our case. I wish I'd have started her late.

tazzman

both of my girls went to Pre-K and they were not "special needs or slow". Both of my girls currently are above their grade level in many subjects. I sent my girls because they were in private daycare and I thought it would benefit them to be with other kids their age. So, the ones that say Pre-K is for "special kids or Low income families" don't know what they are talking about.

If you want your kids to go to Pre-K, don't let these idiots help you decide to send them or not. It is your choice, not theirs.

poster

both of my girls went to Pre-K and they were not "special needs or slow". Both of my girls currently are above their grade level in many subjects. I sent my girls because they were in private daycare and I thought it would benefit them to be with other kids their age. So, the ones that say Pre-K is for "special kids or Low income families" don't know what they are talking about.

If you want your kids to go to Pre-K, don't let these idiots help you decide to send them or not. It is your choice, not theirs.

The BOE actually does say that enrollment is based on those factors. But I do think what parents don't consider is how many don't enroll because they don't think they'd qualify. The school is not contacting families to enroll their kids, if that class isn't full then you can't be denied a slot that isn't taken. Always try.

poster

Thank you for your help :)

When I called the BOE, the lady basically stuck me with no where to go. She said the early k test is extremely hard and I shouldn't even attempt it, and that pre-k was basically glorified daycare and I should just keep her in my normal daycare for another year and wait. She is working right now around a first grade level so I know she can handle it. So I am going to go for the early k test regardless. I would just think the school system would want to get kids in where they belong instead of trying to push them out before they even start.

Sorry, I didn't see this before. I was wondering, how do you know what level she's at? Has she been tested by someone already?
Just curious.

depechemode

Enjoy the Silence

SMCPS - Curriculum and Instruction

A child must be four years old on or before September 1, 2009, and come from a family with an economically disadvantaged background. If vacancies remain after children from economically disadvantaged backgrounds have been enrolled, the remaining vacancies may be filled using locally determined at-risk criteria. All children are screened to determine eligibility for prekindergarten..

These 'idiots' are just going on the facts set out by the BOE.

sockgirl77

Why would there be any disadvantages? Up until a few years ago the cutoff was the end of the year (12/31), not the beginning of the school year.
So, the ones that say Pre-K is for "special kids or Low income families" don't know what they are talking about.

My son ONLY qualified because he comes from a broken family, my low income, and because of his speech delay. That came from 2 sources. One being Child Find and the other being the school. Read your Pre-K application. If those were not factors than you would not have to apply or take a test. :shrug:

atrusomder

Isaiah 55:8-9

When my daughter was accepted into the pre-k program it had nothing to do with being special needs or low income.
She was accepted because she had no social skills and needed the interaction of other kids. She was behind socially.
She was very intelligent for her age group and is now within the top 2 of her class.
I say go for the early testing if you the parent feel she is ready.
Good Luck!

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
I had all three of mine in a private pre K called Little Sonbeams which was in the basement of a church. It cost a little bit but was a wonderful and rewarding experience for all of them and me too. My two oldest have since recieved four year scholarships to college and hopefully next year, my daughter will too. I still keep in touch with some of their teachers because they were so awesome!

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I had all three of mine in a private pre K called Little Sonbeams which was in the basement of a church. It cost a little bit but was a wonderful and rewarding experience for all of them and me too. My two oldest have since recieved four year scholarships to college and hopefully next year, my daughter will too. I still keep in touch with some of their teachers because they were so awesome!

My two went there. And it's not longer in the basement. They actually are on the main floor and the second floor now depending on which class you enroll in. My youngest is there now and he loves his teachers. They are a great preschool!! My oldest is 8 and his teachers still make a fuss over him every Sunday at church three years later.

happy_bee4

Going back to the stars
Sorry, I didn't see this before. I was wondering, how do you know what level she's at? Has she been tested by someone already?
Just curious.

No she has not been tested yet. I am going to do that next week. I am basing it off of friends and family members that are in first grade and she has been able to do their homework and classwork. Also based off of the workbook level she is in now. I will know specifically what level she is at once we get her tested.

dancnmommy

I recently read in another thread that children who attend Private Pre-K programs are typically better prepared for those who attend public or none at all.

I go back and forth on the issue of having your child tested into Kindergarden. My son who is 4 but will be 5 this year, but after the cut off date, will be starting Pre-K this year. He attends a private center and I absolutely love it. He can write all his letters, our entire families name and pretty much any word I give him if I spell it out. He can read simple words...etc. (sorry to brag just a proud mama). I know he would be just fine entering into Kindergarten this year accademically but I worry about socially and emotionally. I had a friend in hs who was born in december. She was always the "young" one and acted that way too. When we all turned 16 she just turned 15, and so on. I didnt want my son to feel "left out".

But then I see my son with my nephew who will be 4 in July and he is also entering Pre-K this year and they seem worlds apart. My nephew does not know colors, letters, count to 20 anything that I think a typical 4 year old should know. He still acts more like a toddler than a pre-schooler and this makes me want to re-think the pre-k idea. And then I have a niece who turned 4 in April and my son and her are basically on the same level socially, emotionally and accademically.

I think its a matter of preferance. And your child. Do you want your child to be the youngest or the oldest in his class?

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
I would suggest looking into one of the private schools in the area. Class sizes are usually smaller; and, not to offend anyone, but the students are usually on a higher level per say (not at risk socially or developmentally). I think they all have a pre-k program; some are all day; some of half-day. Not sure where you are located, so I don't know which direction to point you in.