Southern Maryland Hospital

My friend delivered there a little over 8 years ago. She was classified as a "high risk" pregnancy because she had toxemia and her son was born just shy of 2 months early. They took great care of both of them :yay:

rich70

STEELERS NATION!!
Thats where my daughter was born. I can't say one thing bad about the hospital. Everyone there was great to my wife and I. I would recommend it to anyone. As far as the ER, I don't know anything about that.

OUr son was born there 15 years ago, last time i was there. Wife had a c section, and she was diabetic. Docs and hospital did a fine job, i cant complain.

Thats where my daughter was born. I can't say one thing bad about the hospital. Everyone there was great to my wife and I. I would recommend it to anyone. As far as the ER, I don't know anything about that.

L&D :yay: :yay:

ER :boo: :boo:

We have a friend who is a nurse in L&D and she runs her own birthing classes... she will not leave SMH L&D because they are setup so well. Even though CIVISTA is right around the corner from her, she would rather be at SMH.

belvak

Happy Camper
I delivered both of mine there and had great experiences both times. Of course, that was 22 and 25 years ago!!

Deneen

Anybody deliver there before? What was your experience with L & D?

L&D is the best part of Southern Maryland Hospital. The nurses are wonderful and they are generally fully staffed. The entire experience could hinge on your personal doctor though. I delivered my 2nd child there and it was a wonderful experience.

lovinmaryland

L&D :yay: :yay:

ER :boo: :boo:

We have a friend who is a nurse in L&D and she runs her own birthing classes... she will not leave SMH L&D because they are setup so well. Even though CIVISTA is right around the corner from her, she would rather be at SMH.

OMG Civista in La Plata?

I was appalled at their L&D. My cousin just delivered there and it was sooooo run down and just terrible.

I was so disappointed especially since they have done millions to other areas of the hosptial you would think they would have refurbished L&D. It was literally from the 60's that bad!

dawn

I had my son there in 2005 and they were wonderful! Had an issue with one nurse.....long story short......got an epidural, I never felt it, the nurse was attitudal with me that I couldn’t feel it, well I ended up getting a total of three all the while the nurse made me feel like a drug addict because I kept telling her I couldn’t feel anything….well come to find out my tube was kinked and when they realized it - they straightened it out and I got all three epidurals at once….. a weird feeling I never want to ever have again and on top of that, they wanted me to push and I couldn’t feel what I was pushing…..:faint:

Other than that, they were wonderful and I would deliver there again!

boo8123

Worst Hospital Ever!!!!!

Anybody deliver there before? What was your experience with L & D?

It is a great hospital if you are a crack head the hospital is dirty the staff are rude the er looks like a free clinic with homeless people just in there to watch tv and get out of the cold or hot air. Privacy violations are all over the hospital you have to share a room with someone after you have the baby no privacy to enjoy the time with your child. My sister had her son there and i begged her to go to calvert memorial that is where i had my son at wonderful staff that go over and beyond there jobs to make you comfortable and welcomed no matter what clean private rooms, bathrooms no sharing you can have as many people visit as you want, you can feel safe with your child in the room not everybody that is visiting the person next to you at southern maryland is in the room staring at you making you feel uncomfortable half dressed and trying to bond with your child.
Run far away from southern maryland hospital center!!!!!!

jedi2814

OMG Civista in La Plata?

I was appalled at their L&D. My cousin just delivered there and it was sooooo run down and just terrible.

I was so disappointed especially since they have done millions to other areas of the hosptial you would think they would have refurbished L&D. It was literally from the 60's that bad!

L&D at Civista was completely renovated in 1994, I was there. So no matter what it looks like now it has been redone since the 60's. I don't work there anymore - there are far worse issues than the look of the place.

When choosing a place to give birth they must have 3 things - an anesthesiologist for L&D 24/7 (not 30 min. away if nothing's going on and not one guy for the entire hospital), an MD in the house that can do a c/s 24/7 and at least a level 2 NICU that can appropriately stabilize and transfer a preemie or sick infant. The majority of deliveries go well - but when things go south you have to be able to get the baby out in a timely fashion. Without those first 2 things in place you can't do that. Neither Civista, CMH or St. Mary's have these things on place.

PantherWoman

It is a great hospital if you are a crack head the hospital is dirty the staff are rude the er looks like a free clinic with homeless people just in there to watch tv and get out of the cold or hot air. Privacy violations are all over the hospital you have to share a room with someone after you have the baby no privacy to enjoy the time with your child. My sister had her son there and i begged her to go to calvert memorial that is where i had my son at wonderful staff that go over and beyond there jobs to make you comfortable and welcomed no matter what clean private rooms, bathrooms no sharing you can have as many people visit as you want, you can feel safe with your child in the room not everybody that is visiting the person next to you at southern maryland is in the room staring at you making you feel uncomfortable half dressed and trying to bond with your child.
Run far away from southern maryland hospital center!!!!!!

What year did she deliver here?

Last edited:

PantherWoman

L&D at Civista was completely renovated in 1994, I was there. So no matter what it looks like now it has been redone since the 60's. I don't work there anymore - there are far worse issues than the look of the place.

When choosing a place to give birth they must have 3 things - an anesthesiologist for L&D 24/7 (not 30 min. away if nothing's going on and not one guy for the entire hospital), an MD in the house that can do a c/s 24/7 and at least a level 2 NICU that can appropriately stabilize and transfer a preemie or sick infant. The majority of deliveries go well - but when things go south you have to be able to get the baby out in a timely fashion. Without those first 2 things in place you can't do that. Neither Civista, CMH or St. Mary's have these things on place.

It says here, SMH has a level 2 nursery.

Southern Maryland Hospital Center | Programs and Services

Nursery
What level nursery do you have?
We have a “Level II Special Care” nursery and a regular newborn nursery. For those infants who require prolonged intensive care, we provide stabilization and/or safe transport to a higher-level neonatal care unit.

jedi2814

Yes, the others don't. I don't THINK So. Md. has the anesthesia or the inhouse OB - but I'm not sure about that (I don't know anyone that works there right now - they didn't use to). Most of the time those two things are more important. Also keep in mind SMH is a for-profit hospital not a non-profit community hospital. Often makes a difference in treatment.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
I delivered in Southern Maryland Hospital in 2004 and it was wonderful. The staff was super friend, very accomidating to make sure you are as comfortable as possible. It was a good thing I delivered there as my little one had a severe bruising to his face due to the rapid decent and super strong contractions. My doctor also made a world of difference. He somehow managed to get me into a single room after the delivery and that was so nice.

We've had 2 kids at Civista. I, as dad, have no complaints.

Only way I will go to SoMd hospital is to visit a dying friend (they will probably entered the hospital with a broken toe).

poster

1999, I had the choice of Calvert & SoMD but because my doctor was at SoMD at the time he sent me to SoMD - I wanted to go to Calvert.

The experience was ok - had an unfriendly nurse but that could have been at either location, the room after delivery was not private. Having visited friends at Calvert since then I would still want to go there today.

However, my daughters "apgar" (sp?) scores were not very good and she very well may have been sent to SoMD without me had we been at Calvert.