"No Kill" Animal Shelter?

gw204

My wife and I have an approx. 11 year old female cat that we unfortunately need to give up. The reason is because we can't seem to get our very young son (18 months) to stop tormenting her. He chases her all over the house, pulls her tail, etc.

She does a great job of putting up with him, but it appears to have caused her some anxiety as she recently started going to the bathroom outside of her litter box. We do our best to keep the boy away from her and have tried a bunch of different litters (even that fancy Cat Attract stuff), but nothing seems to be working. I'll admit that I may be partially to blame for not cleaning the box as often as I should, but there are time when she does it despite the box being completely unused.

Based on the above, we've decided to give her up. We figure it's the only way to get her away from the boy at this point, which should stop stressing her out. The only problem is, we can't find any shelters that will take her due to her age and not plan to euthanize her. That is simply not an option.

So, does anyone know of a "no kill" shelter in Calvert, St. Mary or PG counties that we could take her to? Or, is there another option?

Thanks.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I'm not sure of any shelter that can help you.

I fail to understand, however. How do you discipline your child to stay away from other things?

L

luckystar

Find a good friend to take it, or alternatively, teach your child how to behave.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I tried to be nice. I never understand parents who can do things or have things because they can't discipline a child.

You were a lot nicer than what I'm thinking. Tormenting an animal is definitely something that should be...um...emphatically discouraged.

L

luckystar

I tried to be nice. I never understand parents who can do things or have things because they can't discipline a child.

I'm not even going to get my MPD.

I see no reason to be nice. People that give up on things in this manner because they can't keep their children from pulling their tails, or shutting up in the restaraunt, are the kind of people that make going out grocery shopping a terror.

tes218

My wife and I have an approx. 11 year old female cat that we unfortunately need to give up. The reason is because we can't seem to get our very young son (18 months) to stop tormenting her. He chases her all over the house, pulls her tail, etc.

She does a great job of putting up with him, but it appears to have caused her some anxiety as she recently started going to the bathroom outside of her litter box. We do our best to keep the boy away from her and have tried a bunch of different litters (even that fancy Cat Attract stuff), but nothing seems to be working. I'll admit that I may be partially to blame for not cleaning the box as often as I should, but there are time when she does it despite the box being completely unused.

Based on the above, we've decided to give her up. We figure it's the only way to get her away from the boy at this point, which should stop stressing her out. The only problem is, we can't find any shelters that will take her due to her age and not plan to euthanize her. That is simply not an option.

So, does anyone know of a "no kill" shelter in Calvert, St. Mary or PG counties that we could take her to? Or, is there another option?

Thanks.

Why not put the cat in a room with the litter box and close the door while your son is active and let the cat roam the house while he is asleep or out of the house. I would think at 18 months he is old enough to know the word "no" and the result if he should continue with his actions. What is his punishment for disobedience? Even at 18 months kids know when they've done something wrong.

Only other option would be to find someone that would personally take the cat. I don't believe you will find a shelter.

tes218

All this could be avoided if they'd just teach the child "no."

Agree! If you can't control him at 18 months what happens in his teen years?? At least now you can physically pick him up, give a stern "NO" and redirect. If that doesn't work after a few times a different type of correction is needed.

sockgirl77

It works. My kids pulled my hair once and I gave their hair a quick tug. Didn't hurt them but shocked them. They never did it again. Baby girl had a habit of finding one hair and pulling it. Ouch. Not anymore. Mommy put an end to that.