Accuweather: Well below-average hurricane season

MMDad

Lem Putt
Wirelessly posted (Change we can believe in!: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7) 320x240; VZW; Motorola-Q9c; Windows Mobile 6.0 Standard)

Beaver-Cleaver said:
10 named storms, 6 hurricanes, 2 major hurricanes.

AccuWeather.com - Weather Blogs - Weather News

But remember folks, Hurricane Andrew hit during a below average hurricane season that only produced 7 named storms and 4 hurricanes.

What a coincidence. Two disasters named Andrew in one thread.

bcp

In My Opinion
wait a minute here, were we not told to expect more and more severe hurricane seasons from now on because of global warming?

I just dont understand this, how can this be? Scientists even TOLD US we would see more and more severe storms.

I know they cant be wrong.

C

czygvtwkr

wait a minute here, were we not told to expect more and more severe hurricane seasons from now on because of global warming?

I just dont understand this, how can this be? Al Gore even TOLD US we would see more and more severe storms.

I know they cant be wrong.

Corrected

Pete

Repete
Wirelessly posted (Change we can believe in!: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7) 320x240; VZW; Motorola-Q9c; Windows Mobile 6.0 Standard)

:roflmao:

B

Beaver-Cleaver

bcp

In My Opinion
Now they're saying global warming is causing there to be fewer hurricanes.

Global warming may reduce number of hurricanes | National | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

:rolleyes:
You think this might be the reason people are not buying into this global warming thing? it causes everything, it causes nothing.
basically it causes whatever is going on different from the year before.

personally? I think we might just be seeing a natural change that would have still been occurring even if we were still walking around in grass skirts while killing small animals with a tree limb.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill

:roflmao:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Every time my in-laws board up their house in Savannah and evacuate, it always misses them and hits us here in Maryland. I was by myself during Hugo. Husband was in sunny California at the time. I was pregnant when Isabelle hit and our then 2 yr old son slept with me for safe-keeping. He kept groping me all night in his sleep. :mad:

muttdog

Weather men cant predict the weather right a week from now and they want us to beleve they can tell what is gonna happen months from now.:bs:

Alexa

You think this might be the reason people are not buying into this global warming thing? it causes everything, it causes nothing.
basically it causes whatever is going on different from the year before.

personally? I think we might just be seeing a natural change that would have still been occurring even if we were still walking around in grass skirts while killing small animals with a tree limb.

As with everything one hears in the media, it is a right agenda (i.e. global warming doesn't exists, weather changes are natural, so let the sky fall) or the right agenda (i.e. global warming exists, it is humans fault and we can't let the sky fall). Anyone who has gotten into the habit of trying to distance themselves from the three ring partisan circus on every issue, will find that the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle.

The rate of the changes have accelerated dramatically in relation to the natural patterns we observed millions of years in the past. Given that those changes have accelerated only since the industrial revolution, makes one take pause.

Are the temperatures on the planet warming up? Yes. Are weather patterns changing? Yes. Is it a natural progression? Yes. Are humans a factor? Yes.

McCain, during his campaign made perfect sense when addressing the question of global warming. Whether you believe or not isn't the issue. However, it makes sense to implement technology that would have zero affect on the environment.

C

czygvtwkr

Are the temperatures on the planet warming up? Yes. Are weather patterns changing? Yes. Is it a natural progression? Yes. Are humans a factor? Yes.

The truth is we don't know, but I think many are too arrogant to admit it.

I take measurements for a living and I know the uncertainty in a temperature measurement is fairly significant compared to the temperature increase that global warming proponents are saying that we have undergone. Now when we go to ice core samples to say what the temperature on earth was most people accept this as fact, however it is a bunch of assumptions, conjecture, and manipulating of the data to make it say what they want it to. The studies make no mention in uncertainty of the measurements and are not traceable to a NIST standard.

The truth is I can't say whether or not we are causing the earth to warm, but I can say without a shadow of a doubt that there is 99.9% politics with 0.1% science used to support the claims.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
The studies make no mention in uncertainty of the measurements and are not traceable to a NIST standard.

nor do they take into account that temperature sensing stations that replace stations in agricultural areas are being placed in areas naturally warmer (near large expanses of concrete, on the rear of large buildings) nor that all the temperature sensing stations in Siberia are no longer maintained nor taken into the averages. If you have temperatures that include higher readings due to placement of the stations or your "averages" no longer include the colder sensing stations, you inevitably demonstrate what's not there, global warming.

Alexa

The truth is we don't know, but I think many are too arrogant to admit it.

I take measurements for a living and I know the uncertainty in a temperature measurement is fairly significant compared to the temperature increase that global warming proponents are saying that we have undergone. Now when we go to ice core samples to say what the temperature on earth was most people accept this as fact, however it is a bunch of assumptions, conjecture, and manipulating of the data to make it say what they want it to. The studies make no mention in uncertainty of the measurements and are not traceable to a NIST standard.

The truth is I can't say whether or not we are causing the earth to warm, but I can say without a shadow of a doubt that there is 99.9% politics with 0.1% science used to support the claims.

The question whether the planet is warming up isn't up for debate. Hell, all we need to do is look outside our front doors to see the signs. There are several other factors that go into the hypothesis, migration patterns of the wild and botanical species are examples. It also is happening at a quicker rate when compared to the heating and cooling trends of the past.

We are in unprecedented territory, because we have no way of measuring our impact at all. Compare it to what? We can only compare it to the fossil records of the past. We may not be 100% correct, but we do have a pretty good idea of the length of time it took for the natural heating and cooling of the planet in the past. With the accelerated rate of heating and all of the other data, it brings a plausible question of whether or not we are a factor.

You can put a frog in a vat of boiling water and the frog will jump out sensing the immediate danger. However, if you put a frog in pot of water and then heat it up to the boiling point, the frog will not jump out. It will acclimate itself to the ever increasing temperatures of the water and will eventually be boiled alive, never sensing the pending danger. Humans, as proven time and time again, react in much the same way.

We can debate until the cows come home whether or not the warming of the planet is due to human activity or not. By the time the political grand standing is done or a definitive answer is known, it may be to late.

Again.......no matter what side of the debate one is on, it does make sense to implement technology that would be better for the environment, our resources and our lifestyles.