Chrysler Dealership Closings List

backagain39

Closing Chrysler Dealerships

Complete List

And Maryland list as follows:

FITZGERALD AUTO MALL INC J J FITZGERALD III DBA FITZGERALD DODGE 11411 ROCKVILLE PIKE KENSINGTON, MD 20895 Dodge, Dodge Truck MD 20895

FITZGERALS AUTOMOITVE FITZGERALD MOTORS INC JOHN FITZGERALD JR DBA FITZGERALD'S COUNTRYSIDE JEEP 11411 ROCKVILLE PIKE KENSINGTON, MD 20895 Jeep, Chrysler MD 20895

FROSTROM & SONS INC MARK S FROSTROM DBA FROSTROM & SONS INC 1727MARKET ST POCOMOKE CITY, MD 21851-3000 Jeep MD 21851

LAKEFOREST CHRYSLER JEEP, INC JOHN J FITZGERALD JR DBA LAKEFOREST CHRYSLER JEEP, INC 11411 ROCKVILLE PIKE KENSINGTON, MD 20895 Chrysler, Jeep MD 20895

LAUREL DODGE INC SAVA TSHONTIKIDIS 10052 NORTH WASHINGTON BLVD LAUREL, MD 20723 Dodge, Dodge Truck MD 20723

MONTROSE MOTORS INC DAVID R SHAUB JR DBA MONTROSE DODGE 19560
FREDERICK RD GERMANTOWN, MD 20876-1304 Dodge, Dodge Truck MD 20876

REED BROTHERS DODGE INC RICHARD L GARTNER 15955 FREDERICK ROAD
ROCKVILLE, MD 20855-2290 Dodge, Dodge Truck MD 20855

SCHAEFER & STROHMINGER INC LOUIS M SCHAEFER DBA SCHAEFER & STROHMINGER DODGE 1765 JOPPA ROAD BALTIMORE, MD 21234-3687 Dodge, Dodge Truck MD 21234

SHAFFER FORD INC RANDAL T SHAFFER DBA SHAFFER JEEP 10335 MT SAVAGE RD, NW CUMBERLAND, MD 21502 Jeep MD 21502

SKS AUTO PARK INC LOUIS M SCHAEFER DBA SCHAEFER & STROHMINGER DELMARVA 4212 RIDGE RD BALTIMORE, MD 21236 Chrysler, Dodge, Dodge Truck, Jeep MD 21236

WESTSIDE DODGE INC JOHN R DARVISH 11613 HIGHLAND FARM RD POTOMAC, MD 20854 Dodge, Dodge Truck MD 20854

WHEATON DODGE CITY INC JOHN J FITZGERALD 11411 ROCKVILLE PIKE KENSINGTON, MD 20895 Dodge, Dodge Truck MD 20895

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
The rules are a changin.

Now they can tell businesses they are out of business.. good thing Obama put his people in charge so nobody loses their jobs..

187 dealerships, how many people is that out of work??

Wait.. dealerships.. they aren't Union are they??

Multi TRILLION bailouts to keep the Union Workers employed ... but..

mindy

The rules are a changin.

Now they can tell businesses they are out of business.. good thing Obama put his people in charge so nobody loses their jobs..

Ahh..it was over 4x that many listed earlier.

I am also surprised none in Waldorf.

Yeah, Chrysler has announced 789 dealers that it wants to close, and GM plans to have 2,600 dealers close by 2010. NADA has estimated that about 40,000 jobs will be affected by the Chrysler closures, and about 140,000 will be affected by the GM closures.

For perspective, GM itself expects to have only 40,000 hourly employees in the U.S. by the end of 2010.

muttdog

The rules are a changin.

Nope, dealerships are not union, thats why they government doesnt give a crap about them.

awpitt

Main Streeter
The rules are a changin.

Yes, I'm sure that it. The seeds of this problem were planted at 12:01 this past Jan 20th. Before then, we had the best economy in history.

nana

Nana
They are suppose to be announcing the GM list this afternoon has anyone seen it yet I am behind firewalls here and can't search.
Thanks

They are suppose to be announcing the GM list this afternoon has anyone seen it yet I am behind firewalls here and can't search.
Thanks

I haven't seen anything yet. I listened to their conference call, but didn't hear anything about it. I would expect to see something soon though. They supposedly sent notices to the dealers today.

Thanks

I just read GM's press release. They indicate that they will not be releasing dealer names. So, if there is to be a list, someone will have to compile it from those dealers that choose to disclose that they got a notice. It should be noted though, these dealerships won't be closing immediately unless they choose to. GM wants them to wind down their operations, eventually closing at the end of 2010.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Yes, I'm sure that it. The seeds of this problem were planted at 12:01 this past Jan 20th. Before then, we had the best economy in history.

Some of these dealerships date back alomst 100 years..

They survived the DEPRESSION.. but they couldn't survive Obama..

AND nobody, not one person said any of these dealerships were losing money.. I mean if they were, as an individual dealership they'd already BE out of business... They are making enough money to stay afloat and keep all of these people employed..
But since Chav.. I mean Obama, has taken over the banks, and the Auto Industry, they have to abide by HIS rules..

I don't recall ANY sitting president naming Corporate CEO's.. and telling companies who is going to buy them out.. AND telling investors what return they will accept on their investment like it or not... AND re-prioritizing debtors/ investors in direct violation of contract law.

Chavez must be proud.. WAIT.. how did Chavez start?? What did he take over first in HIS country??

Now he runs the oil companies, the newspapers, almost ALL industry.. shutting down any form of communication that speaks out against him.. arrests anyone that can be seen as competition or voices opposition..

ANd just a few years ago they were a democracy..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I just read GM's press release. They indicate that they will not be releasing dealer names. So, if there is to be a list, someone will have to compile it from those dealers that choose to disclose that they got a notice. It should be noted though, these dealerships won't be closing immediately unless they choose to. GM wants them to wind down their operations, eventually closing at the end of 2010.

They don't want their 140,000 employees walking out the door and looking for new jobs before they close them down.. they'll keep it a secret until they come to work and find the doors chained shut.

There's going to be a GLUT of mechanics out there looking for work..

AGAIN.. HUGE Kudo's to FORD.. ALL of them deserve a HUGE bonus for foreseeing what was coming.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Some of these dealerships date back alomst 100 years..

They survived the DEPRESSION.. but they couldn't survive Obama..

AND nobody, not one person said any of these dealerships were losing money.. I mean if they were, as an individual dealership they'd already BE out of business... They are making enough money to stay afloat and keep all of these people employed..
But since Chav.. I mean Obama, has taken over the banks, and the Auto Industry, they have to abide by HIS rules..

I don't recall ANY sitting president naming Corporate CEO's.. and telling companies who is going to buy them out.. AND telling investors what return they will accept on their investment like it or not... AND re-prioritizing debtors/ investors in direct violation of contract law.

Chavez must be proud.. WAIT.. how did Chavez start?? What did he take over first in HIS country??

Now he runs the oil companies, the newspapers, almost ALL industry.. shutting down any form of communication that speaks out against him.. arrests anyone that can be seen as competition or voices opposition..

ANd just a few years ago they were a democracy..

There's a lot involved here. Bottom line, it didn't happen in the last four months. The "downfall" of the automakers started a long time ago. If BO was in office for a year at this point, your argument would be totally valid but he hasn't been. He admin hasn't even spanned a baseball season.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
There's a lot involved here. Bottom line, it didn't happen in the last four months. The "downfall" of the automakers started a long time ago. If BO was in office for a year at this point, your argument would be totally valid but he hasn't been. He admin hasn't even spanned a baseball season.

The administration before him did NOT take over the car companies.. he did. Doesn't matter if he was in office 100 days or ten days.. HE took over the companies.. extorting the company leaderhip for a "bailout"..

I don't know of ANY president that named CEO's to ANY company.. or told what company was going to buy their company out.

Chrysler got a bail out what, 20 years ago?? Who did the then President name to run the company?? How many dealerships did the government tell them to close?? Did ANYONE tell them how to run their company and make a profit.

Ford was in the same predicament, and at the last minute saw the writing on the wall and DIDN'T take the bail out.. they are the only US Auto Maker with the same CEO and BOD.. Who would have thought a President, and Congress would resort to extortion.. or Jesse Jackson business practices..

Again, I ask, how did Chavez get started in his country takeover?? How many similarities are there?

awpitt

Main Streeter
The administration before him did NOT take over the car companies.. he did. Doesn't matter if he was in office 100 days or ten days.. HE took over the companies.. extorting the company leaderhip for a "bailout"..

I don't know of ANY president that named CEO's to ANY company.. or told what company was going to buy their company out.

Chrysler got a bail out what, 20 years ago?? Who did the then President name to run the company?? How many dealerships did the government tell them to close?? Did ANYONE tell them how to run their company and make a profit.

Ford was in the same predicament, and at the last minute saw the writing on the wall and DIDN'T take the bail out.. they are the only US Auto Maker with the same CEO and BOD.. Who would have thought a President, and Congress would resort to extortion.. or Jesse Jackson business practices..

Again, I ask, how did Chavez get started in his country takeover?? How many similarities are there?

"HE" didn't "take them over". The CEO of Chrysler is Robert Nardelli. The CEO of GM is Fritz Henderson. The guys before them weren't doing to well. Both companies could have chose loan guarantees instead of free money. They chose free money which came with conditions.

Chrysler's 1979 bailout wasn't a bailout. Chrysler was given loan guarantees by the Congress and Pres Carter. The CEO was Lee Lacocca. All loans were paid back ahead of schedule.

"HE" didn't "take them over". The CEO of Chrysler is Robert Nardelli. The CEO of GM is Fritz Henderson. The guys before them weren't doing to well. Both companies could have chose loan guarantees instead of free money. They chose free money which came with conditions.

Chrysler's 1979 bailout wasn't a bailout. Chrysler was given loan guarantees by the Congress and Pres Carter. The CEO was Lee Lacocca. All loans were paid back ahead of schedule.

Fritz Henderson was selected by the Obama Administration. He replaced Rick Wagoner, whom the Administration asked to leave after GM's original restructuring plan did not give enough ownership to the UAW and the government. The government selected Henderson to oversee the new restructuring plan. Henderson was the former CFO, and suggesting that he had been doing a better job than Wagoner is without basis that I know of (I've never heard his efforts lauded, by industry people, in comparison to Wagoner's) - if the government wanted to get rid of the people who had messed up, keeping Henderson didn't make any sense.

The new restructuring plan, worked out by the new Administration selected CEO and the Administration's auto task force, calls for about 90% of the ownership in GM to belong to the U.S. government and the UAW. It doesn't make GM more viable than the original plan did, it only changes who owns it. Under the earlier plan proposed by GM, the bondholders would have owned much more of it, which would have been the fairer solution and the one more consistent with our laws (the bondholders hold more of the debt).

So, understanding what actually happened, and understanding a little of how this stuff works, it is hard to draw any conclusion other than that it was the goal of this Administration to control GM (as well as make sure that the UAW's interests faired better than the law dictates they should). We are choosing to forgive the debt we loaned them, and loan them even more money, so that that can be possible. GM could have been made more viable, probably with less money from taxpayers, if the Administration wasn't intent on having a controlling interest in GM going forward - that's the reality of the situation.

As for Chrysler, under the current plan, the American and Canadian governments are only getting a 10% ownership interest in it, but they will control the board which runs the company. The U.S. government will control 4 seats (out of 9) and the Canadian government will control 1.

So, while 'taking them over' is a somewhat vague and loosely defined notion, it is certainly not unfair to say that is what our government has done.

One last note, these companies didn't choose 'free money'. They took interest paying loans.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Fritz Henderson was selected by the Obama Administration. He replaced Rick Wagoner, whom the Administration asked to leave after GM's original restructuring plan did not give enough ownership to the UAW and the government. The government selected Henderson to oversee the new restructuring plan. Henderson was the former CFO, and suggesting that he had been doing a better job than Wagoner is without basis that I know of (I've never heard his efforts lauded, by industry people, in comparison to Wagoner's) - if the government wanted to get rid of the people who had messed up, keeping Henderson didn't make any sense.

The new restructuring plan, worked out by the new Administration selected CEO and the Administration's auto task force, calls for about 90% of the ownership in GM to belong to the U.S. government and the UAW. It doesn't make GM more viable than the original plan did, it only changes who owns it. Under the earlier plan proposed by GM, the bondholders would have owned much more of it, which would have been the fairer solution and the one more consistent with our laws (the bondholders hold more of the debt).

So, understanding what actually happened, and understanding a little of how this stuff works, it is hard to draw any conclusion other than that it was the goal of this Administration to control GM (as well as make sure that the UAW's interests faired better than the law dictates they should). We are choosing to forgive the debt we loaned them, and loan them even more money, so that that can be possible. GM could have been made more viable, probably with less money from taxpayers, if the Administration wasn't intent on having a controlling interest in GM going forward - that's the reality of the situation.

As for Chrysler, under the current plan, the American and Canadian governments are only getting a 10% ownership interest in it, but they will control the board which runs the company. The U.S. government will control 4 seats (out of 9) and the Canadian government will control 1.

So, while 'taking them over' is a somewhat vague and loosely defined notion, it is certainly not unfair to say that is what our government has done.

One last note, these companies didn't choose 'free money'. They took interest paying loans.

Thanks for the nice summary of what's been going on. This is refreshing. So many folks post things without really explaining why they feel the way they do other than their hate for the opposite party.

From what you've explained, the auotmakers haven't been nationalized but it does seem like the govt might have taken too much control.