buyers of estate jewelry

KingFish

Nothing to see here
Does any place locally in the southern maryland area sell jewelry on a consignment basis or buys items outright?

I received a mens ring that is too big for my taste. It is 14 kg, with some diamonds. I had a jewelry store appraise it and it came back at 10k.

I figure appraisals will be somewhat inflated and thought about selling it. I could use the cash more then the ring. I talked to some places that buy gold and such but they give you next to nothing. Said they are after scrap gold, silver, etc to melt down.

I wanted to try to get 40% appraisal value. Any idea's other then selling it myself on EBAY or similar?

:popcorn:

R

remaxrealtor

Does any place locally in the southern maryland area sell jewelry on a consignment basis or buys items outright?

I received a mens ring that is too big for my taste. It is 14 kg, with some diamonds. I had a jewelry store appraise it and it came back at 10k.

I figure appraisals will be somewhat inflated and thought about selling it. I could use the cash more then the ring. I talked to some places that buy gold and such but they give you next to nothing. Said they are after scrap gold, silver, etc to melt down.

I wanted to try to get 40% appraisal value. Any idea's other then selling it myself on EBAY or similar?

:popcorn:

Let me know if you come up with a good plan! i have an 18kt Cartier bracelet I'd like to sell.

I talked to one jeweler who takes 30%!!!!!!!!!!!!:cds:

KingFish

Nothing to see here
I glanced at the prices people get on ebay and seems like hardly anything moves. I am guessing people are scared someone is gonna rip them off.

I'll ask the obvious. Why not sell it to the jewelry store who appraised it for you?

You are already saying you will take $4K for it (i.e. 40% of the appraised value). One would think any of our local stores would at least help you broker this ring especially if you are willing to have such a gap between what you will take and its value.

I'll ask the obvious. Why not sell it to the jewelry store who appraised it for you?

You are already saying you will take $4K for it (i.e. 40% of the appraised value). One would think any of our local stores would at least help you broker this ring especially if you are willing to have such a gap between what you will take and its value.

If they appraised it for $10K, I very seriously doubt that they would pay $4K for it. I'd guess closer to $2K, and wouldn't be surprised if it was much less.

ohstate

What kind of appraisal did you ask for? Typically, they appraise at insurance value, but you can ask for other values as well.

I go to a jewelry store in McLean that has a lot of antique/vintage jewelry. They recently did an insurance appraisal and repair on a ring for me. I highly recommend them. You could call to see if they are currently purchasing antique/vintage rings. If not, they might be willing to direct you to someone who is. For that much money, it might be worth the trip up to see them as well.

About Solovey

KingFish

Nothing to see here
What kind of appraisal did you ask for? Typically, they appraise at insurance value, but you can ask for other values as well.

I go to a jewelry store in McLean that has a lot of antique/vintage jewelry. They recently did an insurance appraisal and repair on a ring for me. I highly recommend them. You could call to see if they are currently purchasing antique/vintage rings. If not, they might be willing to direct you to someone who is. For that much money, it might be worth the trip up to see them as well.

About Solovey

Thanks, I will check them out. As far as the appraisal, it says insurance purposes. I did not know there were several types of appraisal.

Last edited: