President Welcomed With "Thunderous Applause"

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
"SOUTH BEND, Ind. — President Barack Obama strode head-on Sunday into the stormy abortion debate and told graduates at America's leading Roman Catholic university that both sides must stop demonizing one another.

Obama acknowledged that "no matter how much we want to fudge it ... the fact is that at some level, the views of the two camps are irreconcilable." But he still implored the University of Notre Dame's graduating class and all in the U.S. to stop "reducing those with differing views to caricature. Open hearts. Open minds. Fair-minded words. It's a way of life that always has been the Notre Dame tradition."

One of the noisiest controversies of his young presidency flared after Obama, who supports abortion rights but says the procedure should be rare, was invited to speak at the school and receive an honorary degree. "I do not suggest that the debate surrounding abortion can or should go away," the president said."

More at:Obama Notre Dame Speech: President Welcomed With "Thunderous Applause"

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
"SOUTH BEND, Ind. — President Barack Obama strode head-on Sunday into the stormy abortion debate and told graduates at America's leading Roman Catholic university that even though I've led the support for murdering babies and then grinding them up for stem cells, you must stop demonizing me. Oh, and I won.

:fixed:

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
"SOUTH BEND, Ind. — President Barack Obama strode head-on Sunday into the stormy abortion debate and told graduates at America's leading Roman Catholic university that both sides must stop demonizing one another.

Obama acknowledged that "no matter how much we want to fudge it ... the fact is that at some level, the views of the two camps are irreconcilable." But he still implored the University of Notre Dame's graduating class and all in the U.S. to stop "reducing those with differing views to caricature. Open hearts. Open minds. Fair-minded words. It's a way of life that always has been the Notre Dame tradition."

One of the noisiest controversies of his young presidency flared after Obama, who supports abortion rights but says the procedure should be rare, was invited to speak at the school and receive an honorary degree. "I do not suggest that the debate surrounding abortion can or should go away," the president said."

:killingme

This from the man who taught Alinsky's rules for radicals! Priceless.

5. "Ridicule is man's most potent weapon. It is almost impossible to counteract ridicule. Also it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to your advantage."

ImnoMensa

Obama is happy, he got to go to a catholic college and mock Our lady.
It is far from over. We will see what happens with Father Jenkins, with Notre Dames Alumni, with students looking for a catholic College instead of Notre Dame. Notre Dame may pay big time for this , but Obama is happy , he got to show his arrogance, and get his ass kissed.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
If college graduates are applauding Obama, I'd be wondering about the quality of their education.

Apparetnly they don't have math skills, or economic skills.. but could probably tell you where Paris Hilton was last night.

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
Obama is happy, he got to go to a catholic college and mock Our lady. It is far from over. We will see what happens with Father Jenkins, with Notre Dames Alumni, with students looking for a catholic College instead of Notre Dame. Notre Dame may pay big time for this , but Obama is happy , he got to show his arrogance, and get his ass kissed.

Father Jenkins is the hero in this affair. The President mocked no one. Notre Dame will survive and flourish and both Catholics and non-Catholics will continue to enroll there. You sir, are a fool.

“Respect and love ought to be extended also to those who think or act differently than we do in social, political and even religious matters. In fact, the more deeply we come to understand their ways of thinking through such courtesy and love, the more easily will we be able to enter into dialogue with them.” (Gaudium et Spes)

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Father Jenkins is the hero in this affair. The President mocked no one. Notre Dame will survive and flourish and both Catholics and non-Catholics will continue to enroll there. You sir, are a fool.

“Respect and love ought to be extended also to those who think or act differently than we do in social, political and even religious matters. In fact, the more deeply we come to understand their ways of thinking through such courtesy and love, the more easily will we be able to enter into dialogue with them.” (Gaudium et Spes)

Is the President Catholic??

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
What really ironic is that 52% of the people who voted for the Muslim, are Catholic.:war:

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits

A great quote. Unfortunately, the Prez has demonstrated that he doesn't believe it applies to him.

Cletus_Vandam

What really ironic is that 52% of the people who voted for the Muslim, are Catholic.:war:

I said the same thing when I heard this. Too bad there isn't a Mulligan when it comes to voting.

It's only going to get worse. Between the Prez showing his arse every week and the VP disclosing classified information, we all need to learn how to speak Arabic [or will it need to Chinese].

eddy1

If college graduates are applauding Obama, I'd be wondering about the quality of their education.

Apparetnly they don't have math skills, or economic skills.. but could probably tell you where Paris Hilton was last night.

Or it could be that their education has taught them well. Taught them something missing in our society. Taught them that when a person in a leadership role is presented, we are polite and respectful. No matter if we disagree with their politics, we respect the office and give them the appropriate measure of respect for that office. Maybe these students are exactly what this country needs. People who can debate when it is appropriate and be respectful when it is appropriate, and share in the American view that we are democratic and when the election is over, we join together as Americans.

bcp

In My Opinion
Catholic in Name only.
God works in mysterious ways.
Maybe by putting a muslim in charge people will see how much better it is in a Christian society than in a Heathen society and a reversal of policy will begin.
maybe, just maybe this is the first step of opening the doors for Jesus Christ at the schools and in the country as a whole.

ImnoMensa

Or it could be that their education has taught them well. Taught them something missing in our society. Taught them that when a person in a leadership role is presented, we are polite and respectful. No matter if we disagree with their politics, we respect the office and give them the appropriate measure of respect for that office. Maybe these students are exactly what this country needs. People who can debate when it is appropriate and be respectful when it is appropriate, and share in the American view that we are democratic and when the election is over, we join together as Americans.

Notre Dame failed to teach it's students the First Commandment.

Probably because Father Jenkins forgot it himself.

depechemode

Enjoy the Silence

Sorry, probably not. While I was not a fan of Bush I guarantee he would not have been awarded that respect in most colleges, except maybe the service academies.
Face it, most college students tend to fall on the liberal side. I think this is two folded. First college in general tends to be a liberal environment. Secondly most college students are not paying for their education, either their parents or the state is (even if through low cost loans they have to pay back, AFTER they graduate). So they have that entitlement (for lack of a better word) attitude. Most have never had to work for anything, except maybe some spending money.
I was a flaming liberal in college. As I have gotten older I have become more moderate. While I do not think I will ever cross into the conservative field, I know I will never feel way left again, now that I am being directly affected financially.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!

Did he end the commencement with GOD DAMN AMERICA??? :killingme

eddy1

Sorry, probably not. While I was not a fan of Bush I guarantee he would not have been awarded that respect in most colleges, except maybe the service academies.
Face it, most college students tend to fall on the liberal side. I think this is two folded. First college in general tends to be a liberal environment. Secondly most college students are not paying for their education, either their parents or the state is (even if through low cost loans they have to pay back, AFTER they graduate). So they have that entitlement (for lack of a better word) attitude. Most have never had to work for anything, except maybe some spending money. I was a flaming liberal in college. As I have gotten older I have become an idiot. While I do not think I will ever cross into the conservative field, I know I will never feel way left again, now that I am being directly affected financially.

Maybe you know not of which you speak!

Remarks by President Bush in Commencement Address
President George Bush • Date: May 20, 2001

Thank you, Father Malloy. And thank you all for that warm welcome.

Chairman McCartan, Father Scully , Dr. Hatch, Notre Dame trustees, members of the class of 2001.

It is a high privilege to receive this degree. I'm particularly pleased that it bears the great name of Notre Dame. My brother, Jeb, may be the Catholic in the family, but between us, I'm the only Domer......

It's easy to do a little research before you open your mouth and insert your foot!

eddy1

Notre Dame failed to teach it's students the First Commandment.

Probably because Father Jenkins forgot it himself.

While I disagreed with Bill Clinton's position on abortion, he was my commander in chief while I was in the military. I afforded him with the same courtesy I would afford any commander in chief. I applauded when he came to speak to us, and I respected his authority.

The students of Notre Dame are a diverse group. You can't lump them into a category because they respect this nations democratic values and join together as Americans to respect the leader of this country.

Alexa

Muslim, that's why he bowed to the Saudi king.

No, the President is not Catholic. He is Christian. Anyone who makes the claim that he is Muslim, does nothing more than amplify their own bigotry for one and shows that they have learned nothing from our past history. It wasn't so long ago that "Gasp" a dirty old Catholic was elected President. :cds: He didn't last long in office, assassinated before his first term was done.Obviously the lesson has been lost on many.

Besides, it should NOT make a difference whether one is Christian, Catholic, Protestant, Muslim, Mormon, Hindu, Buddhist or Atheist whether one gets a job in this country, be it Wal-Mart to President.:bonk:

Last edited: