Mother, cancer-stricken son on the run

PantherWoman

Authorities sought to arrest the mother of a 13-year-old boy with cancer who refuses chemotherapy after she fled with her son and missed a court hearing Tuesday.

The cancer is considered highly curable with chemotherapy and radiation, but Daniel quit chemo after one treatment. With his parents, he opted instead for ''alternative medicines,'' citing religious beliefs. That led authorities to seek custody. Rodenberg last week ruled that Daniel's parents, Colleen and Anthony Hauser, were medically neglecting him.

Mother, cancer-stricken son on the run - Nation - MiamiHerald.com

Cowgirl

I'm guessing chemo is no walk in the park. If the boy doesn't want to do it, why should they make him? Freaking ridiculous. It's just one big mess.

Last edited:

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
Good for her! And good for him! I'm rooting for their escape! And for their RIGHTS!! I know you'll all probably blast me for this, but it's not the courts place to FORCE him and his parents into any kind of treatment. They are doing what they believe in, what they think is best and what their son wants. If they choose to do alternative/holistic treatment and not chemo, so be it. THAT should be THEIR choice!!!!! And now the courts have taken custody away from the parents?!?!? Oh hell no!!! I'd run too! I love my children more than my life, and of course I would get them any treatment they needed to save their lives, but it should my choice (and my child's) how we handle it, not the courts or ANYBODY else's.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
Good for her! And good for him! I'm rooting for their escape! And for their RIGHTS!! I know you'll all probably blast me for this, but it's not the courts place to FORCE him and his parents into any kind of treatment. They are doing what they believe in, what they think is best and what their son wants. If they choose to do alternative/holistic treatment and not chemo, so be it. THAT should be THEIR choice!!!!! And now the courts have taken custody away from the parents?!?!? Oh hell no!!! I'd run too! I love my children more than my life, and of course I would get them any treatment they needed to save their lives, but it should my choice (and my child's) how we handle it, not the courts or ANYBODY else's.
After one treatment you would stop? Its the best way to save your childs life?

They noticed a change in the tumor after even the first treatment...and you would stop?

They boy can't read...so you are going to tell me he understands what is going on? Or that mom freaked and she is feeding him lines?

awpitt

Main Streeter
I'm guessing chemo is no walk in the park. If the boy doesn't want to do it, why should they make him? Freaking ridiculous. It's just one big mess.

We make kids do things they don't want to do all the time. Go to school, go to bed, eat your vegies, go to the DR and get your shots. You're right, chemo is no walk in the park but if it will save the kid's life, they should do it. The kid is not old enough to decide and one of the parents seems to be willing to sign the consent forms. That's all that's needed.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
Where did you read that?
Elbert added that he does not believe Daniel -- who, according to court papers, cannot read -- has enough information to make an informed decision regarding his treatment.
Daniel's symptoms of persistent cough, fatigue and swollen lymph nodes were diagnosed in January as Hodgkins lymphoma. In February, the cancer responded well to an initial round of chemotherapy, but the treatment's side effects concerned the boy's parents, who then opted not to pursue further chemo and instead sought other medical opinions.
Mother, son missing in forced chemotherapy case - CNN.com

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
After one treatment you would stop? Its the best way to save your childs life?

They noticed a change in the tumor after even the first treatment...and you would stop?

They boy can't read...so you are going to tell me he understands what is going on? Or that mom freaked and she is feeding him lines?

No of course "I" wouldn't. But it should be our choice what treatment we pursue.

And yes, I've seen this boy and his mom over and over ( I'm an HLN junkie)and I believe he knows exactly what he's up against. He may not read, but he's not stupid. And regardless, I still whole heartedly believe it is not the states business to interfere.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
No of course "I" wouldn't. But it should be our choice what treatment we pursue.

And yes, I've seen this boy and his mom over and over ( I'm an HLN junkie)and I believe he knows exactly what he's up against. He may not read, but he's not stupid. And regardless, I still whole heartedly believe it is not the states business to interfere.
But if it was helping...and one parent is ok with this...I don't see why they shouldn't have him go threw it!!

I am not saying who is right or wrong. I just think maybe Mom was/is wrong.

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
But if it was helping...and one parent is ok with this...I don't see why they shouldn't have him go threw it!!

I am not saying who is right or wrong. I just think maybe Mom was/is wrong.

I can't imagine making the choice they've made. I would do EVERYTHING medically and alternatively, and in my power to save my child. I only know that it should be MY choice.

awpitt

Main Streeter
...., but it's not the courts place to FORCE him and his parents into any kind of treatment.

Actually the courts do have a place here. Also, the Dad wants his son to get the treatment.

They are doing what they believe in, what they think is best and what their son wants.

So if they decide it's bad for their son to eat, it's their right to starve him?

If they choose to do alternative/holistic treatment and not chemo, so be it. THAT should be THEIR choice!!!!!

Is there even any background on this so called "alternative/holistic" treatment? Is it proven or just a bunch of BS? From what the DRs are saying, this kid's condition is curable with chemo and radiation.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Should be the parents right to choose the child's treatment even if no one else in the entire world agrees with it.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Should be the parents right to choose the child's treatment even if no one else in the entire world agrees with it.

You're right, as long as the parent's choices are in the best interests of the child. In this case, no one is disputing that the kids has a 95 percent chance of survival with the treatment and a 90 percent chance of dying without.

Pooh31

If it were my child I would do whatever it would take to say her. I would not take off and run when the cancer is cureable, I would feel like I gave my child a death sentence.

Cowgirl

I wonder why the child can't read. Is it something like dyslexia or did the parents neglect his schooling? If it's the latter, then I don't know that they have his best interest in mind. If that's the case, I think he should be put into foster care until more can be found out.

Pooh31

I wonder why the child can't read. Is it something like dyslexia or did the parents neglect his schooling? If it's the latter, then I don't know that they have his best interest in mind. If that's the case, I think he should be put into foster care until more can be found out.

I was wondering the same thing. Also, how many 13 year olds do you know that can make life changing decisions like this. This is a decision that I would not let a 13 year old make.

Christy

b*tch rocket

Yes.

As much as I don't agree with her decision, and think that she is a complete nutball, the government should have no say whatsoever. It is the slippery slope of more and more government encroachment in to our lives. Do you want the government making medical decisions for your family?

How about if the government decides all females of a certain age are required to go on birth control? You think that can't happen? Take a look at what happened with that stupid HPV vaccine. States were lining up to make it a mandatory vaccine for girls until a bunch of girls had horrible side effects from the vaccine.

Sure, you can say I am comparing apples and oranges, but in this day and age, one can't be too careful when it comes to accepting the government in the role of the parent. It sets a precedent that can and will be leveraged upon. :shrug: