750 Pound Dead Lady Hauled Away On Flatbed....

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
"INDIANAPOLIS -- The Marion County Coroner's Office has come under fire after it was revealed that an obese woman was dragged from her home and hauled away on a trailer in front of family members following her death.

Teresa Smith, 48, who weighed 750 pounds, died Tuesday in her apartment on Indianapolis' northeast side.

Officials at the scene told 6News' Jack Rinehart that the deputy coroner made the decision to call a towing service to remove the body from the home.

"We debated for quite a while about how we were going to get her out of there and so we finally decided, since we didn't have a van that was large enough to carry her, it was decided between (the police) department and the coroner's office to use (the truck)," said Detective Marcus Kennedy."

Obese Woman Dragged From Home, Hauled Away After Death - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis

ImnoMensa

Pretty stupid bunch. Most places use a Salvage Cover and manpower.

Ordinary blankets or sheets just wont do the job . It certainly isnt unusual to call the Fire Department to handle these delicate jobs and if they leave the cot out of the Ambulance there is enough space to carry them . It is tough to do this with dignity, but dragging a person out on a mattress using a winch and loading her onto a rollback is more than a little undignified.

Pretty stupid bunch. Most places use a Salvage Cover and manpower.

Ordinary blankets or sheets just wont do the job . It certainly isnt unusual to call the Fire Department to handle these delicate jobs and if they leave the cot out of the Ambulance there is enough space to carry them . It is tough to do this with dignity, but dragging a person out on a mattress using a winch and loading her onto a rollback is more than a little undignified.
And letting yourself get to be a 750 lb. hunk of lardazz IS dignified?

BadGirl

I am so very blessed

Ed Zachary..

They had one on TV that was a little bigger than her, and she talked about getting dragged out of the house on a tarp, after they cut a hole in the side of her house to pull her out through.

Firedepartments and ambualance services normally don't have the material needed to handle people that size.

Thy did what they had to do, before she started to rot.

bcp

In My Opinion
"I think they should have handled it differently, putting her on a flatbed like they did. That was like putting a cow up there," said Smith's boyfriend, David Johnson.

I think this clears it up.

bcp

In My Opinion
The cow they could have cut up with a chain saw, and taken out in a pick-up truck.. that COULD have been another option.
well, it is the holiday weekend, and people will be grillin,,,

ok, Im done, Im taking my insensitive ass over to the corner and slap myself now.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
well, it is the holiday weekend, and people will be grillin,,,

ok, Im done, Im taking my insensitive ass over to the corner and slap myself now.

Just goes to show, all you need is the right equipment and willingness. I guess this Arkansas farmer and I should come along with you to the corner.

Attachments

• Razorback.jpg
    Razorback.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 79

new_dad

Emergency services

Firemen and EMTs have to transport obese people while they are still alive, why not call them to transport when they are deceased. In most ambulances the middle track comes out to reveal a flat large surface/

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Firemen and EMTs have to transport obese people while they are still alive, why not call them to transport when they are deceased. In most ambulances the middle track comes out to reveal a flat large surface/

How does one get a 750 dead weight body onto and off of that large, flat surface?

Christy

b*tch rocket
How does one get a 750 dead weight body onto and off of that large, flat surface?

From the reports I read, they had the medical equipment and the ability to be able to remove the woman with some semblance of dignity. It doesn't matter how fat she was, or even how she got that way. It's a sad state of affairs when as a society we feel justified in doing horrible things to people based solely on their appearance.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
From the reports I read, they had the medical equipment and the ability to be able to remove the woman with some semblance of dignity. It doesn't matter how fat she was, or even how she got that way. It's a sad state of affairs when as a society we feel justified in doing horrible things to people based solely on their appearance.

While I agree that this was insensitively handled, I don't agree that we feel "...justified in doing horrible things...." based on this story.

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome

I think it would be hard to move 750 lbs. of dead weight, with dignity.

Christy

b*tch rocket
While I agree that this was insensitively handled, I don't agree that we feel "...justified in doing horrible things...." based on this story.

Read some of the comments after the article that people have posted, as well as some that are posted in this thread. That is what I'm referring to. I just simply don't understand the mindset. If a normal sized person had this done to them everyone would be all up in arms, but since this woman was 750 lbs, all of the sudden it makes it okay?

And it isn't even really about the woman, it is about her family. Although, I do have to wonder why the family didn't step up and do something about it themselves. :shrug:

mAlice

professional daydreamer

That's all fine and good, but it still doesn't answer my question.

ImnoMensa

I dont consider her a 750 Lardazz, I consider her a human being.

You might think about that yourself. certainly in one way or another she made herself into what she was, but an alcoholic's body killed in an auto accident when he was drunk would not be thrown on the back of the rollback.
His body would be treated with dignity.

Fire Departments are called on to do most any job that cannot be handled by ordinary means , they do have chain saws, and heavy lifting equipment, and mostly , they have manpower. If this lady had to go to the hospital it would have been handled. We have 3 heavy duty squads in St. Mary's County now , any one of which could have handled this job, I am sure this place had one somewhere.

Throwing an old rug over her was disgraceful, someone could have found some sheets or some thing better than an old rug.

It's easy to make jokes about fat people or ugly people, but they have family the same as all of us have, They are entitled not be treated in this manner.