GM offering "lay-off" insurance

foodcritic

So, I am watchting TV the other day and I see that GM is offering potential buyers a 7mo. "no worry" purchase. In essence if you lose your job after buying a new GM they will let you skate for 7 months..

Is this what GM is doing with the bail out money??? :killingme

bcp

In My Opinion
GM must be hurting bad.
because I was feeling lazy, I took my truck down yesterday and had the fuel filter changed, the oil changed and the spin on transmission filter changed.
Over 300 bucks.
so I get to looking at the bill,
trans filter, $79.00, I get the same filter from Allison for 12.77.

So I sorta asked about this.
It was explained that the dealership was under contract to buy all of their supplies from GM. GM jerked the price up. Of course the dealership has to make a dollar, and I cant blame them there, so by the time its all said and done, that filter is 80 bucks.

I think they just knocked the lazy right out of me.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Is Saturn doing something similar to this? I thought I saw something along those lines.

This_person

So, I am watchting TV the other day and I see that GM is offering potential buyers a 7mo. "no worry" purchase. In essence if you lose your job after buying a new GM they will let you skate for 7 months..

Is this what GM is doing with the bail out money??? :killingme
Most of the companies are doing this now. It's necessary in an Obama-world economy to protect people against the inevitable decline of the economy he's causing.

Now, if they'd done this with their workers, perhaps there wouldn't have been unions, and they'd still be competitive in the auto market.

muttdog

GM must be hurting bad.
because I was feeling lazy, I took my truck down yesterday and had the fuel filter changed, the oil changed and the spin on transmission filter changed.
Over 300 bucks.
so I get to looking at the bill,
trans filter, $79.00, I get the same filter from Allison for 12.77.

So I sorta asked about this.
It was explained that the dealership was under contract to buy all of their supplies from GM. GM jerked the price up. Of course the dealership has to make a dollar, and I cant blame them there, so by the time its all said and done, that filter is 80 bucks.

I think they just knocked the lazy right out of me.

Hate to say it but you got porked, dealer price is only $40, still higher than aftermarket filter, but 79 is a little high. Might wanna look into another dealer for your work.

bcp

In My Opinion
Hate to say it but you got porked, dealer price is only $40, still higher than aftermarket filter, but 79 is a little high. Might wanna look into another dealer for your work.
I know I did. Last year it was 38.
I told them that it was the last time I would be bringing the truck to them.
they seemed confused that I would feel that way.
went so far as to let them know my next truck would be ford.. it wont, but still.