Obama has ticked off the Queen of England

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
The New York Times > Log In

This is just wrong. Queen Elizabeth is not only a representative of her country, but she also is a Veteran.

Excerpt:
"...she was not invited to join President Obama and France’s president, Nicolas Sarkozy, next week at commemorations of the 65th anniversary of the D-Day landings in Normandy, according to reports published in Britain’s mass-circulation tabloid newspapers on Wednesday. Pointedly, Buckingham Palace did not deny the reports.

The queen, who is 83, is the only living head of state who served in uniform during World War II. As Elizabeth Windsor, service number 230873, she volunteered as a subaltern in the Women’s Auxiliary Territorial Service, training as a driver and a mechanic. Eventually, she drove military trucks in support roles in England."

This is just wrong. Queen Elizabeth is not only a representative of her country, but she also is a Veteran.

Excerpt:
"...she was not invited to join President Obama and France’s president, Nicolas Sarkozy, next week at commemorations of the 65th anniversary of the D-Day landings in Normandy, according to reports published in Britain’s mass-circulation tabloid newspapers on Wednesday. Pointedly, Buckingham Palace did not deny the reports.

The queen, who is 83, is the only living head of state who served in uniform during World War II. As Elizabeth Windsor, service number 230873, she volunteered as a subaltern in the Women’s Auxiliary Territorial Service, training as a driver and a mechanic. Eventually, she drove military trucks in support roles in England."

She should send the MP3 player back with Monty Python clips on it.

Alexa

Excerpt:

This is a perfect case of someone only seeing what they want to. Read it again. I read it and some of the English papers. It is debated on who dropped the ball. Both Sarkozy and PM Brown dropped the ball. Sarkozy should have extended a formal invitation; the one he did extend albeit, not a formal one, was to the PM Brown, who intimated that he wanted to attend.

According to the French, traditional protocol up to now had been that the Queen attend every ten years. She never attended every year. However, given the age of the veterans, the Queen now feels that it is important that she attend all of them. PM Brown, never spoke up for the Queen. He got his invite and that was that.

The Sarkozy viewed it as an French-American event and Obama of course, was given the invite as President of the United States.

Yes, it was wrong not to invite the Queen, but Obama had nothing to do with that. It's not his place.

Sorry Charlie!

morningbell

hmmmmmm
She should send the MP3 player back with Monty Python clips on it.

Benny Hill :wink:

Why is she mad at him - he was invited by the French and it wasn't his place to invite her, it wasn't his party. I read the entire article - I didn't see anything about her being mad at him - in fact I googled this - Sarkozy (sp?) was responsible for inviting (or in this case not inviting) the queen. I agree that it's wrong and she should have been invited but Obama is not responsible for the snub.

:yeahthat: Reminds me of some thing you'd see in the "Real Housewives" series :rolleyes:

PsyOps

Pixelated
Why is she mad at him - he was invited by the French and it wasn't his place to invite her, it wasn't his party. I read the entire article - I didn't see anything about her being mad at him - in fact I googled this - Sarkozy (sp?) was responsible for inviting (or in this case not inviting) the queen. I agree that it's wrong and she should have been invited but Obama is not responsible for the snub.

Oh, so the queen is racist. :ohwell:

awpitt

Main Streeter
This is a perfect case of someone only seeing what they want to. Read it again. I read it and some of the English papers. It is debated on who dropped the ball. Both Sarkozy and PM Brown dropped the ball. Sarkozy should have extended a formal invitation; the one he did extend albeit, not a formal one, was to the PM Brown, who intimated that he wanted to attend.

According to the French, traditional protocol up to now had been that the Queen attend every ten years. She never attended every year. However, given the age of the veterans, the Queen now feels that it is important that she attend all of them. PM Brown, never spoke up for the Queen. He got his invite and that was that.

The Sarkozy viewed it as an French-American event and Obama of course, was given the invite as President of the United States.

Yes, it was wrong not to invite the Queen, but Obama had nothing to do with that. It's not his place.

Sorry Charlie!

It's amazing what happens when one reads the entire article and not just the parts that supports their hate of BO. Well, none of the artcle did but that doesn't matter to some.

Alexa

Because she is blaming the wrong person (Obama). It must be because he is black and she is white.

:doh: Before jumping on a bandwagon you don't have a clue about, I would suggest going back and reading the articles. Once you get that clue, you will find she isn't angry with Obama.

Really Now!

Toxick

Splat
:doh: Before jumping on a bandwagon you don't have a clue about, I would suggest going back and reading the articles. Once you get that clue, you will find she isn't angry with Obama.

Really Now!

I'm not totally sure - but I'm pretty sure Psy was being facetious.

ImnoMensa

Cant blame this one on Obama, but whoever did it sure kicked the old girl in the teeth and its pretty friggin low.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
And the thread brought down the wrath of the two vocal black Obama-lovin' wimmens didn't it?