How much raise to ask for

S

shortguy

How much should you ask for in a 2nd year review on the job?

BernieP

Resident PIA

ask for as much as you want - - - -

They can only say no - - - - -

That can lead to negotiations - - - - -

or

they can fire your ass and hire someone cheaper.

Go for it.

B

BET

Monster.com has salary tables that are based on what you do, your experience level, and where you live. You could look up what others are making in the area and use that to guide what to ask for.

"http://monster.salary.com/"

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweet 16

^^8^^

I have heard of ways to negotiate for a better than normal raise but never been on a job where I can ask for a specific amount. It seems a little presumptuous for only 2 years on the job. But if that's the case, I would do like the others said and research market rates for your area of expertise, years of experience and the area you live in and go from there.

S

shortguy

Well it's not like we get what we ask...it's more of a "what I think I deserve."

NTNG

" To serve is a pleasure, the pay, merely an extra.."

"We keep you alive to serve the ship"

Signs above a previous bosses desk..

Sweet 16

^^8^^
Well it's not like we get what we ask...it's more of a "what I think I deserve."

Be careful with that attitude. A little humility goes a long way. That said, if you think you *deserve* it, be prepared to back it up with plenty of documentation of your accomplishments as justification for a raise. Don't assume your boss is doing this, as they will want you to provide proof to them that you deserve it. Good luck!

tercel95

It depends how valuable you are... You didn't even post what you do for a living... If you are replaceable stick with the standard cost of living raise, if you are extremely valuable make sure you argue that side... Typically a large company cannot give more than 8% without some type of approval up the chain...

T

toppick08

Performance/ production = pay............'nuff said.....you get what you deserve.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Performance/ production = pay............'nuff said.....you get what you deserve.

Unfortunately supply and demand trump performance. What it comes down to is how easily can your employer replace you / what's it worth to him to retain your services?
What do other people doing your job make? (Regardless of experience)
When it comes to employee compensation most employers are looking at the cost first. I've seen to many poor performers get pay raises simply because finding a replacement would have been more difficult. I've also seen some fine people let go, simply because they now cost to much. Excellent employees with a proven record of performance were replaced by someone with far less experience but at a reduced cost.

eddy1

YOU don't ask. There should be a "pay scale" in your HR Office. There should be NO SURPRISES at this review...:coffee:

Easy there shortbread. Not everyone has a pay scale. If your employer told you there would be a review, if you are basing it on cost of living, and your company can afford it, I would suggest between 3 to 4 %. These are general cost of living increases, say for retirees. With the economy the way it is, many companies are not offering colas for fiscal 2010.

T

toppick08

Unfortunately supply and demand trump performance. What it comes down to is how easily can your employer replace you / what's it worth to him to retain your services?
What do other people doing your job make? (Regardless of experience)
When it comes to employee compensation most employers are looking at the cost first. I've seen to many poor performers get pay raises simply because finding a replacement would have been more difficult. I've also seen some fine people let go, simply because they now cost to much. Excellent employees with a proven record of performance were replaced by someone with far less experience but at a reduced cost.

depends on tons per man hour........:buddies: