DONATION.... Without good PR... are you crazy!!!!

SG_Player1974

So, I have been in contact with a good friend of mine stationed overseas in Iraq. We have known each other for some time now and many times that I have spoken to him, he tells me about the problems he is having with his Ipod. After hearing about this many, many times, I get the idea to take it upon myself to try to petition some of the nationwide chain stores as well as Apple Inc. to possibly donate a new Ipod for him. This soon snowballed into my own effort to try to get many units to ship overseas to my friend as well as other people in his unit.
At first it seemed foolish, however I kept telling myself that it is for a good cause and I should just keep on trying.
Well, after 2 months of requests to stores like Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Comp USA, Kmart, as well as Apple itself, I have come to the realization that these big name chain stores and manufacturers have a common motto.

WE ONLY DONATE OUR PRODUCTS TO GET GOOD PR FROM IT!!!!

Thats basically the bottom line! I even sent a request letter to Apple every day for 2 months and never even received an email or response of any kind to explain my side of the story. Most other stores emailed me (after several weeks of requests) to tell me that they only donate or contribute to corporate charity institutions (VFW, USO, etc.)
I realize that these companies need to be wary of scams however, I have even offered my friends mailing address overseas and his command address to ship it to so it could go directly to them.
I guess someone needs the backing of a major institution and the ability to provide nationwide PR to these companies in order to get their support.
Its a shame though. It would have been nice to be able to help.

Robin

So, I have been in contact with a good friend of mine stationed overseas in Iraq. We have known each other for some time now and many times that I have spoken to him, he tells me about the problems he is having with his Ipod. After hearing about this many, many times, I get the idea to take it upon myself to try to petition some of the nationwide chain stores as well as Apple Inc. to possibly donate a new Ipod for him. This soon snowballed into my own effort to try to get many units to ship overseas to my friend as well as other people in his unit.
At first it seemed foolish, however I kept telling myself that it is for a good cause and I should just keep on trying.
Well, after 2 months of requests to stores like Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Comp USA, Kmart, as well as Apple itself, I have come to the realization that these big name chain stores and manufacturers have a common motto.

WE ONLY DONATE OUR PRODUCTS TO GET GOOD PR FROM IT!!!!

Thats basically the bottom line! I even sent a request letter to Apple every day for 2 months and never even received an email or response of any kind to explain my side of the story. Most other stores emailed me (after several weeks of requests) to tell me that they only donate or contribute to corporate charity institutions (VFW, USO, etc.)
I realize that these companies need to be wary of scams however, I have even offered my friends mailing address overseas and his command address to ship it to so it could go directly to them.
I guess someone needs the backing of a major institution and the ability to provide nationwide PR to these companies in order to get their support.
Its a shame though. It would have been nice to be able to help.

Try to contact Stevie Nicks,Stevie Nicks Donate Ipods to the Troops! (honey!)

Robin

contact all these and see if there is that type of program still in effect. Might help your soldier abroad.

SG_Player1974

6+ months later

Well.... here I am 6+ months later and I still have the same problems! It seems that there are no companies, corporations, even local stores that will donate for our troops unless they can get either a tax write off or good PR from it. I think this is just going to come to an end with no resolution. I have talked to HUNDREDS of retailers, manufacturers, etc. and have gotten ZERO participation!
Goes to show you that the old addage " One person CAN change the world" is actually FALSE!

..... Unless that one person can provide excellent PR for a company!

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Well.... here I am 6+ months later and I still have the same problems! It seems that there are no companies, corporations, even local stores that will donate for our troops unless they can get either a tax write off or good PR from it.

I have a different opinion on the subject. I helped organize a charity event last year and I contacted several companies in the area in hopes that they would donate items to auction at the event. MANY were more than happy to provide an item - or items - for free. One of them was a very big and popular sporting goods store. Another was a recognizable jewelry store.

Be patient and hopefully something will happen for you. Good luck!