Calvert scanner feed maintainence today

dgates80

Land of the lost
The feed is up and down at the moment and honestly, I am not sure why. It seems that my internet connection (Comcast cable modem) is very very slow today though as well, this may be affecting the ability to send the feed out.

I will keep working on it, hopefully I will find out what is going on soon! Thanks for your patience though!

-- Don

A

amotley

sounds good to me, i thought i was losing my mind earlier when i couldnt get online lol just went to eat dinner then came back and tried and bam there it was rotf

dgates80

Land of the lost
The feed is fixed. How are the audio levels for ya'll?

Thank you for the feedback.

Turns out that the problem yesterday was related to the "internet storm" that occured yesterday as a result of the massive amount of internet traffic generated be Michael Jackson's kicking the bucket.

I will be performing an upgrade on the Calvert scanner feed this weekend, transitioning over to a new audio encoder application and a pro grade MP3 encoder.

Please note that the links to the feed will remain unchanged, and your method of listening to the feed will also remain unchanged. You don't have to do anything different, this change will be transparent to the end users!

I will be playing around with different audio sampling rates, with the goal to reduce the connection speed required to listen to the feed. I am currently streaming at 24kbps, I hope that the audio quality will be adequate for the scanner feed at 8kbps. Since it's just scanner radio traffic, not like it's music of something, I expect the audio quality will be just fine at the lower data rate.

I will be soliciting user reports to help me evaluate this, I will post when I get the changes up and running and see what ya'll think, in two major areas -- one being audio volume levels (always a challenge!) and subjective audio quality.

Thanks for your patience and support!

-- Don

Last edited:
A

amotley

hey feedback when you ask is not a problem lol i just dont get on that much but when i am online i like to listen to the scanner, so thanks for keeping it going on the calvert side

A

amotley

i am having problems again i can listen for 2 minutes then it goes off if i click the play button it plays what i listened to already is it operator error or a problem all round lol

dgates80

Land of the lost
Well, it is a problem on my end. Working on it. I am able to get the server to successfully stream on a test port but not the operational port (8036). The new software is up and running though!

I will post when we get it to work correctly, should be back to normal by the end of teh weekend.... otherwise I might not need haircuts any more since I'll have pulled it all out by then!

= Don

A

amotley

ok now i can listen to it for about 30 minutes and it turns off i used media player and changed to quick time still doing it so im hoping your working on it lol

now its working just fine have been listening the past hour quess it might have been wanting to take a nap earlier:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:

dgates80

Land of the lost
ok now i can listen to it for about 30 minutes and it turns off i used media player and changed to quick time still doing it so im hoping your working on it lol

now its working just fine have been listening the past hour quess it might have been wanting to take a nap earlier:popcorn:

Actually it was the problem I have been fighting for three days. I was dropping packets on my internet connection. Seemed to get worse when the weather got hot.

I just replaced my cable modem and it seems to be running much better than it was before.

Hopefully this cures the dropped connections problem!

-- Don

dgates80

Land of the lost
So far, so good. Comcast helpdesk support was actually pretty good -- 3 minute wait and the tech had a clue, swapping out the modem took 30 minutes. I find myself amazed.

Been running for 5 hours straight with no packet loss and without a dropped connection to the server. This is MUCH better than performance of late. I expect the connection reliability has gone up a whole lot compared to recent performance.

THANK YOU to everyone that uses the scanner for your patience while David and I have been working out the technical issues -- the bad connection apparently caused by an old and flaky cable modem, and the switchover to new server feed software.

I have settled on 17kbps for a data rate, is this working for ya'll? How about audio levels (Calvert feed)?

-- Don

A

amotley

sorry havent been online in a few days but i just went online and it sounds good will let you know if anything changes!