Air Conditioning Question

Teacher_Lady

I need some advice about air conditioning if anyone can help. For the last week, we have been having problems with our unit. The outside unit runs, but the lines on the inside have been icing up and the fan is not running. We thought it might have been the filter and we changed it, but the problem still persists. If we turn the unit off for a day or so, it comes back on but only works for a little while. The outside unit will still be running, but the fan stops again and the lines ice up. We have a home warranty and the company has already been out to look at the unit, but they didn't find anything wrong with it. When it was still acting up, I called back and they said it was the blower motor. Does this sound like the right diagnosis? I don't want to have to keep calling the warranty people and scheduling for time off work because the HVAC guys are stringing me along.

TIA for any help. :howdy:

TurboK9

I need some advice about air conditioning if anyone can help. For the last week, we have been having problems with our unit. The outside unit runs, but the lines on the inside have been icing up and the fan is not running. We thought it might have been the filter and we changed it, but the problem still persists. If we turn the unit off for a day or so, it comes back on but only works for a little while. The outside unit will still be running, but the fan stops again and the lines ice up. We have a home warranty and the company has already been out to look at the unit, but they didn't find anything wrong with it. When it was still acting up, I called back and they said it was the blower motor. Does this sound like the right diagnosis? I don't want to have to keep calling the warranty people and scheduling for time off work because the HVAC guys are stringing me along.

That actually does NOT sound right. As long as the compressor is moving the refridgerant through the lines, your inside fan motor should not be a factor in freezing up. Can you see the fins on the condensor? The cold radiator looking thing on the far side of the inside blower fan? If so, is that all iced up too?

Of course I cannot see it, but typically if you are getting freezing of the unit typically speaking that is indicative of lower refridgerant, or exceedingly high humidity.

It is possible your fan motor is bad, also. But, you also may have a bad thermostat if the fan motor is not running, which would be a MUCH cheaper repair. If you move the fan switch on your thermostat from auto to 'on', and the fan runs, you know it isn't the motor. If not, it does not mean the motor is bad though.

Make sure you get the thermostat and refridgerant checked before they replace a thing.

C

citizen_fear

After you thaw it out again switch the fan to the on position at the tstat and let it run and see if it ices up again; could be a bad relay/board for the fan if it is freezing up because the motor is stopping.

Teacher_Lady

It is possible your fan motor is bad, also. But, you also may have a bad thermostat if the fan motor is not running, which would be a MUCH cheaper repair. If you move the fan switch on your thermostat from auto to 'on', and the fan runs, you know it isn't the motor. If not, it does not mean the motor is bad though.

Make sure you get the thermostat and refridgerant checked before they replace a thing.

The fan has been on auto, and it does work after the unit has been shut off for a while, but then it stop and freezes up. Should I ask him about a new thermostat?

TurboK9

The fan has been on auto, and it does work after the unit has been shut off for a while, but then it stop and freezes up. Should I ask him about a new thermostat?

Does it run as long as long as it is set to 'on'? On 'on' (not auto) it should run forever and ever and ever, just the fan.

Teacher_Lady

Well, let it run for a while. If it will obviously go longer than it does on auto, tis not the motor :)

So I can keep the fan running on ON and is shouldn't hurt anything?

Sorry, I feel like a complete idiot. This is my first house that I just bought in March and I am just learning about all this repair and maintenance stuff. Im just glad we have the warranty if it ends up working out.

SoMdDude

The "fan" on the outside unit is spinning? go out there and check it yourself, just because it "sounds" like it is running/spinning, doesnt mean it is.

On older heat pump systems, there is a "reset" button on the outside unit as well... look for a orange or red button under where the lines go into the outside unit from the inside lines, hold it down for about 10 seconds, turn the system to "off" first" then try again.

And just curious, you had a repairman there, but he couldnt fix it? Sounds like you are low on freon to be honest

TurboK9

So I can keep the fan running on ON and is shouldn't hurt anything?

Sorry, I feel like a complete idiot. This is my first house that I just bought in March and I am just learning about all this repair and maintenance stuff. Im just glad we have the warranty if it ends up working out.

No problem. Only reason I know this stuff is 'cuz I managed a ghetto ass mobile home park in FL years ago, LOL. I can fix an AC unit with parts from a Ford Pinto.

You can let the blower run, but that doesn't mean you'll get cold air. It WILL circulate the air, at least. You'll only get cold air if the compressor is running too, but it sounds like your condensor is freezing up so no point in that really. You can try it, see how long it goes before your condensor freezes. At that point you can turn your AC off but leave the blower on just for circulation while the condensor thaws out.

Teacher_Lady

Ok, the fan has been on and running for about 4 hours now and no problem, so I'm thinking it is not the blower motor. Could it be the tstat or something else?

TurboK9

Ok, the fan has been on and running for about 4 hours now and no problem, so I'm thinking it is not the blower motor. Could it be the tstat or something else?

Sounds like the possibility of the thermostats, particularly if it's a digital type (fancy LCD readout) or a relay in the unit. The relays open and close and tell which components of the unit to run. They also are part of the 'defrost' cycle if the unit runs for an extended priod, which could explain the freezing in part.

Teacher_Lady

Sounds like the possibility of the thermostats, particularly if it's a digital type (fancy LCD readout) or a relay in the unit. The relays open and close and tell which components of the unit to run. They also are part of the 'defrost' cycle if the unit runs for an extended priod, which could explain the freezing in part.

Ok, I've had the fan on ON all night and have had no problems with it cutting out. The tstat that I have is definitely an older model that is not digital. I'm wondering if that or the relays are the problem.

TurboK9

Ok, I've had the fan on ON all night and have had no problems with it cutting out. The tstat that I have is definitely an older model that is not digital. I'm wondering if that or the relays are the problem.

The older thermostats are 'mechanical' so to speak, and rarely fail that way. They usually either stop telling the AC unit to start at all, or else just the fan will go on and off. Basically, there is a little bulb with a few drops of mercury in it that moves according to the temperature, and as it moves the thing tilts causing the mercury to close a circuit and tell the unit to start. If that circuit is incomplete the compressor will not start al all, if the fan switch is bad the fan wouldn't work at all, and if the wiring was bad same deal, nothing at all. So likely NOT the thernmostat. I'd get a different company out, and have them check the relays and refridgerant charge, also, look at the outside unit and inside condensor fins and see if the are all gunked up w/irt, hair or whatever. They may just need to be cleaned. If the previous home owners ran the unit for a long time w/o a good filter or without cleaning the unit, that could also be the issue.

bohman

The older thermostats are 'mechanical' so to speak, and rarely fail that way. They usually either stop telling the AC unit to start at all, or else just the fan will go on and off. Basically, there is a little bulb with a few drops of mercury in it that moves according to the temperature, and as it moves the thing tilts causing the mercury to close a circuit and tell the unit to start. If that circuit is incomplete the compressor will not start al all, if the fan switch is bad the fan wouldn't work at all, and if the wiring was bad same deal, nothing at all. So likely NOT the thernmostat. I'd get a different company out, and have them check the relays and refridgerant charge, also, look at the outside unit and inside condensor fins and see if the are all gunked up w/irt, hair or whatever. They may just need to be cleaned. If the previous home owners ran the unit for a long time w/o a good filter or without cleaning the unit, that could also be the issue.

:yeahthat: From the description, my semi-educated guess would be relays. Not sure why the initial repairman couldn't find the problem; you might want to give somebody different a chance to look at it.

Teacher_Lady

:yeahthat: From the description, my semi-educated guess would be relays. Not sure why the initial repairman couldn't find the problem; you might want to give somebody different a chance to look at it.

That's what I am thinking, but I have to use who the warranty company sends out. I need to call them to see if they use other companies other than the original they sent out. I called them on Thursday to get them to come back out and I haven't heard from them since.