HomeMade Laundry Detergent

Bibliophilic

I have been reading recently about home made detergent and how much better it is for the environment, as well as how economical it is...Has anyone here tried it? I have ordered my ingredients and am looking forward to trying it. Just thought I would see if anyone here had any tips, hints or feedback..Thanks!

Pushrod

Patriot
No. Post what the ingredients are and how to make it, sounds like something that would be good to know.

Bibliophilic

Aaahh well...the ingredients are Arm & Hammer washing soda (less than 5 bucks), 20 mule Borax Powder (less than 5 bucks) and Fels Naptha Laundry Soap (less than 2 bucks -if you buy a bar rather than pre-grated).
I looked in a couple of local stores and could not find the washing soda or the Fels Naptha so I ordered mine from
Soaps Gone Buy - Where Soaps of yesterday are found Today!
There are recipes on the website - and reviews that are all pretty positive - and a pretty good selection of other products to buy. I am looking forward to trying it. One positive tip I DO remember distinctly is that the homemade detergent makes clothes much softer so that although you still may want to use fabric softener you may not need nearly as much. And these ingredients should last me 4-6 months at least. We shall see. It almost sounded like one of those.."if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" things.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
There was an article about this in the Enterprise a week or so ago. There was a recipe for it in the story.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Actually, I grew up with homemade laundry detergent. And your recipe above sounds very familiar, but we had a couple of other ingredients as well, am sure that came through time . The key I think is 20 Mule Team...I still use that time to time as a laundry booster. I'd probably be making it still, except for space/storage concerns and the fact that we are on a septic system. Powdered anything (dish detergent, laundry, whatever) is really bad for your septic system if used on a regular basis.

Doctor

Dr. Mat
I have been reading recently about home made detergent and how much better it is for the environment, as well as how economical it is...Has anyone here tried it? I have ordered my ingredients and am looking forward to trying it. Just thought I would see if anyone here had any tips, hints or feedback..Thanks!

Its all fun and games till you break out with a rash

Bibliophilic

Its all fun and games till you break out with a rash

I read that it was especially good for people with sensitive skin or allergies. That is one reason I am trying it. I did not know about it being bad for septic systems though. Hhhmm, thinking now I should try one of the recipes for the liquid versions. I thought about it when i was researching, but did not like the sound of 'gel like substance' and having to shake it alot to re-mix well before using. I have bad hands.

tiltedangel

Aaahh well...the ingredients are Arm & Hammer washing soda (less than 5 bucks), 20 mule Borax Powder (less than 5 bucks) and Fels Naptha Laundry Soap (less than 2 bucks -if you buy a bar rather than pre-grated).
I looked in a couple of local stores and could not find the washing soda or the Fels Naptha so I ordered mine from
Soaps Gone Buy - Where Soaps of yesterday are found Today!
There are recipes on the website - and reviews that are all pretty positive - and a pretty good selection of other products to buy. I am looking forward to trying it. One positive tip I DO remember distinctly is that the homemade detergent makes clothes much softer so that although you still may want to use fabric softener you may not need nearly as much. And these ingredients should last me 4-6 months at least. We shall see. It almost sounded like one of those.."if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" things.

just a note phells naptha soap is great for your skin and will take poison ivy away too...years ago when i was a teenager the dermatologist recommended phells naptha soap in the shower because it has astringents in it and kills germs...they sell it at mckays( it is a longer bar with a white wrapper with red lettering) very cheap:howdy:

Tina2001aniT

just a note phells naptha soap is great for your skin and will take poison ivy away too...years ago when i was a teenager the dermatologist recommended phells naptha soap in the shower because it has astringents in it and kills germs...they sell it at mckays( it is a longer bar with a white wrapper with red lettering) very cheap:howdy:

This soap is also fantastic on stains. I have never found anything that worked better. I have also not found anything that this soap wouldn't take out, even old washed and dried in stains.

rwethereyet

Yeah, okay.
This soap is also fantastic on stains. I have never found anything that worked better. I have also not found anything that this soap wouldn't take out, even old washed and dried in stains.

Is it with the bath bar soaps or the laundry detergents in the stores?

jen8753

I have garlic breath.
I also have been reading about this lately and I'm very interested in trying it. My only concern is that I think I may have hard water, which they say is not a good thing to have when you use soap vs. detergent in your washer. I guess its worth a shot though with the ingrdients being so inexpensive and all. Let us know how it works for you.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
MK and I make our own. Mig, we have a septic and cook ours to make liquid. I'd think it'd be better for the septic since it's free of harsh detergents, coloring, etc that wouldn't break down as easily.

You can use whatever type of bar soap you want. Last round we used organic olive oil unscented soap and added essential oils for fragrance.

The Borax and A&H washing soda are both available at the Giant in Lusby.

MissKitty

Pixie and I make our own. Giant in Lusby carries the washing soda and borax. We usually use an unscented soap instead of the felz naptha. We've also added Essential Oil to some of it to try different scents. We've made it a few times with scented soaps as well.

MissKitty

MK and I make our own. Mig, we have a septic and cook ours to make liquid. I'd think it'd be better for the septic since it's free of harsh detergents, coloring, etc that wouldn't break down as easily.

You can use whatever type of bar soap you want. Last round we used organic olive oil unscented soap and added essential oils for fragrance.

The Borax and A&H washing soda are both available at the Giant in Lusby.

My internet is slow. :bawl: