Horse

lips_sealed

i love a man's forearms
Question: Is it legal or humane to keep a horse in a trailer overnight? People that live on my street, have had a horse in a trailer since about 6 last night.

lips_sealed

i love a man's forearms
well its been there since yesterday evening. they just came out and took the horse out. now it is tied up in their yard

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
Well it depends. There might have been unique circumstances with it being the 4th. Maybe where the horse is has lots of fireworks and the horse is afraid of them. As long as the horse has hay, water, and air ventaliation in the trailer I don't see a huge issue with it. The big one is the water and air ventaliation. My trailer is very airy and with all the doors open the air moves really good. If it was parked at my horse I would have a extension cord going to the trailer with a couple of fans. Without knowing all the details I realy can't say.

Personally I wouldn't do it unless I had to.

lips_sealed

i love a man's forearms
it has been in the trailer, that is hooked to a pick up. nothing running to it. they came out this morning around 1015 and took it out. it is tied to their fence, and its eating grass. someone in my neighborhood must have called animal control. they were here a bit ago. it just seems odd to see a horse in a development like this.

thanks for the responses.

ooktdoo

Personally I would be even more concerned about the fact that they tied it to the fence. Keep us updated if you know anything. Everything you said is very odd.

it has been in the trailer, that is hooked to a pick up. nothing running to it. they came out this morning around 1015 and took it out. it is tied to their fence, and its eating grass. someone in my neighborhood must have called animal control. they were here a bit ago. it just seems odd to see a horse in a development like this.

thanks for the responses.

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
What neighborhood is it in? What did animal control say? Are they still there? Do you see any food or water besides grass

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
This would be the same thing as keeping it stalled as long as water and hay are available. Horses are shipped in trailers and as cargo all over the world in much smaller spaces than an open stock trailer. Horses are tied safely to fences every day.

If this is the horse I know about (and I'm fairly sure it is), during the timeframe you quote, it was with it's owner being prepared for a trail ride, and not parked in front of her house.

It was the only one in the stock trailer, and had arrived at the owner's home at approximately 1:00am on sunday morning, then was taken out of the trailer around 9:00am on sunday morning to graze and be groomed in her back yard. The animal control investigation proved the accusation to be "unfounded".

I'd be very careful of filing false reports....you never know who can testify as to what the facts really are. And NO this isn't my horse, but I am aware of the situation, it was one of my horse trailers, loaned for the weekend.

Last edited:

fredsaid2

get'em happy appy :)

I don't see anything wrong with a person having the authorities out to investigate an unusual situation. The OP did indicate they were not the ones who made the call anyway. If the authorities find the situation is ligit, what's the harm?

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
On July 5th lips sealed wrote:

Question: Is it legal or humane to keep a horse in a trailer overnight? People that live on my street, have had a horse in a trailer since about 6 last night.

The harm is 'lips sealed' deliberately misstating the FACTS.
I know for a fact that horse wasn't in a trailer from 6:00 PM on July 4th until 10 am on July 5th, because it was at the same trail ride BBQ that I attended on that day. He had been picked up from his field at 1:00pm on July 4th and had arrived at the BBQ location at 1:30pm on July 4th. I followed the trailer half way home at midnight on July 5th, having loaded the horse up from grazing in a large grassy field with his buddies AT that BBQ location until his departure.

I also know that is the exact timeframe for the horse being in the trailer that was given to the authorities and don't believe in coincidence.

Last edited:

fredsaid2

I also know that is the exact timeframe for the horse being in the trailer that was given to the authorities and don't believe in coincidence.

Coincidence is not a fact. OP said they didn't call. On another tact, perhaps 'your' horse was not the one the OP posted about. Just a possibility. Either way, if the person w/ the horse was found not to have broken a law or reg, what's wrong with someone stepping up to question the unusual situation?

cheyenne

I didn't see anywhere where Lips Sealed "filed" a false report. Seems to me she came to the forums asking to be educated about whether or not there was a problem and if she should do anything about it. I for one appreciate the fact she showed concern about an animal and was trying to do the right thing, if anything in fact even needed to be done.

I think accusing her of "deliberately" misstating the facts is a tag strong? JMO

CountryLady

luvmyponies
What are the odds that there were two horses in a two different horse trailers on the 5th of July that animal control was called out for?

WOW!

If it was her neighbor, she might have at least started out by talking to the neighbor first, given she had ample opportunity.

I kinda suspect that it is the same horse as well.:whistle: JMO

Last edited:

CountryLady

luvmyponies
I don't see anything wrong with a person having the authorities out to investigate an unusual situation. The OP did indicate they were not the ones who made the call anyway. If the authorities find the situation is ligit, what's the harm?

Lets say for a minute that the hose in question was one and the same.

Doesn't it bother people here that the truth was misrepresented (to the extreme), not by and hour or so, but by half a day. I wonder where lips got her data?

But who knows, maybe there REALLY are 2 horses in the same prediciment on the same day getting the authorities called. Go figure! :killingme

Phyxius

Zoooooooom

:yeahthat:

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Lets say for a minute that the hose in question was one and the same.

Doesn't it bother people here that the truth was misrepresented (to the extreme), not by and hour or so, but by half a day. I wonder where lips got her data?

But who knows, maybe there REALLY are 2 horses in the same prediciment on the same day getting the authorities called. Go figure! :killingme

Huh...

It's kind of odd how frequently something "questionable" about horses seem to feature you & happyappy and/or people you guys know.

And, how defensive you guys get. That kind of attitude is what generally turns people off. But, whatever...

mingiz

Horse Poor

Exactly better safe than sorry. :popcorn:

mingiz

Horse Poor
Huh...

It's kind of odd how frequently something "questionable" about horses seem to feature you & happyappy and/or people you guys know.

And, how defensive you guys get. That kind of attitude is what generally turns people off. But, whatever...

:yeahthat: