Ruddy Duck review

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Went today for lunch with a friend. We shared the shrimp and grits and the cheese puffs for appetizer, she had the short ribs chimichurri and I had the Memphis ribs. We also shared a taster of each of their beers.

The shrimp and grits were outstanding - tasty, and the grits had a nice rustic texture. You get a large mound of grits with 4 large shrimp, and it could easily be a light meal.

The cheese puffs were my favorite - I want Carlos to give me the recipe for them because they were fabulous!! It's like a little bun with creamy cheese filling - Gruyere? Not sure, but the bartender told us that it's not really a filling; they make the little dough balls and it bakes into a filled bun. Uh, yum! You get three of them, and you'll wish you had more.

The short ribs were wonderfully tender, so finally somebody knows how to cook them properly. The chimichurri is more of a marinade than a sauce - tart, garlicky, aromatic. It came with some pretty good mashed potatoes and seasoned sauteed veggies.

The Memphis ribs were very good as well. They're dry (as Memphis ribs should be) so don't be looking for BBQ sauce. And frankly, the meat doesn't need it. It's always a good sign when a chef will send his ribs out naked and they can stand on their own without sauce. Very tender and just a hint of smoke - not overpowering. I got them with french fries and a surprisingly good cole slaw. I wasn't sure what a "pineapple" slaw would be like, but it was quite tasty: tart but not mayonnaise-y, with a pinch of sweet fruity flavor, and good crisp veggies.

The portions aren't huge, for which I am grateful because I wanted to try a lot of different stuff and wasn't looking forward to some gargantuan entree. I blew off most of my fries because although they were good, I didn't want to waste tummy room on them.

The beers:

The IPA and pale ale were a little hoppy for my taste, but that's to be expected because they're a hoppy beer anyway. The golden ale was delicious, as was the dobble. I'm not a huge porter fan but the bartender insisted we try it - it wasn't heavy at all and had a nice robust flavor, much better than most porters I've tried.

It wasn't crowded but there were quite a few tables, and I didn't think the noise level was bad at all. Carlos says he's having baffles installed to absorb some of the sound - he saw on here that some of you were complaining about it. And Jay, our bartender/waiter, was awesome with a terrific personality!

So I'd definitely put Ruddy Duck in my restaurant rotation. There's a bunch of stuff I want to try, but it's going to be hard to get me off those cheese puffs. :yum:

Bonehead

Vrai

Good to know he is willing to listen about the noise level. Food is pretty good. Good review on your part. Can't wait until they really get the brew part down. For my tastes in beer the more hops, flavor etc. the better. Budweiser be damned ! Sorry had to ! Anyway I wish them the best of luck..

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Good to know he is willing to listen about the noise level.

It wasn't crowded in there, but there were a good number of tables, and I didn't think the noise level was bad. Seemed normal to me. But with those high ceilings, I can see where it would be an acoustical nightmare when they're packed.

Anyway, there's a fix in the works to correct that.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
It wasn't crowded in there, but there were a good number of tables, and I didn't think the noise level was bad. Seemed normal to me. But with those high ceilings, I can see where it would be an acoustical nightmare when they're packed.

Anyway, there's a fix in the works to correct that.

Jake and Al's is like that, right? That 'warehouse' echo sound?

carlosruddyduck

Good to know he is willing to listen about the noise level. Food is pretty good. Good review on your part. Can't wait until they really get the brew part down. For my tastes in beer the more hops, flavor etc. the better. Budweiser be damned ! Sorry had to ! Anyway I wish them the best of luck..

Here Carlos again!!!

Thanks for your comments and reviews. It’s good to know that we agree with the good things and the not so good ones.

First I would like to let you know that now, today, we have SIX of our beers on tap: New Golden Ale, New Belgium Wit (wheat), Pale Ale, Belgium Dubbel, IPA and Porter. What can I say about our own beers... It really surpassed my expectations. Please try the new wheat. If you don't like it it's not you beer style but if you do it's sooooo goood!!!!
The Chipas are now our best appetizer after the chicken wings, and we dropped the price!!!
Thanks to Marlin and his crew that have perfected the art of making the best cheese balls in the northern hemisphere, I'm not kidding.

About the sound issue, yes it's a problem...

"But every problem has a solution", says Michael Kelley my partner and very knowledgeable restaurateur.
We have contacted and signed a contract with: Acoustical Solutions Soundproofing & Noise Control Products

They are guaranteeing the install and sound improvements.
They will start working in three to four weeks from now. They will be installing 1,400 sf. of hanging baffles and sound absorbing panels.

If this doesn't do it then we will double it!!! until we are all pleased with it.

See you very soon!!!!

All Ruddy!!!!

Carlos

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
I went to Ruddy for the first time this weekend.
The Beer and Service was great. The food was good.
I am a little dissapointed by the menu though. Just the usual stuff.

Jameo

What?!
Went last night for the first time. Nice place, yummy food, excellent service! :yay: :yay: Can't wait to go back ! :cheers:

bulldog

Went last night, had a really good time and were impressed. The service was very good; Stephen was attentive, funny, bright, knew what he was doing and took good care of us. The menu selection was above average and beer selection super. Carlos came over and visited with us and explained all different beers and after my sampler of 6 I finally settled on the Dubbel which was very good.
We had the cheese puffs for an appetizer and they had a really good flavor, but a little dry for my taste. I would have liked some sort of dip with them, but hey...it's a dish from Carlos' home and that is how they eat it so we went with the flow. I had the fish and chips with the fish being excellent, but the fries were a bit old/stale...probably becasue we were there early and got the end of an old batch instead of some of a fresh batch. They would have gladly brought us more if we had asked so this was not an issue at all. My wife had a burger and said that it was good as well.
As I said, we got there early (5:15ish) and by 6 there was a steady flow of folks coming in. It was great to see Carlos out and about, taking the time to meet his customers.
We'll be back. :yay:

carlosruddyduck

I went to Ruddy for the first time this weekend.
The Beer and Service was great. The food was good.
I am a little dissapointed by the menu though. Just the usual stuff.

Hi Michael!!!

Argentine chorizos with chimichurri sauce.
Braised short ribs.
Fresh made foccacias.
Duck pizzas and quesadillas
shrimp and grits
Chipas (Paraguayan cheese balls)
Make your pasta with shrimp, duck, crab meat and different sauces.
Real smoked BBQ ribs
Humus
Ciopino
Real gourmet brick oven pizzas like spinach with goat cheese;
prosciutto with pineapple and cheddar.
All our sauces and dressings are home made daily
Home made deserts
Salads with baby greens
Slaw with pineapple
And lots more to come

Are you sure you came to the "Duck"?

Carlos, I was one of the folks in your back room on Tuesday and I was SUPER impressed with the Duck! I know everyone I was with that night really seemed to enjoy the various appetizers as well as the entrees!

And as for your beer... I keep thinking about your Belgium Tripel thingie... :yum:

Carlos, I was one of the folks in your back room on Tuesday and I was SUPER impressed with the Duck! I know everyone I was with that night really seemed to enjoy the various appetizers as well as the entrees!

And as for your beer... I keep thinking about your Belgium Tripel thingie... :yum:

Tripel Karmeliet ... my new favorite! :yay: