The Lost Symbol

Beta84

They're out to get us
Yeah I've been waiting for awhile. It's continuing the line of Angels and Demons / Da Vinci Code. Hope it's as good as those two!

Bay_Kat

Tropical
*Bump*

This book came out today, has anyone started reading it yet. Guess I'm going on a book search today, no books stores close to me.

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
Dan Brown's Book Sells A Million Copies.....

"NEW YORK — Dan Brown does it again, on paper and on the screen.

Doubleday announced Wednesday that "The Lost Symbol," Brown's first novel since "The Da Vinci Code," has already sold more than 1 million copies after being on sale for one day in the United States, Canada and Britain. That total includes preorders for the book, which has been at or near the top of Amazon.com for months.

An additional 500,000 copies has been ordered, bringing the total print run to 5.6 million copies. "The Lost Symbol" came out Tuesday.

Brown's book was well short of the all-time debut, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," which in its first day sold more than 8 million copies in the U.S. alone."

Read more at: Dan Brown's 'The Lost Symbol' Sells A Million Copies

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
Dan Brown's 20 worst sentences

"If Dan Brown’s new novel The Lost Symbol is anything like his previous works, it will not go down well with the critics."

" Edinburgh professor of linguistics Geoffrey Pullum says “Brown's writing is not just bad; it is staggeringly, clumsily, thoughtlessly, almost ingeniously bad.” He picks out some excerpts for special criticism. The female lead in Angels and Demons learns of the death of her scientist father: “Genius, she thought. My father . . . Dad. Dead.” A member of the Vatican Guard in the same book becomes annoyed by something, and we learn that "his eyes went white, like a shark about to attack."

Below we have selected 20 phrases that may grate on the ear. It’s not a definitive list. It couldn’t be: he has published five novels, each around 500 pages long, and the arguments over which are the worst bits will go on for a while"

More at source: The Lost Symbol and The Da Vinci Code author Dan Brown's 20 worst sentences - Telegraph

Beta84

They're out to get us
*Bump*

This book came out today, has anyone started reading it yet. Guess I'm going on a book search today, no books stores close to me.

I preordered it and got it the day it came out. Read most of it while I was on travel and just finished it the other day. I enjoyed it for the most part...very similar to his two previous works from the series, obviously. There were a bunch of parts that pissed me off or annoyed me, but overall I was fine with it.

Does anyone religious read these books? I can't imagine the religious zealots of the world could be too happy with the kind of claims that are being made in these books :lol:

Hoover

I preordered it and got it the day it came out. Read most of it while I was on travel and just finished it the other day. I enjoyed it for the most part...very similar to his two previous works from the series, obviously. There were a bunch of parts that pissed me off or annoyed me, but overall I was fine with it.

Does anyone religious read these books? I can't imagine the religious zealots of the world could be too happy with the kind of claims that are being made in these books :lol:

I thought the Lost Symbol was about the Masonic Temple?

Radiant1

Soul Probe

I'm hardly a religious zealot, but I take my Christian faith somewhat seriously although I have a different understanding of it than the typical Christian "religious" person. I'd like to think I'm reasonable and open minded. I have also have studied other religions, philosophies, and mythologies btw.

I particularly enjoy ritual, symbolism, underlying meanings, and double entendres, which is perhaps why I like Dan Brown's books. His writing style leaves a bit to be desired, but he's highly imaginative.

I haven't read The Lost Symbol yet. I won't buy it hardback, and it will come out in paperback before I ever get it from the reserve list at the library. What parts pissed you off and why?

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I'm reading it now and I've been reading it for about a week, finding this one somewhat difficult to get through. A little slow and I'm not even halfway through it and I think he's mentioned the Redskins about a million times. Every time I start to read it, which is only at night in bed (that's the only time I have to read) I start to doze off, for some reason this one is just not keeping my interest. I'm really disappointed, I've read all his books and this one just isn't doing it for me, hopefully it picks up.

Beta84

They're out to get us
I'm hardly a religious zealot, but I take my Christian faith somewhat seriously although I have a different understanding of it than the typical Christian "religious" person. I'd like to think I'm reasonable and open minded. I have also have studied other religions, philosophies, and mythologies btw.

I particularly enjoy ritual, symbolism, underlying meanings, and double entendres, which is perhaps why I like Dan Brown's books. His writing style leaves a bit to be desired, but he's highly imaginative.

I haven't read The Lost Symbol yet. I won't buy it hardback, and it will come out in paperback before I ever get it from the reserve list at the library. What parts pissed you off and why?
You're open-minded. I see other people on this forum that would read some of the stuff mentioned in the book and completely FREAK out and be like "HECK NO THATS BS!" and whatnot. This book includes a bunch of the stuff you seem to be interested in, so I'm sure you'll enjoy that much.

Most of the stuff that "pissed me off" is just that they would have some sort of revelation, or someone would get a piece of key information, and then the bastards wouldn't tell you what the information is for a LOOONG time and you'd be stuck wondering what they know, especially considering there was no way to figure it out for yourself :tantrum

I'm reading it now and I've been reading it for about a week, finding this one somewhat difficult to get through. A little slow and I'm not even halfway through it and I think he's mentioned the Redskins about a million times. Every time I start to read it, which is only at night in bed (that's the only time I have to read) I start to doze off, for some reason this one is just not keeping my interest. I'm really disappointed, I've read all his books and this one just isn't doing it for me, hopefully it picks up.

he mentioned the Redskins PLAYOFF game. I was :killingme:killingme:killingme

It started really slow, I enjoyed it a little more as the book wore on. But alot of it was just crazy! Hopefully for some of those parts it'll keep you glued a little more.

Katelin

one day the dark will end
I finished it last night and loved it!:yahoo:

Granted, there are some slow spots and a few very deep spots in the book, but overall, a great book!
Dan is Dan....and this book will translate well into a movie.
Some parts made me pause and think, and think some more about the Masons ( my dad was one) and the formation of our country and the ideals that our founding fathers had.
But remember..it is a book, a novel...and Dan is a writer who pays his bills based on his book sales.

I will re-read this in a few months and fill in the blind areas I missed the first time.

Nice book Dan!!! Thanks!!:buddies:

Beta84

They're out to get us

Granted, there are some slow spots and a few very deep spots in the book, but overall, a great book!
Some parts made me pause and think, and think some more about the Masons ( my dad was one) and the formation of our country and the ideals that our founding fathers had.
But remember..it is a book, a novel...and Dan is a writer who pays his bills based on his book sales.

I will re-read this in a few months and fill in the blind areas I missed the first time.

I tried to keep mental notes of the "blind areas" so I could look back at them once I filled in the gaps. I may need to re-read it, but for the most part I seemed to do a good job of banging my head and realizing exactly what had happened. I am looking forward to that movie as well!

itsbob

I bowl overhand

I'm reading it now..

I don't get the "greatness".. and the plot seems awful familiar.

He's called in to solve a puzzle.. He's being chased, people are dying everywhere he goes..

There's Masons, Governements, Symboolgy, and you can't tell the good guys from the bad guys..

Good story, but awful familiar.. almost like he changed the names and locations and told the same story again.

Beta84

They're out to get us
I'm reading it now..

He's called in to solve a puzzle.. He's being chased, people are dying everywhere he goes..

There's Masons, Governements, Symboolgy, and you can't tell the good guys from the bad guys..

Good story, but awful familiar.. almost like he changed the names and locations and told the same story again.

pretty much. :lol:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I'm reading it now..

That's the feeling I'm getting too.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I'm reading it now..

I agree. When I read Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code I wanted to learn more about the subject matter, but this book was boring in comparison. He's become predictable, and aside from a twist toward the end that I didn't see coming, it was a bit anticlimactic. I was hoping for more.