Oh Give Me a Frikkin' Break!

Study: Digging in sand can increase health problems -- Newsday.com

Digging in beach sand might be hazardous to your health.

A study by the Environmental Protection Agency and University at North Carolina at Chapel Hill found those who dig in the sand have an increased chance of gastrointestinal problems, such as diarrhea, due to fecal matter in the sand. Children are especially vulnerable because they tend to put sand, and their hands, in their mouths.

The reason people might get get ill is because no natural immunities are being built up because of this obsession to be squeaky clean!

Rosehaven

No F*&ing break this time

That's an important study. It's parameters are such that if the conclusions are followed, without variance, then the population as a whole will be healthier which, in turn, will result in a lower cost/person for ER visits. It's unfortunate you didn't take time to read the entire study, and the 23 subsequent ones now underway or about to be presented to see the big picture. I am happy to tell you there are more studies being designed right now to build on the conclusions this one contains.

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
Oh for the.......What sand are they digging in? My cats litter box? The cats dig in it everyday and never get sick.

Oi Vey!
:shortbus:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Wirelessly posted (Change we can believe in!: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.7) 320x240; VZW; Motorola-Q9c; Windows Mobile 6.0 Standard)

Rosehaven said:
That's an important study. It's parameters are such that if the conclusions are followed, without variance, then the population as a whole will be healthier which, in turn, will result in a lower cost/person for ER visits. It's unfortunate you didn't take time to read the entire study, and the 23 subsequent ones now underway or about to be presented to see the big picture. I am happy to tell you there are more studies being designed right now to build on the conclusions this one contains.

Sell your koolaid somewhere else. You lefties won't be happy until everyone lives in a bubble, and then you'll blame Boosh for the high rate of mental illness.

Hoover

We cant drink milk, we cant drink bottled water, we cant eat the food at the grocery stores, we cant we cant we cant:cds:

And it's all a waste of my money. We don't need more studies like this. We need people with more common sense.

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
And it's all a waste of my money. We don't need more studies like this. We need people with more common sense.

What do you mean your money? It's Barry's money. He borrowed it from the Chinese.You get to pay it back though.

morningbell

hmmmmmm
Yup. :ohwell: just read an article on that... something about millions of people dying after being born... So sad.

What is this world coming to?

I'm still not sure how I survived my childhood, running barefoot in the woods, creeks and digging huge holes in the sand at the Jersey Shore :jameo:

Cowgirl

It's parameters are such that if the conclusions are followed, without variance, then the population as a whole will be healthier which, in turn, will result in a lower cost/person for ER visits.

No, they'll be more unhappy because they couldn't play in the sand, which will cause more people to be depressed, which will cause more people to be on anti-depressants, which will cause doctor offices to be jammed with people, which will cause more people to use the ER, which will result in a higher cost/person for ER visits. :jameo:

workaholic

Save the Tatas!!!

My eyes glazed over reading this. :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

It's all :bs:

Look at us and when we were kids. With all the lead paint that I was surrounded by, mercury filled thermometers shoved you know where, drinking the water from the tap, eating wild blackberrys, swimming the the bay and all the other stuff I should have been dead a long time ago.

I also rode in a car with no seatbelts in the back seat when I was a toddler. The gov't is out of control and no one can stop it. It's a shame that our kids don't get to live and have the fun we had growing up.

Last edited:

ImnoMensa

Not my kids man: I spray our sand with Lysol. Lysol will kill anything.

I am surprised this study didnt mention sparying the sand with Lysol and scrubbing the kids with Wescodyne when they come in.Wescodyne also gives them that tan look they couldnt get otherwise for the layers of sun screen.