Question for the horse people?

I am not really a horse person but my fiance loves them. Is there anywhere in southern maryland or PG county that you can go and rent a horse for a trail ride. I would appreciate any info that you guys might have to offer. I'll do all of the leg work if you get me started with web sites and/or phone numbers to check with. Thank you in advance for your help!! :howdy:

Mojo

I am not really a horse person but my fiance loves them. Is there anywhere in southern maryland or PG county that you can go and rent a horse for a trail ride. I would appreciate any info that you guys might have to offer. I'll do all of the leg work if you get me started with web sites and/or phone numbers to check with. Thank you in advance for your help!! :howdy:

Your fiance is a horse person :yikes:, run while there's still time!

Your fiance is a horse person :yikes:, run while there's still time!

Don't get me wrong horses are beautiful animals but the size is what scares me.

I at least have great confidence that we will never own one because of the expense we won't even get a dog for that reason. If i can get him on a trail ride the horse thing will be out of his system for a long while and I won't have to worry about it again at least for 10 to 15 years.

SquirrelBait

Look at her SMILE

I at least have great confidence that we will never own one because of the expense we won't even get a dog for that reason. If i can get him on a trail ride the horse thing will be out of his system for a long while and I won't have to worry about it again at least for 10 to 15 years.

Are you sure he wants to be on top while the riding is being done?

Mojo

:eyebrow:

ponyupmom

I believe Melvin Foster/Infinity farm has horses for lease, at least thats what the ad says. Don't know if they just let you use for the day or not.

Martinigirl

riding...

Piscataway stables offers hour leases. They are located in Clinton Md.
PM me, we may be able to arrange something at the farm.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
If i can get him on a trail ride the horse thing will be out of his system for a long while and I won't have to worry about it again at least for 10 to 15 years.
:gossip: that's wishful thinking :lol:
Once a horse person, always a horse person. They're not all big and intimidating....

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I know it is but worth a try!! The last time i was on a horse it wasn't even a horse it 3was a pony and i was probably 10 or 12 years old.
It could have the OPPOSITE effect...consider yourself warned. Forewarned is forearmed.
Horses wiggle into your soul, and become kind of like an itch you can't scratch until you finally get one. It's funny, those of us who love them, even love how they smell. Peeps who don't like them can't stand it - evidenced by the folks who ride in mine or Hubs' truck, and they wrinkle their nose up and I can't figure out why until they tell me it smells like HORSE :lol:. My sister's hubby hates horses, but loves the whole barn, tractor, big boy toy thing so he does all that stuff and she does the actual horse stuff. Works for them.

Last edited:
It could have the OPPOSITE effect...:lol: Consider yourself warned. Forewarned is forearmed.
Horses wiggle into your soul, and become kind of like an itch you can't scratch until you finally get one. It's funny, those of us who love them, even love how they smell. Peeps who don't like them can't stand it - evidenced by the folks who ride in my truck, when they wrinkle their nose up and I can't figure out why until they tell me it smells like HORSE :lol:. My sister's hubby hates horses, but loves the whole barn, tractor, big boy toy thing so he does all that stuff and she does the actual horse stuff. Works for them.

what he really want to do is get on a horse and go but all i can seem to find is guided trail rides. it makes it hard if you don't have a horse of your own.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Plenty of peeps want someone to help them ride their horses (we only have one but, so we can only ride one at a time), but generally the "helper" person should have riding experience or ability when they do that. Is he insured? :whistle: (I'm kidding...)
A guided trail ride prolly isn't a bad idea if he's not been on a horse in a long time. At least those horses are (realitively speaking) safe for novice peeps.
He might be able to lease one for a while? Then he'd be responsible for it's care and excercise, but not really own it. Then he (and you) can figure out what he really wants to do.

Last edited:
Plenty of peeps want someone to help them ride their horses (we only have one but, so we can only ride one at a time), but generally the "helper" person should have riding experience or ability when they do that. Is he insured? :whistle: (I'm kidding...)
a guided trail ride prolly isn't a bad idea if he's not been on a horse in a long time.

that is what I was thinking I found one near Luray caverns and we could turn it into a mini vacation!!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
that is what I was thinking I found one near Luray caverns and we could turn it into a mini vacation!!
FUN FUN FUN! That's a beautiful place, and you could make it a special annual event.
i say go for it!

If he really likes it and wants to do it more, you could consider getting him riding lessons for Xmas. I don't know where you live but Horsenet HorseNet Horse Rescue will also let you sponsor one of theirs on site, you can visit it, groom it, ride it if it's ridable, and donate a monthly fee to the rescue. I highly recommend them too. They're wonderful.

Last edited:
FUN FUN FUN! That's a beautiful place, and you could make it a special annual event.
i say go for it!

If he really likes it and wants to do it more, you could consider getting him riding lessons for Xmas. I don't know where you live but Horsenet HorseNet Horse Rescue will also let you sponsor one of theirs on site, you can visit it, groom it, ride it if it's ridable, and donate a monthly fee to the rescue. I highly recommend them too. They're wonderful.

I am in the LaPlata area. thank you for that link I will check it out when I get home! The mini vacation is going to be for his birthday we will see how that goes.