2 baby snakes in my road...what are (were) they?

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
First one, ran over by a truck, the dark red one was found dead in the driveway...what kind of snakie poos are they?

Attachments

• IMG_6092.jpg
    IMG_6092.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_6093.jpg
    IMG_6093.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_6095.jpg
    IMG_6095.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 470

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
I don't know a lot about snakes, but I had two corn snakes and that's what they looked like.

Are corn snakes poisonous?

My fear here is that these two have some siblings nearby...and I have a young son that likes to run and play in the yard...so I want to know if I need to watch out becuase these two dead (non leathal) snakies have poisonous siblings that I have to look out for.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Sure is. Look it up and
<!-- if no answer, let the user know how to contribute --><!-- display answer --><!-- google_ad_section_start -->Worm snakes are not venomous

Wow...you guys are good! I googled it...and those are definately the snake! Thank you thank you! A couple years back we killed two in the garden thinking they were baby copperhead. I think we will let these little guys be from now on...and I can let my little man play in peace! Thanks everyone! :huggy:

And I didn't realize these guys were almost full grown...they are so small!

Bay_Kat

Tropical

My fear here is that these two have some siblings nearby...and I have a young son that likes to run and play in the yard...so I want to know if I need to watch out becuase these two dead (non leathal) snakies have poisonous siblings that I have to look out for.

No corn snakes are not poisonous. I had a brown one and the other was pink with orange stripes, they are really pretty, but my son wanted them so I let him take them especially after I got up one morning and one had escaped and I found it curled up in my daughters book bag just before she left for school.

I've seen a worm snake before, I thought it was the coolest snake ever. Looked to me like a worm with the head of a snake. Very tiny.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Looks like, but what were they doing out and about? I've only seen them when digging in the garden.

One was found dead in the driveway last night, and one was alive in the driveway this am until the truck ran it half way over...

bobbyb

Round eyed snakes are not poisonous. Slant eyed snakes are poisonous. Those little guys have round eyes.

NatureCenter

The reddish one is an Eastern worm snake. Scientific name: Carphophis amoenus

The other appears to be a Smooth earth snake. Scientific name: Virginia valeriae.

They are totally harmless. Both are tiny snakes - under 10 inches in length. Their primary diet is small earthworms and other small, soft-bodied insects.

NatureCenter

Round eyed snakes are not poisonous. Slant eyed snakes are poisonous. Those little guys have round eyes.

That is actually a myth. You cannot judge if a snake is dangerous or not by the shape of its eyes.

There are many species of harmless snakes that have elliptical eyes (cat-eye slits) and there are many species of venomous snakes that have round eyes.

The only way to know venomous from harmless snakes is to learn to know what snakes are native to your area and be able to identify by sight.

NatureCenter

Actually, snakes are venomous, not poisonous. One way to look at the difference is that "venom" is injected into the bloodstream in order to be effective, while poison must be absorbed through the skin, inhaled, or ingested (eaten) to have an effect.

The ONLY type of venomous snake you have to worry about in So. Maryland is the copperhead (both Northern and Southern species are in Maryland, but the Northern species is most common). All other snakes in So. Maryland are completely harmless.

Loper

Animal Poor!
Actually, snakes are venomous, not poisonous. One way to look at the difference is that "venom" is injected into the bloodstream in order to be effective, while poison must be absorbed through the skin, inhaled, or ingested (eaten) to have an effect.

The ONLY type of venomous snake you have to worry about in So. Maryland is the copperhead (both Northern and Southern species are in Maryland, but the Northern species is most common). All other snakes in So. Maryland are completely harmless.

Without getting all technical, snake bites, as any other animal bite may not be completely harmless. Even if the bite is from a non-venomous snake species, the bite can still carry bacteria and transfer it with the bite. Any snake bite should be dealt with by a doctor or vet (if a pet has been bitten) even if you know the snake is not venomous.