House Hunting in Calvert

JasKau

I posted a few weeks back and based on the information provided I am looking in Calvert County for a home. I keep hearing Lusby is a far ride, how long is it? I basically work 12 to 11 in DC so rush hour should not be an issue. I have 3 small kids 6 and under-any suggestions? I like community and "things to do" Any information would help

MrX

High Octane
I posted a few weeks back and based on the information provided I am looking in Calvert County for a home. I keep hearing Lusby is a far ride, how long is it? I basically work 12 to 11 in DC so rush hour should not be an issue. I have 3 small kids 6 and under-any suggestions? I like community and "things to do" Any information would help

I guess it depends on what you consider far. I commute to DC during the work week and dont really mind the ride. Going from Lusby to SE DC takes me any where from an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes. Of course this is around 0530 so the traffic is heavier than at noon. The ride home usually takes bout the same amount of time, of course this depends on the flow of traffic and the presence of police on the side of the road and/or accidents.

Lusby is not such a bad place to live, IMO. Not too much traffic once you get south of Prince Frederick, a few parks close by, Solomons, restaurants, shopping in St Mary's and Prince Frederick are pretty close, and of course lots of water. The housing is pretty affordable, even if you make under $100k annually, unlike other parts of the county.

jsouthan

Having lived in both Lusby and now in northern Calvert, I can tell you that they are two very different communities, for a variety of reasons. They both have their pluses and minuses. It really depends on what you are looking for. To answer your specific question, my husband commuted from Lusby to DC for some time before we moved up north and he said it was tough because even when he got through the Prince Frederick traffic, he knew he still had 20 minutes to go. He was usually pretty tired in the evenings.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me and I would be happy to answer them based on my experiences in both places.

Good luck house hunting!

mqwdiver

Norhtern Calvert Commute

I commuted to D.C. (K st) and took SUitland Parkway. THe commute to D.C. is much shorter from Calvert. I live in DUnkirk, which is in the very northern part of the county.

My house is on the market in the Mt. Harmony school district. Let me know if you want me to send a pic!