Know any Morgan stallions in Maryland?

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
We have a morgan mare we're thinking about breeding(shes registered). We've had her since december last year, and I've only rode her a few times (she needs work, but previouse owners said she had $18,000 worth of training) She has good comformation, and shes very sweet, but shes not an easy going morgan, but she wouldnt do anything to hurt a person, or another horse. She's a fun ride, but I'm not that interested in riding her. Shes out to pasture with the old mare of ours, and staying fat off the air, lol, so me and my mom both agreed we should breed her, or sell her but it would only be as a brood mare since I don't know the extent of her riding ability (We rode her for the first time in YEARS with a saddle and a hackamore and she was awsome, no buck or anything).

So does anyone know of any morgan stallions in Maryland? Or what is another breed that would make a good cross, like a sport horse? (My mom is a NO for arabs...) Or anyone want a morgan?:lmao:

Her's Harmony, with me riding her with a saddle for the first time in years.
YouTube - C.S Harmony: Newest horse, first time riding w/ saddle

fredsaid2

Leitha Stone (410-326-4758) in Calvert is a local authority on Morgans. She would be a good contact to help you evaluate your mare's broodmare potential.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
We have a morgan mare we're thinking about breeding(shes registered). We've had her since december last year, and I've only rode her a few times (she needs work, but previouse owners said she had $18,000 worth of training) She has good comformation, and shes very sweet, but shes not an easy going morgan, but she wouldnt do anything to hurt a person, or another horse. She's a fun ride, but I'm not that interested in riding her. Shes out to pasture with the old mare of ours, and staying fat off the air, lol, so me and my mom both agreed we should breed her, or sell her but it would only be as a brood mare since I don't know the extent of her riding ability (We rode her for the first time in YEARS with a saddle and a hackamore and she was awsome, no buck or anything).

So does anyone know of any morgan stallions in Maryland? Or what is another breed that would make a good cross, like a sport horse? (My mom is a NO for arabs...) Or anyone want a morgan?:lmao:

What color is your morgan mare? there is a nice 15.1hh palimino stallion in PA. Wgc's Golden Oak @ Bel-borne Farms

There is also a nice big homozygous black 16.2hh in SC -LMH Pride and Peace.

Last edited:

fredsaid2

She should really get a knowledgeable person's input before moving forward w/ breeding this mare. Color would be at the bottom of the list. Registered or no, does the mare have the conformation, temperament and desirable qualities to pass on to a foal? It sounds like there is little background on the mare having only owned her since last Dec and not doing much with her since then. Possession of working reproductive parts should not be the only reason to breed. Then Flare would be just another BYB and swell the ranks of the ignorant. Ya know?? :shrug:

Robin

I found that by time you invest in the breeding and getting your mare properlyready, vetting, travel, live/cover insemination, follow-ups and the what ifs that could happen. It was much cheaper, to go the route of purchasing a foal after weaning with all the same bloodlines. Too many folks skip those important processes just to have a baby from their own mares.

fredsaid2

I found that by time you invest in the breeding and getting your mare properlyready, vetting, travel, live/cover insemination, follow-ups and the what ifs that could happen. It was much cheaper, to go the route of purchasing a foal after weaning with all the same bloodlines. Too many folks skip those important processes just to have a baby from their own mares.

:yeahthat: Exactly! For some I think it's a control thing and an ego booster. If they breed they acquire an assumed level of knowledge, makes them look as if they know what they're doing esp to those who don't know any better. Besides, those foals are SO cute. Then they grow up. :eyebrow:

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
:yeahthat: Exactly! For some I think it's a control thing and an ego booster. If they breed they acquire an assumed level of knowledge, makes them look as if they know what they're doing esp to those who don't know any better. Besides, those foals are SO cute. Then they grow up. :eyebrow:

Yeah just like babies.....

Robin

I have someone elses cute foals that are now 5 and 6 yrs old that are cute back yard babies that wound up to scary to handle and never been halter trained just fed in the fields and turned into wild untrained babies that are dangerous. I have had them for 4 months now and only one is showing improvement with daily handling. Slow process. One was probably bred for color, he is pretty, but conformation and developement stinks.

Cowgirl

She should really get a knowledgeable person's input before moving forward w/ breeding this mare. Color would be at the bottom of the list. Registered or no, does the mare have the conformation, temperament and desirable qualities to pass on to a foal? It sounds like there is little background on the mare having only owned her since last Dec and not doing much with her since then. Possession of working reproductive parts should not be the only reason to breed. Then Flare would be just another BYB and swell the ranks of the ignorant. Ya know?? :shrug:

:yay:

Robin

Flare,
What kind of training did your mare go through and was she out showing when you purchased or aquired her? If she was deemed a broodmare, there could be reasons folks sell them or give them away because of that. break down during training, not a good show horse. etc.

Robin

alot of times there are hidden issues, If the horse was that good to become a broodmare most professionals would hold onto them theirselves. just my opinion.

lovemyber135

i board at veritas farm on route 6 in la plata...and the lady that owns the farm is very much into morgans...maybe she can help you....veritasfarms.com....i think lol her name is amy

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
Actually we got this mare for free. We took care of Ruth and Lee Saddlers horses for over a year, and for the last 3 months of it we went over there 2x a day. If any one knows Ruth and Lee y'all would know that back in thier day they where big into the morgans, in 2000 they where awarded AMHA Honors - Man and Woman of the Year. They bred Morgans their selves, but this mare they got for free because she was abused by her origanal training ( the people wanted a park horse), and so when they got her she was a scared mess.
Her problem was she wouldnt stop, she spooks so easily, so she was sent for retraining,a morgan trainer at 3 ( i think thats what they told me). She came back a few years later ( i dont know how long, i could be mixing the story), they said she rode fine, but only in a double twisted wire snaffle, and they wern't having that (they changed bits).
For a while some little girl was interested in Harmony, she was warned in advance that the mare is very skidish. Well the girl took her out one day, somthing scared the horse and she took off back to the barn, the girl fell and that was the end of that.
So she sat for years, untill we came. Ruth and Lee said themselves she would make an awsome broodmare, and they would love to see that happen. I have brushed up on the Morgan standards, because of horse judging and horse bowl, and she fits most of it, except being skidish. She is very correct, the only thing i dont like about her is her head, but thats my opinion. She has awsome movement, and i call her twinkle toes because it always looks like shes dancing when she moves, and the trot is easy to sit to. I also found out what C.S stands for, Cold Sunday (or is it saturday?) Farm . I saw their website. Me and my mother are still close with Ruth and Lee, so if i have any question I can call them up or go see them.
Also there is someone on the forums, i dont think she posted in a while, who took lessons from Ruth and Lee, and is now big into the Morgans, I think she knows Harmony.

But breedings a thought, we still havent really "rode" her.

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
i board at veritas farm on route 6 in la plata...and the lady that owns the farm is very much into morgans...maybe she can help you....veritasfarms.com....i think lol her name is amy

Thats the lady that knows Ruth and Lee. I've been meaning to e-mail her...

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
I agree with others on here. You need to have your mare checked by a vet to make sure she is able to produce a healthy foal. You also should have a recongized trainer of that breed make sure she is what is best for the breed. Then I would suggest looking inton stallions and asking the owners of the stallions if the mix of the two would produce a quality foal. Remember, if there are things about your mare that you don't like make sure the stallion has different qualities that will knock out the mares or atleast try.

I would also look for stallions that are well known even if they are more expensive.

I'm currently looking for a stallion for my mare but I don't plan on breeding her until after congress of 2010 since I will probably be showing in it. I have a list of boys I like and have contacted owners about the stallions. Also, I look for other offspring of the stallions I like and see how they are. I saw a gelding from "These Irons are Hot" and I really liked him. Just remember to take your time and search. There is no reason to rush. And don't breed just to breed make sure there is a purpose to it. Like myself I want to start from the bottom and bring a horse all the way to the top. Also remember it's a lot of time and patients.

Robin

Actually we got this mare for free. We took care of Ruth and Lee Saddlers horses for over a year, and for the last 3 months of it we went over there 2x a day. If any one knows Ruth and Lee y'all would know that back in thier day they where big into the morgans, in 2000 they where awarded AMHA Honors - Man and Woman of the Year. They bred Morgans their selves, but this mare they got for free because she was abused by her origanal training ( the people wanted a park horse), and so when they got her she was a scared mess.
Her problem was she wouldnt stop, she spooks so easily, so she was sent for retraining,a morgan trainer at 3 ( i think thats what they told me). She came back a few years later ( i dont know how long, i could be mixing the story), they said she rode fine, but only in a double twisted wire snaffle, and they wern't having that (they changed bits).
For a while some little girl was interested in Harmony, she was warned in advance that the mare is very skidish. Well the girl took her out one day, somthing scared the horse and she took off back to the barn, the girl fell and that was the end of that.
So she sat for years, untill we came. Ruth and Lee said themselves she would make an awsome broodmare, and they would love to see that happen. I have brushed up on the Morgan standards, because of horse judging and horse bowl, and she fits most of it, except being skidish. She is very correct, the only thing i dont like about her is her head, but thats my opinion. She has awsome movement, and i call her twinkle toes because it always looks like shes dancing when she moves, and the trot is easy to sit to. I also found out what C.S stands for, Cold Sunday (or is it saturday?) Farm . I saw their website. Me and my mother are still close with Ruth and Lee, so if i have any question I can call them up or go see them.
Also there is someone on the forums, i dont think she posted in a while, who took lessons from Ruth and Lee, and is now big into the Morgans, I think she knows Harmony.

But breedings a thought, we still havent really "rode" her.

Sounds like you have a good back ground on the mare. I would really research and ask alot of questions. Next time your vet is out get some quotes and information on what kind of visits and how often and general amount spent for a mare start to foal. Sometimes that can be enough to help make a decision yes or no

Good luck in your ventures

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
What is her pedigree?

I know some of the morgan pedigrees having grown up with morgans. Since she was a park horse she has had some scarey training that most horses have a hard time getting past.

Bring me a copy of her pedigree on Sunday and i can take a peek at it. I can also tell you what the sires were like if I recoganize the names.

Is she a Lippit(shorter and stockier) or is she tall and leggy?

CountryLady

luvmyponies

That is true however there are no guarantees even with a foal, anything could happen even before that are able to be ridden. There is still a lot of time and investment that goes into rearing a foal.

Robin

That is true however there are no guarantees even with a foal, anything could happen even before that are able to be ridden. There is still a lot of time and investment that goes into rearing a foal.

just talking about the breeding expenses