Plane Crash??

Lilly

The Original Lilly
I just heard something about a plane crash on base??
Supposedly near Gate 2? Anyone know what is happening?

G

giggles04

All I know is that it was a civilian plane that went down.... 2 people ejected from the plane... one flown out via helo... and the other taken by band aid box...
Don't know what happened... but this is from my dad thats in the base fire department!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
That explains the MD State Helo heading south right over 235 and the ambulance and medic units I passed on my way home.

Lilly

The Original Lilly
Originally posted by cariblue

cessna's don't have ejection seats. you have an update?

I think by ejected she meant thrown out of the plane. At least thats what it sounds like from what I heard. Anyone know the status of the guys?

Cars don't have ejection seats either - but you often hear passengers refered to as being 'ejected' from the vehicle when they fly through the windshield.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Well I heard it was a "hard landing" into the field and didn't go into the woods. The pilot banged up his face a little and the passanger had head injuries and was flown out. No ejection from what I have heard, just one hell of an experience.

fuzzyng

so, did the plane crash or was it shot down? :biggrin: ONLY JOKING! anywho... I keep hearing the "hard landing" story too... anyone know why they decided to land where they did, though...?

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Where exactally did they land on base? I was just on there yesterday and I didn't see where it could have happended.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Originally posted by fuzzyng
I keep hearing the "hard landing" story too... anyone know why they decided to land where they did, though...?

The engine failed and that is a clear area of reasonable size to attempt it. Cessna's don't glide real well especially when already at a low altitude. I guess he could have tried to put it down on 235 but maybe traffic prevented that.

The antenna farm is just about across from the club on 235 between gate 2 and 3, I think it was called "Mr. C's".

C

calvertguy

Cessna's don't glide real well especially when already at a low altitude.

Dont know who told you this but this is not so. I'm a pilot and Cessna's glide very well. There are different factors that determine how well or, how bad a plane will glide. :cool:

Ken King

PREMO Member
Originally posted by calvertguy

Dont know who told you this but this is not so. I'm a pilot and Cessna's glide very well. There are different factors that determine how well or, how bad a plane will glide. :cool:

I stand corrected on the glide slope issue and am uncertain what model it was or if it had fixed gear or anything else that increases drag. I should have said any aircraft operating at such a low altitude doesn't have much of a chance of gliding very far. This aircraft was observed operating below 1000 feet when the engine died, I don't think he could have made it the 8 to 9 miles back to St. Mary's without power.