Birdseed question

beachnut01

with everyone cutting back these days and birdseed so expensive-has anyone ever 'made' their own?? I heard once of drying out your squash/veggie seeds. Would love any comments/advice. Thanks!

Katelin

one day the dark will end
with everyone cutting back these days and birdseed so expensive-has anyone ever 'made' their own?? I heard once of drying out your squash/veggie seeds. Would love any comments/advice. Thanks!

Not enough oil in them to benifit the birds.
The reason they love sunflower seeds...the oil content!

idiganthro

Don't know if it helps, but I found the following info online- maybe if you make a big batch yourself, it will be cheaper than buying pre-made stuff. I get chicken food (contains cracked corn and seeds, etc.) from Stauffer's Feed Mill and it's like less than $6 for 25 pounds. Have to do some research, but I'll bet wild birds will eat it also???

"Black oil sunflower seeds are eaten by Cardinals, American Goldfinch, House Finch, Juncos, Mourning Doves, Nuthatches, Grosbeaks, Tufted Titmice, Chickadees, and Sparrows.

Safflower seeds are enjoyed by Cardinals, Morning Doves, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Chickadees, and Sparrows.

Millet is enjoyed by Cardinals, Mourning Doves, Juncos, and Sparrows.

Cracked corn is enjoyed by Cardinals, Mourning Doves, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Juncos, and Sparrows.

You can prepare a mix based on the type of bird you wish to attract. Birds also benefit from organic fruit, such as apples or oranges sliced in half, organic raisins and unsalted nut pieces."
Organic Wild Bird Feed - The O'Mama Report

Katelin

Corn is not a naturally occuring food for any wildlife.
It has a lot of sugars and not all that good.
They "like" it, as it is sweet, but not good for them.
Just for your info......

idiganthro

Corn is not a naturally occuring food for any wildlife.
It has a lot of sugars and not all that good.
They "like" it, as it is sweet, but not good for them.
Just for your info......

Good info to have! Forget the chicken food idea!
Maybe buy bulk bags of the sunflower, safflower, and millet and make your own blend. You'd spend some up front, but save a fortune in the long run.

Any ideas on where to get bulk bags like that?

Katelin

Good info to have! Forget the chicken food idea!
Maybe buy bulk bags of the sunflower, safflower, and millet and make your own blend. You'd spend some up front, but save a fortune in the long run.

Any ideas on where to get bulk bags like that?

Actually, the black oil sunflower seed is all you need. The mixtures are wasteful..as the birds go after the sunflower and toss the millet and safflower.
A lot of you millet is from the sounth and not a natural product up here as sunflowers are.

I worked in a bird store while on college and learned a lot what birds eat and what they toss over the side.
Black oil and a good suet feeder is all you need...plus a bird bath filled with clean water!

idiganthro

But will just the sunflower seeds attract all the variety of birds? I love the little finches and chickadees, and the buntings, and the woodpeckers! I put together this crazy blend trying to attract the greatest variety of birds. I guess the wild birds eat what they want, and my chickens peck at what hits the ground.

Only problem with the sunflower seeds is that the squirrels monopolize the feeders. I switched to safflower seeds in one of my feeders just to keep the squirrels away! They eat my suet cakes also. Greedy things!

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
But will just the sunflower seeds attract all the variety of birds? I love the little finches and chickadees, and the buntings, and the woodpeckers! I put together this crazy blend trying to attract the greatest variety of birds. I guess the wild birds eat what they want, and my chickens peck at what hits the ground.

Only problem with the sunflower seeds is that the squirrels monopolize the feeders. I switched to safflower seeds in one of my feeders just to keep the squirrels away! They eat my suet cakes also. Greedy things!

I have a little feeder VERY close to the house that I only use the sunflower meat in. I get all the cute little birds and once in a while a squirrel will show up, but between me and the dogs, we manage to keep them away. The little birds really prefer sunflower chips as opposed to the safflower or whatever that other white stuff is. Sunflower chips are about $10 for a small bag, so I don't buy it a lot and fill the feeder with just a bit at a time. The feeder is so small that the bluejays can't mount on it and eat it all.

idiganthro

My goldfinches love thistle/nyjer :shrug:

They must be fickle- I have a thistle feeder, but it's hardly ever used- the finches go straight for the regular bird food (sunflower/millet mix) or the safflower.

The exception is that if I hang up one of those thistle "socks" it seems to go pretty fast.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
My goldfinches love thistle/nyjer :shrug:

Ours will eat the thistle, also, but they prefer the sunflower chips. If that feeder is empty, they will go to the thistle feeder. The bluejays and squirrels don't touch the thistle.

Rael

Supper's Ready
Actually, the black oil sunflower seed is all you need. The mixtures are wasteful.
:yeahthat: I used to think some of them were accidentally dropping the seeds until I saw this wren raking them out in volumes just to get to one kind. :lol:

They've been eating the cracked sunflower also. One type, I think it's the chickadees, grab a chunk between thier toes and take bites from it.
Titmice do that as well, and at least they use the solid branch as a foundation. This same wren was using a soft pine needle bed to try breaking the seed open without holding it down. It kept bouncing away. Even funnier to watch was when he'd lose the seed. Left, right, left right...where'd it go? where'd it go? :lol:

Ours will eat the thistle, also, but they prefer the sunflower chips. If that feeder is empty, they will go to the thistle feeder. The bluejays and squirrels don't touch the thistle.
Normally our squirrels stay away from the thistle, too. Unless they don't care for what's in the other feeder. But I've seen one on it shaking seed everywhere, but not eating them or even going to the ground to eat them. I was :confused:

I haven't found the perfect seed which feeds only the birds I'd like to without drawing blackbirds, squirrels, and raccoons. Safflower and black oil is the closest combination.