This is depressing...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Reuters AlertNet - Antidepressant use doubles in US, study finds

WASHINGTON, Aug 3 (Reuters) - Use of antidepressant drugs in the United States doubled between 1996 and 2005, probably because of a mix of factors, researchers reported on Monday.

About 6 percent of people were prescribed an antidepressant in 1996 -- 13 million people. This rose to more than 10 percent or 27 million people by 2005, the researchers found.

"Significant increases in antidepressant use were evident across all sociodemographic groups examined, except African Americans," Dr. Mark Olfson of Columbia University in New York and Steven Marcus of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia wrote in the Archives of General Psychiatry.

The good news is blacks are not depressed. Maybe I'm a black man?

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I had the most terrible arguments with my profs about this in my psych classes.. They push these drugs like they are tic tacs... It is aweful...people are NOT more depressed than they ever were...more people are NOT diagnosed because the "stigma" is gone....they will tell you thses things in the news....the real reason use has doubled? Because people think they need a pill to deal with life. and this comes from tv commercials for drugs...and doctors who want to shut people up. They said on the news the other day that they had patients as young as three...can you believe it? A three year old? give me a break if a three year old seems depressed..arrest its parents.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...the real reason use has doubled? Because people think they need a pill to deal with life...

To me, it's kinda like this;

"I spend too much money, eat crappy food, don't get enough exercise, get up late every day, always in a rush, my home is a mess, I watch too much TV, hate my job and have a significant other I don't get along with at all. I need a pill to deal with all of this!"

WTF? :lol: