College graduate suing school....

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
Alumna sues college because she hasn't found a job - CNN.com

A recent college graduate is suing her alma mater for $72,000 -- the full cost of her tuition and then some -- because she cannot find a job.

As Thompson sees it, any reasonable employer would pounce on an applicant with her academic credentials, which include a 2.7 grade-point average and a solid attendance record. But Monroe's career-services department has put forth insufficient effort to help her secure employment, she claims.

"They're supposed to say, 'I got this student, her attendance is good, her GPA is all right -- can you interview this person?' They're not doing that," she said.

:cds:
:duel:

Toxick

Splat
"They're supposed to say, 'I got this student, her attendance is good, her GPA is all right -- can you interview this person?' They're not doing that," she said.[/I]

Maybe someone should inform her that the job market is exceptionally tight at the moment. It's tough to get an interview at freaking McDonald's right now. Even with a diploma or degree.

Maybe she should sue the legislative and executive branches of the gobberment because their stimulus package* didn't open the floodgates of the economy as promised.

*I can never say that phrases without a scornful chuckle.

Alumna sues college because she hasn't found a job - CNN.com

A recent college graduate is suing her alma mater for $72,000 -- the full cost of her tuition and then some -- because she cannot find a job.

As Thompson sees it, any reasonable employer would pounce on an applicant with her academic credentials, which include a 2.7 grade-point average and a solid attendance record. But Monroe's career-services department has put forth insufficient effort to help her secure employment, she claims.

"They're supposed to say, 'I got this student, her attendance is good, her GPA is all right -- can you interview this person?' They're not doing that," she said.

:cds:
:duel:
"I got" an idea. She should get off her azz and find her own damn job. Just like I did after I graduated from college. The Career center's job is to help you write a resume and have a folder of job postings for you to apply for. It is NOT their job to be a headhunter. Stupid bia. If i was a business owner, there is no way in holy hell I would hire this chick after she pulled this stunt.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
PRICELESS! A Lib sueing a Lib College. I love it!

If she had gotten say, a 3.5 or above she might be competitive. or hey how about a SCIENCE degree, but noooo, she wants to be hired in at too much money in the business industry which is over crowded and laying off good , EXPERIENCED workers. Tough luck honey, should've used that college education to read up on the forecasted job market 4 years ago.

A college degree does not guarantee a job, good pay or happiness.

I don't have a college degree and I'm making REALLY good money. So's the HVAC tech, plumber, mechanic and builders. Yeah, tech school is what really pays off, unless you're an engineer or scientist. But she would have to be really and truly smart to get those degrees.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
"I got" an idea. She should get off her azz and find her own damn job. Just like I did after I graduated from college. The Career center's job is to help you write a resume and have a folder of job postings for you to apply for. It is NOT their job to be a headhunter. Stupid bia. If i was a business owner, there is no way in holy hell I would hire this chick after she pulled this stunt.

Agree with you here. This type of action gives the appearance of the person being someone who can not/will not take responsibility for their own actions. It is not the fault of the college that she earned a 2.7 GPA instead of a 4.0. It is not the fault of the college that employers are going after the 4.0 scholars and not the lower-scoring ones. That is just the way the world works. Even when the economy was good, a college degree did not guarantee a job in your filed of study. Sometimes you have to settle for something less than what you wanted and work really hard at that to succeed while you keep looking for what you want. I'd hire a person who worked at McDonald's with a degree before I'd hire a person who worked nowhere & sued the college -- at least I'd know that the person working at McDonald's had some kind of drive! :coffee:

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
As Thompson sees it, any reasonable employer would pounce on an applicant with her academic credentials, which include a 2.7 grade-point average and a solid attendance record.

I've got an idea this is a socially-, ethnically-disadvantaged product of early exposure to Head Start in elementary school.

T

tiny_dancer33

HAHAHAHAHAH

She has a 2.7 GPA and demands to be hired?

This busting-her-azz-for-grades-at-a-private-college-with-no-guarantee-of-a-job, paying-her-way-through-$60,000-tuition would like to ask this girl to sit the heck down.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
What just blows my mind is that did she really think that the career office would get her a job. I know that my career office in the school helps with resume writing and provides links to companies. They don't say..we will get you a job.

Also a 2.7 GPA isn't that great. IF she wasn't working while in school why isn't her GPA higher? I worked full-time while getting my BS degree and graduated with a 3.79. I know..short of a 4.0..what can I say I got a C in my last class.

OH and what school charges 70,000 for a BS degree. She already had a assocaites so some of those credits should have transferred over. My undergrad cost 45K, and my Master's will be 30K. That is two degrees for the price of her one.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Lets' see; she feels entitled, isn't getting her way so she's suing?

School did their job; Sounds like another successful modern American to me.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
What just blows my mind is that did she really think that the career office would get her a job. I know that my career office in the school helps with resume writing and provides links to companies. They don't say..we will get you a job.

Also a 2.7 GPA isn't that great. IF she wasn't working while in school why isn't her GPA higher? I worked full-time while getting my BS degree and graduated with a 3.79. I know..short of a 4.0..what can I say I got a C in my last class.
Any judge that even entertains the idea of hearing this should be disbarred. As should the lawyers taking the case.

E

EmptyTimCup

Maybe someone should inform her that the job market is exceptionally tight at the moment. It's tough to get an interview at freaking McDonald's right now. Even with a diploma or degree.

But But But ........... The Messiah graces the WH .... the lands should be flowing with milk and honey

Beta84

They're out to get us
:killingme

some dope that went to some no-name school that had a crummy GPA is whining because the school didn't go above and beyond to get her a job? And she's complaining after THREE MONTHS? With a bachelor's degree in BUSINESS? What does she expect? The career department gives you resources and if you jump their ass at every turn, you'll probably get all the help you need to get a job...eventually. The degree, GPA, length of time since graduation, and likely lazy/entitled factors probably all make her job hunt difficult.

It took me longer than 3 months to find a job with a solid GPA from a good school. Of course, I was dumb and didn't apply to as many places as I should have, but that's besides the point. The economy sucks, but I don't think that factored into my own problems. It's probably factoring into hers though. Either way, suck it up, keep applying, and if you're good enough then you'll eventually find a job. Almost every company loves new grads right now...they're cheaper than people with experience!

People can be so inept. I've got an idea for Monroe College. They should settle and for less (if they can afford it) but in return, strip her of her degree. If she wants her money back, they get their degree back. Then we'll see what kind of jobs she can get.

ylexot

Super Genius
It took me ~6 months to get a job after I graduated and I had a 3.7 in Aerospace Engineering. Suck it up beotch!

Oh, and "solid attendance record"? :confused: I don't remember them taking attendance in any of my classes. :shrug:

dn0121

That is the first line on my resume. "My attendance in class was 95%." I've gotten every job I have ever applied for too. She should have hooked up with a different counselor who has the resume writing experience.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
That is the first line on my resume. "My attendance in class was 95%." I've gotten every job I have ever applied for too. She should have hooked up with a different counselor who has the resume writing experience.

Where is the copy of her resume?

I still can't get over her whining about it and sueing the school. I know of quite a few fresh college graduates that have 4.0's and can't find jobs.