Could you imagine...

belvak

Happy Camper
being unable to bury a loved one?

Death in the Recession: More Bodies Left Unburied

Have economic times gotten so bad that some of the dead are going unburied? Several large counties across the country are experiencing unprecedented increases in the number of unclaimed deceased - not only because the dead people could not be identified, were indigent or were estranged from their family, but also apparently because more people simply cannot afford to bury or cremate their loved ones. The phenomenon has increased costs for local governments, which have to dispose of the bodies.

Currently in Detroit, says Samuels, "I have approximately 65 to 70 bodies that are ready to be buried. Of those 65 or 70, I can tell you, are 35 or 40 where families have signed off on the bodies and they don't have the funds to bury them." It costs the state - or the county, if the state declines to help - $750 to bury an unclaimed decedent in a potter's grave in Western Wayne County.

Can't say I blame them... it's not like we, the general public, have an option to bury someone for the bargain cost of $750.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
And remember, as the commercial says: "Social Security pays only $250 towards your loved one's final expenses." That commercial always px#@es me off.

ImnoMensa

And remember, as the commercial says: "Social Security pays only $250 towards your loved one's final expenses." That commercial always px#@es me off.

Costs nearly $12,000 dollars to0 bury a loved one here in St. Mary's County $750 is a bargain price. Probably in a cardboard box, but it;s still a good price.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
What's wrong with the Body Farm :shrug:

Good plan, except....

There is no cost to you or your family for the donation of your body to the Department of Anthropology if you are in Tennessee and within 200 miles of Knoxville. However, if you are more than 200 miles from Knoxville, or outside the state of Tennessee (regardless of mileage) at the time of your death, your family will be responsible for arranging transportation of your body to our facility. Please contact a local funeral service to discuss the necessary arrangements.

belvak

Happy Camper
Wow, I was looking at this from a totally different angle. I know of a situation where there was a death in the family and they had no life insurance, or money for a funeral. The family was "lucky" in that their church had a member who donated a plot with a vault, and the rest of the fees were picked up by the church too. This was someone who had suffered through a very long terminal illness, and that's why the family had no money for the burial. The article just made me think, "what if" it were me, or one of my loved ones?

Last edited:

RPMDAD

Not really so found out the hard way, my Dad passed first, then several years later my Mom passed. I brought up the Social Security $250 to the funeral home when my Mom passed and they informed me that was for husbands and wifes only not to extended Loved ones like children.