Sick! Montgomery County Fire fighter arrested

seeamovie

This is really disturbing. How could someone such as this be a leader in a fire department. Why is he still being paid?

Montgomery Co. firefighter charged with soliciting minor -- baltimoresun.com

ROCKVILLE - Montgomery County police have arrested a county firefighter on charges that he solicited sex from a police officer posing online as a 16-year-old girl.

Wayne Mothershead, 44, was arrested July 20 after arranging to meet the girl. He has been released on $100,000 bond and placed on administrative leave with pay.

Police say Mothershead used his county e-mail address to begin contact with someone who had posted on Craigslist, unknowingly contacting two undercover officers

eddy1

This is really disturbing. How could someone such as this be a leader in a fire department. Why is he still being paid?

ROCKVILLE - Montgomery County police have arrested a county firefighter on charges that he solicited sex from a police officer posing online as a 16-year-old girl.

Wayne Mothershead, 44, was arrested July 20 after arranging to meet the girl. He has been released on $100,000 bond and placed on administrative leave with pay.

Police say Mothershead used his county e-mail address to begin contact with someone who had posted on Craigslist, unknowingly contacting two undercover officers

Maybe because he hasn't been convicted of anything yet?

bcp

In My Opinion
It is 16, but until they are 18, you have to be within 4 years of their age. so, if they guy was over 20, he is in violation.

eddy1

It is 16, but until they are 18, you have to be within 4 years of their age. so, if they guy was over 20, he is in violation.

Wrong there too. Once you are 16, you can legally have sex with a 90 year old in Maryland. This guy's problem is he solicited sex on line to a girl who was sixteen. There are child abuse laws which prohibit someone from soliciting a minor.

The exception to that would be if the person has some sort of care and custody of you.

foodcritic

16 is the legal age of consent in MD. The only thing I can think of is that he has some official capacity that may be a restriction. The law has certain conditions for example a teacher would be in violation EVEN if the child is 16.

I don't know if it means the student's teacher or just a teacher in general. What about private school teacher etc.

So I don't know all the details. Keep watching and let us know....

foodcritic

Here, let me help:

NO NO I don't think that's it. I figured it out. The violations are listed here

http://www.moraloutrage.net/staticpages/index.php?page=Maryland

Clearly it 14-15 y/o that fall in to the category..

THE KEY TO THE STORY IS SOLICITATION!! The confusing point here is that consent is 16 but the law defines minor as under 18. So if you want to start a relationship with someone under 18 they would have to "solicit" the adult first or be in violation. Rather crazy really......

§ 3-324. Sexual solicitation of minor.

(a) "Solicit" defined.- In this section, "solicit" means to command, authorize, urge, entice, request, or advise a person by any means, including:
(1) in person;

(2) through an agent or agency;

(3) over the telephone;
(4) through any print medium;
(5) by mail;
(6) by computer or Internet; or

(7) by any other electronic means.

(b) Prohibited.- A person may not, with the intent to commit a violation of § 3-304, § 3-306, or § 3-307 of this subtitle, knowingly solicit a minor, or a law enforcement officer posing as a minor, to engage in activities that would be unlawful for the person to engage in under § 3-304, § 3-306, or § 3-307 of this subtitle. This confuses me since 16 is age of consent

(c) Jurisdiction.- A violation of this section is considered to be committed in the State for purposes of determining jurisdiction if the solicitation:

(1) originated in the State; or

(2) is received in the State.

(d) Penalty.- A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 10 years or a fine not exceeding $25,000 or both.

bcp

In My Opinion
Here, let me help:
this is what I thought, but after trying my best to prove my statement, the only thing I could find was the rules that covered that 16 year old if you were in charge or direction of her in some legal way.

From what I can find, I assume its ok for the 50 year old neighbor to bounce your 16 year old daughter providing she gives consent.

of course then we have to study other rules to see how his being dragged behind the fathers car for a few miles would be handled. Hopefully in a court with a jury of parents.

bcp

In My Opinion
NO NO I don't think that's it. I figured it out. The violations are listed here

http://www.moraloutrage.net/staticpages/index.php?page=Maryland

Clearly it 14-15 y/o that fall in to the category..

THE KEY TO THE STORY IS SOLICITATION!! The confusing point here is that consent is 16 but the law defines minor as under 18. So if you want to start a relationship with someone under 18 they would have to "solicit" the adult first or be in violation. Rather crazy really......

§ 3-324. Sexual solicitation of minor.

(a) "Solicit" defined.- In this section, "solicit" means to command, authorize, urge, entice, request, or advise a person by any means, including:
(1) in person;

(2) through an agent or agency;

(3) over the telephone;
(4) through any print medium;
(5) by mail;
(6) by computer or Internet; or

(7) by any other electronic means.

(b) Prohibited.- A person may not, with the intent to commit a violation of § 3-304, § 3-306, or § 3-307 of this subtitle, knowingly solicit a minor, or a law enforcement officer posing as a minor, to engage in activities that would be unlawful for the person to engage in under § 3-304, § 3-306, or § 3-307 of this subtitle. This confuses me since 16 is age of consent

(c) Jurisdiction.- A violation of this section is considered to be committed in the State for purposes of determining jurisdiction if the solicitation:

(1) originated in the State; or

(2) is received in the State.

(d) Penalty.- A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 10 years or a fine not exceeding $25,000 or both.
I have no idea about that age issue in this case either. seems strange

Animal

I eat red meat
The legal definition of "minor" in Maryland is an individual under the age of 18. While you might legally have sex with someone as young as 16 soliciting anyone under 18 (or an LEO posing as a minor) would be what it seems makes it a crime.

foodcritic

Actually I just found some good news with this story..

If you have a child under 16 and they are getting solicitations via phone or computer (my space) and the thug is 18 or older it seems that this charge may offer some sort of pay back. Report it and file charges for the Solicitation of a minor...:buddies:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The legal definition of "minor" in Maryland is an individual under the age of 18. While you might legally have sex with someone as young as 16 soliciting anyone under 18 (or an LEO posing as a minor) would be what it seems makes it a crime.

Any time two people have sex, it initiates with solicitation in some form. I mean, if you have sex with someone without asking first, we typically call that "rape". :shrug: