Kennedy shame goes way back.

Pete

Repete
So I am reading the story of Eunice Kennedy Shriver because she died and as Kennedy's go she did the most good which is admirable.

It was touching that she did so much for the mentally ill, starting the Special Olympics and all. She also was responsible for care of her sister Rose who was her inspiration for the Special Olympics. Rose Kennedy was "mildly retarded". I remembered Rose Kennedy died a few years so I looked her up and read that despite the fact she was only "mildly" retarded Joe Kennedy had her lobotomized when she was 23 years old resulting in her being almost a complete vegetable and required her to being institutionalized. Prior to the lobotomy she was cognizant and even wrote a daily journal.

While allowing a lobotomy could be attributed to the stupidity of the medical establishment way back then it stuck me more that Kennedy was more worried about her mood swings and that she would run away and get pregnant which would cause the family shame.

I guess having your 23 year old daughters brain scrambled to the point she crapped in her pants daily is not nearly as shameful as her getting knocked up or having some sort of outburst during a party in 1941.

I suppose hindsight is 20-20 but even in 1941 going into someones brain and scraping parts of it out cannot be a wise decision.

bcp

In My Opinion
You realize that for someone in a position of political authority or power, even as late as the 1960s to have a retarded child was an embarrassment to them.

I had a cousin that had to stay in their basement when company came over to her house.

The Admiral would have it no other way

Pete

Repete
You realize that for someone in a position of political authority or power, even as late as the 1960s to have a retarded child was an embarrassment to them.

I had a cousin that had to stay in their basement when company came over to her house.

The Admiral would have it no other way

I guess we have come a long way.

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
She also was responsible for care of her sister Rose who was her inspiration for the Special Olympics. Rose Kennedy was "mildly retarded".

The sister's name is Rosemary, her mother's name is Rose.

bcp

In My Opinion
regardless of anything else, Eunice was the only Kennedy out of the entire bunch that earned respect.

God bless her soul.

Toxick

Splat
The sister's name is Rosemary, her mother's name is Rose.

Check out the big brain on Nonno! You a smart mother####er. That's right.

Well... sorta right. Her real given name was "Rose Marie Kennedy". She was usually called Rosemary, but I don't think I'm being presumptuous if I say that she's most likely not spinning around in her grave when someone calls her by her given name Rose.

It's like when someone calls you by your true name: Douche.

Last edited:

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican

Well... sorta right. Her real given name was "Rose Marie Kennedy". She was usually called Rosemary, but I don't I'm being presumptuous if I say that she's most likely not spinning around in her grave when someone calls her by her given name Rose.

OWNED!

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!

Well... sorta right. Her real given name was "Rose Marie Kennedy". She was usually called Rosemary, but I don't think I'm being presumptuous if I say that she's most likely not spinning around in her grave when someone calls her by her given name Rose.

What happened to Nonno, crushed by facts again??? :killingme

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
So I am reading the story of Eunice Kennedy Shriver because she died and as Kennedy's go she did the most good which is admirable.

It was touching that she did so much for the mentally ill, starting the Special Olympics and all. She also was responsible for care of her sister Rose who was her inspiration for the Special Olympics. Rose Kennedy was "mildly retarded". I remembered Rose Kennedy died a few years so I looked her up and read that despite the fact she was only "mildly" retarded Joe Kennedy had her lobotomized when she was 23 years old resulting in her being almost a complete vegetable and required her to being institutionalized. Prior to the lobotomy she was cognizant and even wrote a daily journal.

While allowing a lobotomy could be attributed to the stupidity of the medical establishment way back then it stuck me more that Kennedy was more worried about her mood swings and that she would run away and get pregnant which would cause the family shame.

I guess having your 23 year old daughters brain scrambled to the point she crapped in her pants daily is not nearly as shameful as her getting knocked up or having some sort of outburst during a party in 1941.

I suppose hindsight is 20-20 but even in 1941 going into someones brain and scraping parts of it out cannot be a wise decision.

Pretty sad, huh? I remember when I read about it all and was just horrified at what they did back then.

You're right about Eunice and her founding the Special Olympics. She also seems to have raised some pretty good children, too. Even though I don't agree politically, Maria Shriver seems to have done well for herself, as have her brothers. Without any scandals, it would seem.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

:killingme
Ok, Mr. Toxick - now I might need a new monitor and keyboard. Or a whole new laptop. TYVM