pit bulls/rottweilers

libby

As a breed I think these dogs are more vicious than other dogs, but I know that is debated by people who love them. However, people who love and own these dogs are probably aware of how uncomfortable the dogs make others. Does it seem irresponsible or thoughtless to anyone else that these dogs can be found at parks among hundreds of kids?
This week at Lancaster two pits were being walked all around, making me very nervous for my children. Then at Ryken's football practice, I see this horse of a Rottweiler! Freaked me out!
So, am I terrible for being angry that the owners would bring these animals, who strike fear in the hearts of many, to places teeming with children?

Set me straight!

Mojo

Not everyone is afraid of them, if they are on a leash and you're still scared, maybe you should quit going to public places.

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists
As a breed I think these dogs are more vicious than other dogs, but I know that is debated by people who love them. However, people who love and own these dogs are probably aware of how uncomfortable the dogs make others. Does it seem irresponsible or thoughtless to anyone else that these dogs can be found at parks among hundreds of kids?
This week at Lancaster two pits were being walked all around, making me very nervous for my children. Then at Ryken's football practice, I see this horse of a Rottweiler! Freaked me out!
So, am I terrible for being angry that the owners would bring these animals, who strike fear in the hearts of many, to places teeming with children?

Set me straight!

Not sure. I have a 3 year old Rottweiler. Wouldn't hurt a fly but I understand they have a bad stereotype about them. I see why people can be a certain way because if I see pit bull’s I tend to take a step back as well. We take him [and our Great Dane] down to the beach and people look for that reassurance from me that Moose (the Rot) is not going to take them and run off into the woods. Once they realize he is a big baby, they warm right up.

Set me straight!

If I see people bring any dog to a public place my first instinct is they are probably ok around people. I will still watch them, though, with the degree of watchfulness being relative to the size or type of dog and the way they act, also on the way their owner acts.

robbie

You always hear people say "they were always our babies, so sweet, until they attacked and seriously hurt someone." I love all animals but being raised on a farm you can't deny that certain breeds of animals have certain traits that are in their blood and nothing we do will change that. They are dispositioned to this behaviour. I live and Carrington and there are so many pits and rotts its gotten impossible to even take a walk and feel comfortable. I have had them get out and dig at MY fence trying to get to my small dog. The owners think that a little 4ft. chainlink fence will hold them in.
What scares me is the number of children walking etc. these dogs. Even on a leash if they wanted to get to someone that child will not be able to hold them back. I think there should be some laws when it comes to containing these animals and not enforced only after they have gotten out and attacked someone.

Roxie04

I agree that most people who take their dogs out do it cause they know that they can be trusted. There was a time though at Petco that a woman brought her to pits in and they went crazy when they saw my dog. Barking, growling, pulling on their leash. Even the other people in the store were looking a little aggrivated. The woman holding them had no crontrol of them. People like that do not need to take their dogs out in public. Funny thing is as this woman was fighting to get control of her dogs my Mastiff, all 170 lbs of him, just sat there looking at them like what is your problem? Never moved the whole time.That is why I take him out in public, I know he can be trusted around people and other dogs.
I have also had stupid people who own pits follow me and my dog around the store, trying to get a reaction from my dog with theirs. But my dog is not dog aggressive, so they get bored and leave. It really ticks me off cause these type of people do not need to own dogs at all much less that type of breed.

libby

Yeah, I agree that I might be over reacting, which is why I'm looking for opinions. It's just that I can't tell by looking if the dog and/or owner is one of the responsible ones, or one of the losers looking for status in a crowd. It's usually men with these dogs; are they trying to make up for something they lack?
As someone else pointed out, the owners of those who attack always claim that they had no idea their precious Fido would do such a thing.
There are lots of parks around here, and as for Lancaster, there is a fenced in area for dogs, so why not exercise the dog there and return them to the car? If it's too hot in the car, leave them home.
I'm NOT saying these dogs would attack. The question is, should a person be concerned about how others feel, or do we live only for our own comforts.

If my kids are holy terrors, should I avoid taking them to restaurants where they will ruin your meal, or do I leave them home?
Do you roll your eyes if you're at a restaurant and you see a group of kids come in? I'm guessing most people do, because you have no way of knowing if the adults will control the kids and prevent them from ruining your dinner!

UncleBacon

I think you just need to pull you skirt up.....I have 2 pitbulls in my house....one is mine the other is my roommates and they might lick you to death....that's about as mean as they get...I brought my dog home and had all 8 of my nephews and nieces (the youngest being 3) playing with her and she was as gentle as could be with the kids...these dogs have a bad reputation because of irresponsible breeding and owners...people fear them because they're not educated about them...a lot of dog owners have no business owning dogs in the first place...you need to socialize your dog with other dogs and people so they learn how to act around them....this goes for all breeds of dogs...pit bulls and rotties are great dogs as long as they're properly trained with the right people

Chrystee

Were they on leashes? If not, then yes, I'd be concerned. If they were, then don't worry about it. There IS a dog park at Lancaster, so maybe they were coming from/going there.

Dukesdad

I have had two great Rotties including one over 100 pounds. Both very friendly and outgoing. Protective at home but never had bite issues.
Buddy of mine raised Staffs. Couldn't get over my fear of them so I understand your issue.
Your perception is your reality.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!

Set me straight!

Just remember there are good and bad in all breeds and all races of people. Your fear is your fear, only you can make the judgement of whether your fear is correctly placed or not. It really comes down to the owner and how the animal is socialized or treated. I have had a Rottie in the past and he was a gentle loving dog, I have been chased by a pack of nasty Chihuahua's in my youth. Just as another reminder that it is the people and not the breed - do you remember the story of the French woman that had her face chewed off by her dog. If not her dog was a Labrador Retriever, how many vicious Labs have you run across?

Hoover

Set me straight!

Yes i think you are terrible for it so I think you need to rub your ass in bacon grease then run up to them as fast as you can - then smack them up side the head - see what happens. Then you would have a reason to complain. Other than that ignore them and they wont bother you.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Just remember there are good and bad in all breeds and all races of people. Your fear is your fear, only you can make the judgement of whether your fear is correctly placed or not. It really comes down to the owner and how the animal is socialized or treated. I have had a Rottie in the past and he was a gentle loving dog, I have been chased by a pack of nasty Chihuahua's in my youth. Just as another reminder that it is the people and not the breed - do you remember the story of the French woman that had her face chewed off by her dog. If not her dog was a Labrador Retriever, how many vicious Labs have you run across?
several! :jet:
to people but more so to other dogs!!!!

SoMDGirl42

I've had bad experiences with pitbulls and I'm afraid of them. It's my opinion they are not to be trusted.

I don't care if people bring their pitbull to a public place, I only ask that you keep your dog under control on a leash and give me my personal space. No, I don't want you bringing your dog up in my grill to convince me it's so sweet. No I don't want your dog near my children or pets, and no I don't want your dog on my property.

I'll avoid your dog, and your dog can avoid me and I'm very content with that. To each their own. Respect me, and I'll respect you.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Yes i think you are terrible for it so I think you need to rub your ass in bacon grease then run up to them as fast as you can - then smack them up side the head - see what happens. Then you would have a reason to complain. Other than that ignore them and they wont bother you.

True!!!