Maryland Horse Positive for Rabies, Farm Quarantin

Katelin

one day the dark will end
From my daily rabies alert report.

remember to get ALL your horses and farm animals vaccinated against rabies!

Includes your barn/farm cats too!!

A horse residing in Harford County, Md., was euthanized after testing positive for rabies, resulting in a 45-day quarantine of the farm.

Around July 13, owners of the horse began to notice drastic changes in the horse's behavior and gait. A large animal veterinarian examined the animal and suspected rabies.

The horse was then sent to the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton facility, where the diagnosis was confirmed.

"There was no threat at any point outside the immediate family and the farm," said Bill Wiseman, Harford County public information officer.

Family members and other individuals working on the farm were given inoculations. Through the efforts of local, state, and international authorities, one family member working outside the country was located abroad and received treatment as well.

All other domesticated animals on the farm were current on their rabies vaccinations. These animals received boosters as an added precaution. Maryland state regulations call for a 45-day quarantine of the farm, which will expire Aug. 31.

Approximately 25 feral cats living on the farm were trapped, removed, and euthanized as a precaution. Officials said they believe the horse's exposure might have come from an Eastern raccoon.

The Harford County Health Department strongly recommends keeping all pets and livestock up-to-date on their rabies vaccinations.

fredsaid2

Thanks for the post! I've looked at a few other sites but none say if the horse was up to date on it's rabies shot. Have you seen anything?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
"A horse residing in Harford County, Md., was euthanized after testing positive for rabies, resulting in a 45-day quarantine of the farm."

:confused: Thought the only definitive test was done on the brain AFTER the animal is dead.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
There is no known cure that i'm aware of for Rabies, so the assumption is the horse is dead and it's brain was tested.

Those shots (even the "new" ones) are miserable. They can't just booster people, they have to get the immune globulin and booster shots in the series intramuscularly in the event of exposure or potential exposure. It's awful. I had it when I was bitten by a 4 month old rabid GSD pup a guy brought to a place I worked. He had rescued, and it bit him (he didn't tell anyone) so he brought it into work to see if anyone else wanted it.

Dummy me reached out to pet it and WHAP, it bit the crap outta my forearm. That's when he shared that it had bitten him too. :rolleyes: My employer, who was standing right there and nearly got nabbed too, told me to go to the ER straight away and called animal control, who took it, euthanized it and sent it away for testing. The ER started me on the Rabies series that day. IT HURTS, two male nurses held my legs down to jam the first huge needle of thick gooey immune globulin into my thigh it's dosed by your weight (good thing they held me cause I woulda kicked the crap outta somebody it's a huge amount of stuff in that syringe). Then i had 4 more shots over the course of a couple of weeks. Then you get sick as crap, can't stand light in your eyes, all your muscles ache and your stomach cramps up so bad you have to lay in a ball in the dark for a few hours the first few days. It ain't fun. I feel for those people.

The upside is you can get the booster every 2 years and you're good to go. They don't hurt at all. You have to carry a card with you that says you've had the series - the health department gives you that card, that's where i went for follow up shots. Not sure why you're suppose to carry the card.

Last edited:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
There is no known cure that i'm aware of for Rabies, so the assumption is the horse is dead and it's brain was tested.
Those shots (even the "new" ones) are miserable. They can't just booster people, they have to get the immune globulin and booster shots in the series intramuscularly in the event of exposure or potential exposure. It's awful. I had it when I was bitten by a 4 month old rabid GSD pup a guy brought to a place I worked. He had rescued, and it bit him (he didn't tell anyone) so he brought it into work to see if anyone else wanted it.

Dummy me reached out to pet it and WHAP, it bit the crap outta my forearm. That's when he shared that it had bitten him too. :rolleyes: My employer, who was standing right there and nearly got nabbed too, told me to go to the ER straight away and called animal control, who took it, euthanized it and sent it away for testing. The ER started me on the Rabies series that day. IT HURTS, two male nurses held my legs down to jam the first huge needle of thick gooey immune globulin into my thigh it's dosed by your weight (good thing they held me cause I woulda kicked the crap outta somebody it's a huge amount of stuff in that syringe). Then i had 4 more shots over the course of a couple of weeks. Then you get sick as crap, can't stand light in your eyes, all your muscles ache and your stomach cramps up so bad you have to lay in a ball in the dark for a few hours the first few days. It ain't fun. I feel for those people.

The upside is you can get the booster every 2 years and you're good to go. They don't hurt at all. You have to carry a card with you that says you've had the series - the health department gives you that card, that's where i went for follow up shots. Not sure why you're suppose to carry the card.

I figured maybe the article was written incorrectly.

Everyone in my family had the post-exposure shots..we didn't get sick and they weren't that bad...well the first one stung..we got those in our lower back/upper butt, the rest in our arm, with the exception of our youngest, he got them in his thigh. He was three at the time and didn't even whimper. Shots are over a 4 week period.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Smawl Low Cost Rabies Clinic

From my daily rabies alert report.

remember to get ALL your horses and farm animals vaccinated against rabies!

Includes your barn/farm cats too!!

Explore Harford: Horse was rabies risk

FYI
SMAWL LOW COST RABIES CLINIC
Location: St. Mary's County Fairgrounds, Rte. 5, Leonardtown, MD
Date: 9/14/2009
Time: 6 PM
Duration: 02:00

Brought to you by SMAWL.
$10.00 per shot.
All dogs must be on a leash or in a carrier.
Dogs with aggressive tendencies are to be muzzled/remain in owner's vehicle. All cats/ferrets must be in carriers.
Animals must be at least 16-weeks old.
Three year vaccinations require a current rabies certificate.
Tags cannot be accepted.
Horses $10.00 per shot.
Horses do not have to leave trailers to receive the vaccination.

Last edited:

Katelin

one day the dark will end
"A horse residing in Harford County, Md., was euthanized after testing positive for rabies, resulting in a 45-day quarantine of the farm."

:confused: Thought the only definitive test was done on the brain AFTER the animal is dead.

It appears the reporter got the info backwards,,,euthanized first then tested.

The other article got it right.:buddies: