Toddler-Friendly Activities in SOMD/Washington/Annapolis

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
My gf is bringing her 4 year old daughter when she comes to visit this weekend. So far, I'm not really sure what to do to make the daughter's trip enjoyable.

The only 4yo friendly activity I've heard of around here that is Hyperspace.

I suppose it's a good one 'cause it's out of the weather, but do you know of any good activities either here, in DC, or Annapolis, in good or bad weather?

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
The zoo in DC is pretty cool. You can metro there from Branch Ave so you don't have to fight the parking issue.

There is also some museum over on Solomons ... I've not been, but I am sure someone here knows about it.

K

Kizzy

There is also some museum over on Solomons ... I've not been, but I am sure someone here knows about it.

My 4-year old loved it. You can go up in the light house and they have a room where they can touch various items found in the waters here.

SeaRide

Originally posted by IM4Change
My 4-year old loved it. You can go up in the light house and they have a room where they can touch various items found in the waters here.

:yeahthat:
and I love those sea otters!!

How about the Medieval Times @ Arundel Mills ?
www.medievaltimes.com

What's the name of that indoor swimming pool at/near Great Mills HS?

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
The Calvert Marine Museum is OK, otters are cool, but if it is chilly it won't be as enjoyable. They do have some indoor aquarium exhibits as well as the hands on stuff like seashells, navy stuff (real navy, not aviation navy :biggrin:), etc.

Try the Capital Children's Museum if you want to drive all the way up to DC. http://www.ccm.org/

Or, if you are on a budget take her to the farmer's market in Hughesville, she can see the horses, as well as the chickens ducks & sheep (before they become dinner). Little kids love it.

Nanny Pam

Originally posted by jlabsher

Or, if you are on a budget take her to the farmer's market in Hughesville, she can see the horses, as well as the chickens ducks & sheep (before they become dinner). Little kids love it.

My money is on the farmers market, for kids. My grand-daughter would spent the day there.

SeaRide

Other than Chuck-N-Cheese at Waldorf, here's what I found on the 'net.

Port Discovery features three floors of interactive fun for the entire family. Hands-on activities and adventures like Sensation Station, R&D Dream Works, and KidsWorks (urban treehouse). There's even a mini version of KidWorks made especially for toddlers. Call (410) 727-8120 for birthday party packages.

http://www.portdiscovery.org/generalinfo/visitor.html

Little Gym
22237 Shaw Road, Sterling, VA (703) 404-8543

A birthday at The Little Gym includes one hour of age-appropriate games, obstacle courses, gymnastics and other fun activities conducted by a trained Little Gym instructor. Recommended for ages 1-12. Call (703) 404-8543 for party times, prices and other info.

Kid Zone
White Flint Mall, North Bethesda, MD (301) 231-0505
11528 Middlebrook Road, Germantown, MD (301) 540-2424

At the Kid Zone (formerly Discovery Zone), kids can jump, swing, bounce, and most importantly have fun! A variety of party packages and a la carte party items are available.

Jeepers
6000 Greenbelt Road, Greenbelt, MD (301) 982-2444
700 Hungerford Drive, Rockville, MD (301) 340-3308

Bring your party animals to the jungle!!! Jeepers, an indoor amusement park and arcade designed for children ages two to twelve, offers three fun-filled packages. All parties include unlimited rides and soft play, cake, soft drinks and more.
http://www.jeepers.com/

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
All the county parks have pretty good playgrounds and the new swimming pool is open next to Great Mills High School. Most kids like jumping in the water.
If you're cheap, the McDonalds in Leonardtown has a big indoor play area.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
The natural history museum in DC was a hit with my kid when he was about 4, he loves dinosaurs.

K

Kizzy

Originally posted by kwillia
Honestly, seeing one of the newly released movies at the movie theatre in Arundel Mills would be an awesome venture.... it's a really cool theatre. :yay:

"Looney Tunes Back in Action" with Brendan Fraser :blushing: and "The Cat in the Hat" are both playing this weekend.

http://www.theccm.org/index.htm

There is a new children's museum in Annapolis (linked above - but have not been to it so I can't give an opinion (but its only $3 admission and probably less of a hassle than driving into DC).

I went to the Children's Museum in DC about 10 years ago and thought it was junky. And going on the metro, it took a few line changes, and then it was still a long walk. Museum had a lot of broken displays, some poor live donkey (or some sort of animal) in a small pen up on the 3rd floor of the building etc). But hey, maybe its changed since then. Oh and i remember it wasn't even free, you had to pay admission.

My 3 year old likes Ann Marie garden and running around. And since you are in Lusby, there is always the "tire park" - the playground at Calvert Cliffs State Park.

Last edited:

Kirsten

Ok this is just an opinion, I have a 5 nearly 6 year old and 2 2.5 year olds. Most kids would be blissful with a Happy Meal and time in the indoor playscape, especially if she doesn't get to eat out a lot. Now something like what the others are talking about would be cool as well, it will depend on the weather, but anything beyond McDonalds will be icing on the cake and the big thing here is don't overdo it.

My inlaws wanted to cram as much in as possible when we went to visit them in Arizona and it fried the kids 2 days into the trip. Heck they were happy just swimming in the pool and playing mini golf at the hotel. But this is just my opinion.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
All great ideas. I have lots to choose from and I've discovered a few things I didn't even know existed.

Thanks! :yay: