Remember when.....

.... Microsoft Word came on one 1.2 Mb floppy disk?

The first hard drive available in an original IBM PC was 10 MB?

Why the trip down memory lane? I was just rebuilding a laptop, and the MS Office download was 1.4 GB. Wonder what it will be in another 10 years....

Animal

I eat red meat
.... Microsoft Word came on one 1.2 Mb floppy disk?

The first hard drive available in an original IBM PC was 10 MB?

Why the trip down memory lane? I was just rebuilding a laptop, and the MS Office download was 1.4 GB. Wonder what it will be in another 10 years....
I remember when computers used tubes, logic was hardwired, and you programmed with punch-cards.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
My first (real) computer after the Commodore 64 was a 486DX2-66 with a 340 (+/-) mb hard drive. That was somewhere around 1995. :jet:

My first (real) computer after the Commodore 64 was a 486DX2-66 with a 340 (+/-) mb hard drive. That was somewhere around 1995. :jet:

1980. Control Data 1700 pre-processor. Water cooled. 16 K of memory. Took up the floor space of an average living room. Talked to it with a model 17 teletype, one instruction at a time. Manual toggle switches for the IPL (initial program load), and that load came from a punch tape.

That was just the front-end to the Control Data Cyber computer. What a piece of work that thing was....

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
In 1986, stationed at Tyndall AFB, Fla, we worked with Zenith 286 machines, with 20mg hard drives. The modem we used to "talk" to other sections, as well as other fighter alert units was a 28kps model.

Screamingly fast, I tell ya! :lmao:

Jigglepuff

Chin Jiggla!
My first computer was a hand me down 286 (8Mhz), 20Meg HD, 5 1/4 and 3 1/4 floppy. DOS 3.1.

Grew up w/ Commedore 64's and Apple II's in schools.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Before Windows, every command/entry you wanted to insert, had to be entered from the command prompt, like c:/ delete C:/ * . * (that one deleted all files from the C: drive, if I remember)

We had to do that once every 3 months! :lol:

chess

low 5... hi 5......
Before Windows, every command/entry you wanted to insert, had to be entered from the command prompt, like c:/ delete C:/ * . * (that one deleted all files from the C: drive, if I remember)

We had to do that once every 3 months! :lol:

Penn i remember those days !

Severa

Common sense ain't common
My first start on computers was Commodore 64s in 6th grade computer lab.
Took BASIC programming in high school.
I remember when Dad first got Autocad (release 14 IIRC) and it came on a bunch of those 5 1/4" disks.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Gosh, before the Zenith 286 machines arrived at our office, we had monsters with 8088 chips in them - which used (2) 9 or 10 inch drives.

One carried the Microsoft operating software system, and the other one carried your work files/folders!

That goes wa-a-a-y back there! :lmao:

itsbob

I bowl overhand

That was a HUGE HD for back then..

My first was a 286 with a 20MB HD, and I THINK 512k of memory, when you wanted to upgrade memory you had to but a BUNCH of identical chips to put on the board, and memory was $$$$

HD was about the size of a NetBook, but 3 inches thick, and weighed a ton..

1200 Baud Moden.. soon upgraded to 2400 Baud..

Two floppy drives... 5 1/4"...

BBS'

Yeah, those were the days, pre Netscape, pre Internet Explorer..

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
First one I worked on was the navigation computer for Washington Class SSBN submarines. It consisted of two full size equipment cabinets (19' between the rails and 72" high). Ram memory was tiny iron rings with wires running through them in north/south and east/west intersections in each ring. They could be pulsed into different states of magnetism. The main memory was a magnetic drum about 18" high and 6" in diameter, held a big 1 meg. :lol:
No chips, all state of the art transistors
This was in the mid '70s

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
BBS: Is that the symbol for Bulletin Board System?

If so, that was what we used before e-mail was installed on our machines.

You'd log-in to the BBS program, and wait for your user from another office or site, to log-in themselves, and then start your conversation topics.

Multiple users could log-in, and you had something akin to a chat room.

Whew! Stone Age gear, as opposed to what we are using these days.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Whew! Stone Age gear, as opposed to what we are using these days.
First day of the 3 month school on how to operate/repair the honker, it locked up while they were showing it to us. Instructor walked around to the side and kicked the crap out of it and it started back up. I howled with laughter and asked why it took three months to learn how to kick the computer.

Most everything aboard ships today is COTS (commercial off the shelf).