Deputy Going 110 Mph Before Fatal Crash

Katelin

one day the dark will end
From Channel 7 web site.

Bet he is going to get a slap on the wrist.

Anyone here get a speeding ticket for doing 110MPH?

Isnt that an automatic loss of license...red lights, siren or not...
Who is going to have time to hear and see them and have time to respond?

Wonder where he was going that doing 110 would have made a huge time difference instead of doing 80?

Report: Deputy Going 110 Mph Before Fatal Crash
posted 9:33 am Fri September 11, 2009 - PRINCE FREDERICK, Md. from ABC 7 News

An independent investigator says a Calvert County sheriff's deputy was traveling at 110 mph shortly before hitting the car of a Dunkirk teenager who was killed.

An independent investigation by Anne Arundel County Police Cpl. C. Gregory Russell was released Thursday.

The report says Deputy C. Wayne Wells was responding to an emergency domestic violence call with his lights and sirens on. It found that the cruiser slowed to between 83 and 87 mph by the time it hit 18-year-old Rachael Campbell's car. The posted speed limit in that area is 45 mph.

Campbell's car caught fire and she died at the scene.

Calvert County State's Attorney Laura Martin says the speed was unreasonable, but doesn't reach the level of gross negligence necessary for manslaughter charges.

She says any citations would come from the sheriff's office.

foodcritic

From Channel 7 web site.

Wonder where he was going that doing 110 would have made a huge time difference instead of doing 80?

This is a little deceiving. The title implies the deputy hit her doing 110!!
IF you wonder why he was speeding and yet the answer is in your post...for an emergency domestic assault.

per the report he was travelling 85 mph. apparently

This was a tragic event. Why are you so quick to hang the officer??

smilin

BOXER NATION
I had to reread the original article in the Post because it was so misleading.
It never occurred to me that you could outrun a siren. Headlights sure, but not a siren.
What is a "rumbler"? The second deputy had hers turned on, but the first one apparently wasn't equipped with it....

foodcritic

I had to reread the original article in the Post because it was so misleading.
It never occurred to me that you could outrun a siren. Headlights sure, but not a siren.
What is a "rumbler"? The second deputy had hers turned on, but the first one apparently wasn't equipped with it....

Can a car out run a siren? or lights? NOW THAT IS FAST.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"

blacklabman

Yes it CAN out-run a siren. It's called the Doppler effect. Whereby the only people who hear the siren are the ones you've already passed.

Only if the car is traveling faster than Mach 1 (1100 fps at sea level). No car can go that fast.

Time to go back to science class.

Mojo

From Channel 7 web site.

I'm sure the person that was getting beat up would have appreciated him driving that fast. The problem is the area where the U-turn was made, that area needs to be closed off.

glhs837

Power with Control
As for the speed, that info is usually taken from an EVDR, and those record a certain amount of time before airbag deployment. So, most likely, he was at 110 before he initiated braking before impact, and was down to 85 when he hit.

As for outdriving the lights and sirens, its not that your going fater than light, but that you outstrip the possible reaction times of other people. More later, this is just off the top of my head.

I'm sure the person that was getting beat up would have appreciated him driving that fast. The problem is the area where the U-turn was made, that area needs to be closed off.
:yeahthat:
Back in the early 00's, my parents were driving my nephews and were struck by an oncoming vehicle on Rt. 70. Horrendous accident. MSP Trooper hit 120 responding due to reports (inaccurate) of possible fatalities. I am VERY glad he was able to drive that fast.

ImnoMensa

At 110 there isnt much you can do ,but jam on the brakes and pray.

The best trained driver in the world cannot do much more.

Velocity26

As for outdriving the lights and sirens, its not that your going fater than light, but that you outstrip the possible reaction times of other people. More later, this is just off the top of my head.
Correct.

Headlights = Things pop up on you before your mind has the opportunity to properly analyze what you are seeing.

Siren = Same effect sort of. The car comes and goes by so fast you don't have a chance to hear it before it shoots past.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
You cannot possibly understand or comment until you have visited the scene of the accident. The police officer was driving entirely too fast for the conditions of that roadway. He should have known that area (and I am sure he did) and exercised caution. The deceased had no chance.

glhs837

Power with Control
</title> <meta name="keywords" content=""></meta> <meta name="description" content=""></meta> <meta content="" http-equiv="Content-Type"></meta> <style type="text/css"> </style> </head> <body leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" bgcolor="#ffffff" marginheigh

Points out the results of a study of sirens against noises already present.

When the radio volume was raised further (not to maximum), the internal sound level was 90 decibels against the lower penetrating siren intensity of 82 decibels. No siren sound was audible inside the car at a distance of 15 meters. The siren could be heard inside only at a distance of one or two meters separating the vehicles

Was the young girls volume set high? I dont know, but, given the average teens proclivities with a volume knob, that might be a fair assumption.

Now, even at 15 meters, which is about 50 or so feet. At 110, thats 161 feet per second. Which gives the girl about 1/3rd of a second to react. This is not to lay all the balme on the officer, people are responsible for being aware of their surroundings. But the officer is responsible for keeping a reasonable speed for the section of road he's on. If he's topping a rise, and knows theres a cut through just past that, a lower speed for 30 seconds, say 80, might be wise. Hacvent driven poast this section, so I dont know the layout.

jetmonkey

:yeahthat:
Back in the early 00's, my parents were driving my nephews and were struck by an oncoming vehicle on Rt. 70. Horrendous accident. MSP Trooper hit 120 responding due to reports (inaccurate) of possible fatalities. I am VERY glad he was able to drive that fast.

Shouldn't you drive slower if they are dead? :confused:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Who was at fault in this accident? Did the girl turn into the cop or did the cop turn into the girl? As in, had the cop been going 60 or 65, who would have been at fault?

Pushrod

Patriot

What u-turn? The girl was making a left turn into a neighborhood.

And for the earlier poster stating that the article was wrong because the impact speed was in the 80's mph, that is after the officer applied his brakes from the original speed of 110 mph when he probably first spotted the car turning in front of him. IMHO, he was travelling way too fast for that area!

Last edited: