UK Toxic dumping along the Ivory Coast

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
Nevermind

"Following press reportage about dumping off the coast of Africa; Waterson & Hicks, a UK law firm acting for a large London based oil and commodity trader, ordered and received this report into toxic dumping practices by its client along and on the Ivory Coast. The report reveals a number of toxic dumping incidents.

Download pdf at: http://wikileaks.org/wiki/UK_Toxic_dumping_along_the_Ivory_Coast_broke_EU_regulations%3B_confidential_report_to_Waterson_and_Hicks%2C_14_Sep_2006

I though this thread was about Toxic.

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
Not to worry, you never were the brightest bulb on the tree.

But I am the brightest bulb on the porch! What's the matter, mind to dull to get a 500 year old cliche right? Pathetic!

No wonder you copy and paste everything. You have to!:whistle:

Last edited:

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
But I am the brightest bulb on the porch! What's the matter, mind to dull to get a 500 year old cliche right? Pathetic!No wonder you copy and paste everything. You have to!:whistle:

You're right of course, I didn't know there were bulbs 500 years ago. I'll try to do better in the future.

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
You're right of course, I didn't know there were bulbs 500 years ago. I'll try to do better in the future.

Okay. So I embelished a little. It's only a 130 year old cliche. But you better straighten up and fly south. Pull yourself up by your chin straps. A penny saved is worth a bird in the hands.

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
Trafigura offers payout to victims of toxic dump

"The Guardian can reveal evidence today of a massive cover-up by the British oil trader Trafigura, in one of the worst pollution disasters in recent history.

Internal emails show that Trafigura, which yesterday suddenly announced an offer to pay compensation to 31,000 west African victims, was fully aware that its waste dumped in Ivory Coast was so toxic that it was banned in Europe.

Thousands of west Africans besieged local hospitals in 2006, and a number died, after the dumping of hundreds of tonnes of highly toxic oil waste around the country's capital, Abidjan. Official local autopsy reports on 12 alleged victims appeared to show fatal levels of the poisonous gas hydrogen sulphide, one of the waste's lethal byproducts.

Trafigura has been publicly insisting for three years that its waste was routine and harmless. It claims it was "absolutely not dangerous".

It has until now denied compensation claims, and its lawyers repeatedly threatened anyone worldwide who sought to contradict its version. It launched a libel case against BBC Newsnight, forced an alleged correction from the Times, demanded the Guardian delete articles, and yesterday tried to gag journalists in the Netherlands and Norway with legal threats."

More at source: How UK oil company Trafigura tried to cover up African pollution disaster | World news | The Guardian

This is pretty close to the sentiment voiced by Van Jones when he said that white polluters and white environmentalists are “steering” pollution into black communities. Only this is happening in Africa.

Last edited: