Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scanner Terms, FAQ's and Basic Information

I thought St. Mary's stopped using the Conditions on fires when they stopped using the 10 codes. I haven't heard any of them use Engine 31 10-23 Condition 1 for quite some time, with the other units going 10-19, 10-48 or 10-47.

2. 02-28-2010, 02:28 PM

It depends on who's officer on the truck. The terms are still recognized by Fireboard.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any info on Charles' call signs on their radio?

I've figured out what an Adam (Patrol), Adam-Paul (acting sergeant), and Paul (sergeant) are. Traffic Ops is self-explanatory. I think "ID" is the investigative division, and Charles-Ocean is a corrections officer. But I'm a tad stumped on the rest. Clues/Thoughts?

Here's the ones I've observed, and taken guesses at:

Car (no assigned function?)
    David (detective?)
    John (PG liason? Uses 4-digit identifiers, which matches up with PG numbering).
    Robert (School resource officer?)
    Sam (Prison? SWAT?)
    Victor (Vice/Narc?)
    "Though the mills of God grind slowly, yet they grind exceeding small; Though with patience He stands waiting, with exactness grinds He all."

--Friedrich Vón Logau

Quote Originally Posted by Kumba View Post
    Out of curiosity, does anyone have any info on Charles' call signs on their radio?

I've figured out what an Adam (Patrol), Adam-Paul (acting sergeant), and Paul (sergeant) are. Traffic Ops is self-explanatory. I think "ID" is the investigative division, and Charles-Ocean is a corrections officer. But I'm a tad stumped on the rest. Clues/Thoughts?

Here's the ones I've observed, and taken guesses at:

Car (no assigned function?)
    David (detective?)
    John (PG liason? Uses 4-digit identifiers, which matches up with PG numbering).
    Robert (School resource officer?)
    Sam (Prison? SWAT?)
    Victor (Vice/Narc?)

CAR # Higher ranking in department. ie. Car 1 Sheriff Coffey

Quote Originally Posted by mdff21 View Post
    CAR # Higher ranking in department. ie. Car 1 Sheriff Coffey
    Ah, that explains a few things. Does the lower the identifier (like 1xx over 2xx) signify a higher rank, or is Coffey the exception as Car #1 (which I don't think I've picked up on my scanner before).
    "Though the mills of God grind slowly, yet they grind exceeding small; Though with patience He stands waiting, with exactness grinds He all."

--Friedrich Vón Logau

Not really, the numbers are assigned to the individual when hired, with the exception of command staff. They have the lowest numbers and usually 2 digits. The three digits numbers are the numbers used when hired and once the officer retires the number is no longer used. However those that have been there the longest will have lower numbers and most likely have been promoted to a higher rank. There are a few exceptions, some just like to do patrol work and remain at a lower rank.

Quote Originally Posted by mdff21 View Post
    Not really, the numbers are assigned to the individual when hired, with the exception of command staff. They have the lowest numbers and usually 2 digits. The three digits numbers are the numbers used when hired and once the officer retires the number is no longer used. However those that have been there the longest will have lower numbers and most likely have been promoted to a higher rank. There are a few exceptions, some just like to do patrol work and remain at a lower rank.
    Ah, that's good info. I've only ever heard one two-digit identifier before, and that was a "Charles-Ocean" one, which I assumed to be a corrections officer. I frequently heard it when they were entering/leaving the county and going straight to the detention center.

--Friedrich Vón Logau

Found this while surfing...

St. Mary's 911 Calls

Charles County Rebanding & Radioreference.com

Greetings all,since the rebanding in Charles I've noticed that it's dissapeared on RadioReference.com. Anyone have any insight on that? I had to have my RadioShack Pro96 rebanded but that wasn't a problem.
    Happy scanning!

Quote Originally Posted by mike2u View Post
    Greetings all,since the rebanding in Charles I've noticed that it's dissapeared on RadioReference.com. Anyone have any insight on that? I had to have my RadioShack Pro96 rebanded but that wasn't a problem.
    Happy scanning!
    They're still there:
    Charles County Trunking System, La Plata, Maryland - Scanner Frequencies

However, unless you have a Uniden HomePatrol-1 (which gets its updates from RR), you'll have to program in a custom band plan in order for the scanner to properly track the new frequencies. Info on that is here:
    http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Rebanding

--Friedrich Vón Logau

Members who have read this thread: 5