Spanking harms kids. bahahhaha

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
HAHAHA. Get a grip people. The findings on this study are small and most importantly? it shows no causal link whatsoever. I tried to find the actual study to read it for myself...but of course it is always tough to find..especially since I cant access my university journal search anymore..but I am willing to bet..that like all of the studies I have ACTUALLY read it is more media interpretation than fact. some report findings even when the study itself shows that the effects could be due to chance alone..but they report it as a "trend" rather than actual significant results to get around this. The type of analsysis that is done in these studies is simplistic and cannot by definition ever ever make a causal link between two things..only say that they are related somehow..the media however makes a causal link that scientfically does not exist.

as for what is reported here..I believe that 1 year olds understand punishment as well as wrong and right..you may have to show them which is which..but they understand approved and disapproved of behaviors. Im not sure what people reported as "spanking" but a one year old most likely does not need to be spanked..and that probably should be avoided... but ridiculous headlines like this need to stop..they are scientifically unproven.

Spanking detrimental to children, study says - CNN.com

TurboK9

"A new study of more than 2,500 toddlers from low-income families"

WTF! That makes the study worthless. You can't focus on a single demographic and apply your results broad spectrum, for one. And how about the adverse effects of raising a child with NO discipline? LOL. Or the ill effect of not 'popping' your kid when the fail to listen in a dangerous situation?

ROFL.

I wonder how much money they got to perform a worthless, contaminated study.

lisa8439

"A new study of more than 2,500 toddlers from low-income families"

If this is the demographic that they used, I am going to guess that the study is probably correct.. because I have seen MANY kids around here in stores get absolutely WHACKED by their parents. I don't think they are talking about a little smack on the butt here - they are probably talking about repeated hard whacks to a kid.

If they had done a more wide spectrum study maybe they would have found something different... I don't think spanking is detrimental if you are talking about a smack on the butt when a kid does something dangerous or wrong. But I imagine that study found kids that were repeatedly hit and found THAT detrimental.

I was in Target the other day and there was a mom in there with two kids - one was about 2, the other one was older, maybe 6. They were both in the cart and the two year old stood up - the mom smacked him hard across the face and told him to sit is @ss down. Then the six year old got out when the mom had stopped the cart - the mom went off and repeatedly smacked the child while she was screaming obsenities at her. It was awful - another lady next to me just looked at me and we shook our heads.

It's so hard to get involved in someone else's parenting - and calling CPS is not always the answer.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
My father only had to give me and my brothers one good ass whooping growing up! This prevented us from a lifetime of AD/HD medication and other social problems throughout our upbringing!

lisa8439

My father only had to give me and my brothers one good ass whooping growing up! This prevented us from a lifetime of AD/HD medication and other social problems throughout our upbringing!

I had one good one too - I wasn't that old, maybe 5 or so... but one was ALL it took for me to behave for the rest of the time that I was under my father's roof!

Now my brother... I can remember my father spanking him and my brother would actually LAUGH and tell my dad that 'you can't bother me' - oh my goodness... needless to say he got spanked a lot more than once! My brother turned out to be a great guy... you'd never know that he was a hell raiser from birth to about 17 years old (he shaped up his last year of high school and excelled from there on out)

I agree that spanking doesn't 'hurt' kids - BUT I really think that the demographic that they studied does not 'spank' like other demographics... they really 'beat' instead. From what I have seen just out in the stores, some of those kids are probably harmed more because they get beat for every little thing - if they spill something on their shirt, they get beaten and cussed at. It's really sad...

P

PDeverit

Child buttock-battering vs. DISCIPLINE:

Child buttock-battering for the purpose of gaining compliance is nothing more than an inherited bad habit.

Its a good idea for people to take a look at what they are doing, and learn how to DISCIPLINE instead of hit.

I think the reason why television shows like "Supernanny" and "Dr. Phil" are so popular is because that is precisely what many (not all) people are trying to do.

There are several reasons why child bottom-slapping isn't a good idea. Here are some good, quick reads recommended by professionals:

Plain Talk About Spanking
by Jordan Riak,

The Sexual Dangers of Spanking Children
by Tom Johnson,

NO VITAL ORGANS THERE, So They Say
by Lesli Taylor M.D. and Adah Maurer Ph.D.

Most compelling of all reasons to abandon this worst of all bad habits is the fact that buttock-battering can be unintentional sexual abuse for some children. There is an abundance of educational resources, testimony, documentation, etc available on the subject that can easily be found by doing a little research with the recommended reads-visit main.

Just a handful of those helping to raise awareness of why child bottom-slapping isn't a good idea:

American Academy of Pediatrics,
American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry,
Center For Effective Discipline,
PsycHealth Ltd Behavioral Health Professionals,
Churches' Network For Non-Violence,
Nobel Peace Prize recipient Archbishop Desmond Tutu,
Parenting In Jesus' Footsteps,
Global Initiative To End All Corporal Punishment of Children,
United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.

In 26 countries, child corporal punishment is prohibited by law (with more in process). In fact, the US was the only UN member that did not ratify the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Pete

Repete
Child buttock-battering for the purpose of gaining compliance is nothing more than an inherited bad habit.

Its a good idea for people to take a look at what they are doing, and learn how to DISCIPLINE instead of hit.

I think the reason why television shows like "Supernanny" and "Dr. Phil" are so popular is because that is precisely what many (not all) people are trying to do.

There are several reasons why child bottom-slapping isn't a good idea. Here are some good, quick reads recommended by professionals:

by Jordan Riak,

by Tom Johnson,

Most compelling of all reasons to abandon this worst of all bad habits is the fact that buttock-battering can be unintentional sexual abuse for some children. There is an abundance of educational resources, testimony, documentation, etc available on the subject that can easily be found by doing a little research with the recommended reads-visit main.

Just a handful of those helping to raise awareness of why child bottom-slapping isn't a good idea:

In 26 countries, child corporal punishment is prohibited by law (with more in process). In fact, the US was the only UN member that did not ratify the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Could you list the 26 countries please? TIA

Toxick

Splat

Most compelling of all reasons to abandon this worst of all bad habits is the fact that buttock-battering can be unintentional sexual abuse for some children.

I completely agree that child buttock-battering is socially unacceptable and the sign of a sick mind.

Adult buttock-battering, however, is fun, different, and a great way to spice up a bored couple's rutting pattern.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer

by Jordan Riak,

by Tom Johnson,

I hope you are joking. Because if you aren't then I hope you dont have/ never have children. They will only become ADHD/bipolar/oppositional defiant...whatever "diagnosis" they have for children of weak-willed parents. Spanking is sexual abuse? really? what is a hug then? or a bath? or a back rub going to sleep?
If you dont agree with spanking, fine. Then dont do it..there are other ways to get your point across..but to label it sexual abuse is ridiculous and probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

muttdog

My parents beat my arse when I was young, Im not depressed, murder, thief, rapist, molester, or any number of other things people blame on spanking. I did something wrong, got a spankng and learned real fast not to do it again.

ylexot

Super Genius
Reminds me of a Denis Leary quote...
"My parents used to beat the living #### out of me, okay? And I'm glad they did, and I'm looking forward to beating the #### out of my kids!" :yay:

BOP

by Jordan Riak,

by Tom Johnson,

Yep, that whole do-not-spank thing is working well, the world over. :rolleyes:

Practiced your duck-and-cover lately? Might want to bone up on that.