WaWa Scanning Drivers Licenses?

SugarNSpikes

I went to buy cigarettes for my mom last night and after being patronized, the woman asked me to physically hand her my drivers license. I figured that she was unable to read my birthdate or had poor vision or something so I handed it to her. She then scanned it and after two minutes of waiting and her looking at it "more closely", finally allowed me to purchase them. I asked them why and she said that she was "checking the validity" of my license and it was required by law.

Is this legal? I've bought them at the WaWa in Waldorf and several other places and have never had my license actually scanned. Call me overly-worried but I don't want my identity stolen over some stupid cigarettes that my mom just had to have.

Otter

Nothing to see here
I went to buy cigarettes for my mom last night and after being patronized, the woman asked me to physically hand her my drivers license. I figured that she was unable to read my birthdate or had poor vision or something so I handed it to her. She then scanned it and after two minutes of waiting and her looking at it "more closely", finally allowed me to purchase them. I asked them why and she said that she was "checking the validity" of my license and it was required by law.

Is this legal? I've bought them at the WaWa in Waldorf and several other places and have never had my license actually scanned. Call me overly-worried but I don't want my identity stolen over some stupid cigarettes that my mom just had to have.

Just another part of the ObamaScan bill recently enacted, you'll get your papers in the mail now and will be able to produce them when asked by the SS.

bohman

Liquor stores have had those scanners for years now, though I rarely see them use it anymore. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Try buying a box of Claritin-D these days... you can't do so until after they've scanned your DL and get approval from the gov't. :cussing:

L

luckystar

So what if you don't have a DL or Maryland ID? For example, just a military ID?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The state is NOT ####ing around with this cigs to minors business. It is THE most important thing in the world and if a clerk gets busted selling to a minor, they will be thrown in the dungeon where they have to listen to Obama speeches for eternity.

It's like hell, only worse.

Now do you really want that to happen to some poor WaWa clerk? :tap:

R

retiredweaxman

I run a Sunoco c-store here in PIttsburgh and know of the issue you are talking about. In PA, our on-line lottery machines are set up to scan driver's licenses to ensure they are not fake. By scanning the bar cose on the back, a message will appear that states, "25 years and 256 days" (for example).

I am also forced to ID anyone that appears to be under the age of 30 in order to buy smokes. We are routinely checked by the Company, the County and the State via monthly inspections. If any of my people fail any 2 inspections within a year, they can and will be dismissed.

If my store fails 2 state inspections within a year, my store can lose its tobacco license and I can be personally fined 10k dollars. Needless to say, I would also lose my job. All this even though I did not sell smokes to anyone.

Sure, it is a PITA - but the ramifications of not doing what we have been told to do are pretty severe.

Just for a minute, put yourself in the Cashier's shoes. He/she is getting paid a little above minimum wage to stand on their feet for 6-8 hours in a shift. Some 19 year old punk gets out of their car and walks in the store to buy smokes. The punk gets ID'd and, of course, does not have ID - even though they are driving (where is their license?) The punk then raises a fit, dropping F bombs at the poor cashier.

So, if someone IDs you, it is something they do not want to do, but have to do. Please take it as a compliment that someone thinks you are under the age of 30. Once the Cashier gets to know you, they do not have to check ID all the time.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!

It's a way for the Government to know who to tax!!!

R

retiredweaxman

So what if you don't have a DL or Maryland ID? For example, just a military ID?

There are acceptable forms of ID. Any state or Federal issued ID with photo are fine. For example, any state's driver's license, passport, military ID are all acceptable.

IDs that are not accepted are student or school IDs, birth certificates (no photo), social security cards, etc.

The state is NOT ####ing around with this cigs to minors business. It is THE most important thing in the world and if a clerk gets busted selling to a minor, they will be thrown in the dungeon where they have to listen to Obama speeches for eternity.

It's like hell, only worse.

Now do you really want that to happen to some poor WaWa clerk? :tap:
Holy crap...:shocking: They don't only scan my license to verify I'm old enough to buy Claritin-D... but also to limit how much I buy in a 30 day period... you don't think they will start counting ciggies consumed in a 30 day period now do you...:eyebrow:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I am also forced to ID anyone that appears to be under the age of 30 in order to buy smokes.

I get IDed for cigarettes all the time, if you can believe that. Hell, I have kids who are old enough to buy cigs.

One gal says, "Yeah, I have to ID anyone under 30." I said, "I'm not under 30 - I'm 45." She rolls her eyes, "Well, how do I know that unless I ID you???"

:lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Holy crap...:shocking: They don't only scan my license to verify I'm old enough to buy Claritin-D... but also to limit how much I buy in a 30 day period... you don't think they will start counting ciggies consumed in a 30 day period now do you...:eyebrow:

What you do is get your non-allergic friends to stockpile for you. Then you can start a meth lab and the government will never suspect.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
What you do is get your non-allergic friends to stockpile for you. Then you can start a meth lab and the government will never suspect.
How would someone - anyone - start up a meth lab? What kind of materials are needed, what type of equipment, and how would I (ummmmm, someone!) establish a realiable customer base? What do you estimate the start-up costs to be?

I'm talking hypothetically, of course.

How would someone - anyone - start up a meth lab? What kind of materials are needed, what type of equipment, and how would I (ummmmm, someone!) establish a realiable customer base? What do you estimate the start-up costs to be?

I'm talking hypothetically, of course.

Well, I'm guessing you... I mean someone will be wanting to hit up the Heavy Hitters auction when it comes around.

Otter

Nothing to see here
I get IDed for cigarettes all the time, if you can believe that. Hell, I have kids who are old enough to buy cigs.

One gal says, "Yeah, I have to ID anyone under 30." I said, "I'm not under 30 - I'm 45." She rolls her eyes, "Well, how do I know that unless I ID you???"

:lol:

you lie