Anti-Klan crusader dies at 88....

Nonno

Habari Na Mijeldi
"W. Horace Carter, the founding publisher of a small-town North Carolina newspaper that won a Pulitzer Prize in 1953 for his reporting on and editorials against the Ku Klux Klan, died yesterday in Wilmington, N.C. following a heart attack. He was 88.

In 1950, after witnessing a Ku Klux Klan motorcade drive through Tabor City, Carter began reporting on and editorializing against the white-supremacist terrorist group, which at the time was resisting the growing Civil Rights Movement."

"Three years and 130 stories later, the Tabor City Tribune became the first weekly newspaper to win the Pulitzer Prize for Meritorious Public Service for its work on the Klan. It shared the award with the News Reporter in nearby Whiteville, N.C. under editor Willard Cole, who along with Carter received numerous threats.

Their crusade helped helped lead to the convictions of 254 Klansmen, with 62 sent to prison or fined, the Wilmington (N.C.) Star-News reports."

More at source: ISS - Publisher of N.C. newspaper that won historic Pulitzer for anti-Klan crusade dies

Also interesting: The Carter-Klan Documentary Project | Timeline

Last edited:

TurboK9

Not that it matters, but wasn't he a Republican? I know his daughter is... Funny, I thought we were all racists... ah, well!

Rest in peace, Horace.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Nonno there is a strong possibility you may be fined by the DU for a positive story... :coffee:

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
I want admin to add this emoticon.

Attachments

• ANI KKK gotcha.gif
    ANI KKK gotcha.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 51