Say goodbye to your Verizon landline!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I have yet to convince myself to cut my At&t cord. :frown:

I'm sitting here wondering why in the hell I even have hard wired business phones. The only thing I do with it that I can't do with the cell is fax out. I get faxes in now on the computer. :shrug:

bcp

In My Opinion
When I had a tree drop over all my lines a few years back, Verizon refused to put the phone back on the old copper lines, instead they ran it into the FIOS.

I did not really want this. the reason is that if for any reason the FIOS goes out, or I lose power at the house for anything longer than a few hours, my phone is dead.
with the wires, you never had to worry about your electric at the home in order to use the phone.

I'm sitting here wondering why in the hell I even have hard wired business phones. The only thing I do with it that I can't do with the cell is fax out. I get faxes in now on the computer. :shrug:

I've been a holdout because I don't trust wireless service to remain available in a time of need. (Think 9/11 when all circuits were busy for hours on end or think satellite failure or the dreaded sun spots...:jameo:) And 911 will not know where to find you automatically like they would should the call be made from a land line... and my alarm system is tied into my phone...:jameo:

bcp

In My Opinion
My Xerox fax here at work can fax out to E-Mail and can recieve from E-Mail.
so you are right, that and a cell phone and there is no need for a wire.

bcp

In My Opinion
I've been a holdout because I don't trust wireless service to remain available in a time of need. (Think 9/11 when all circuits were busy for hours on end or think satellite failure or the dreaded sun spots...:jameo:) And 911 will not know where to find you automatically like they would should the call be made from a land line... and my alarm system is tied into my phone...:jameo:
Land line uses satellite transmission now instead of running the wires all around the world, so there is little difference in that respect.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Land line uses satellite transmission now instead of running the wires all around the world, so there is little difference in that respect.

Pretty sure a call from Lex Park to Waldorf will be on the copper

acommondisaster

I've hung onto the landline for several reasons. It's there when circuits are busy, it's there when the power goes out and privacy issues. Cell phone calls can too easily be intercepted or listened to, and I won't give out credit card info or other types of information on anything but a corded phone.

oldman

Lobster Land
Verizon landline won't go away. They get my $25 each month which should keep them in the black. Besides, it's my only means to utilize my dial-up internet service.

belvak

Happy Camper

:yeahthat: Plus, most of my house seems to be a dead cell zone. Have to stand in the foyer or out in the driveway most of the time to even get a signal!

bcp

In My Opinion
Pretty sure a call from Lex Park to Waldorf will be on the copper
Im pretty sure you are correct. I was thinking like cross country and such.

but, my alarm is set up on cell. so if the power is cut, or the phone line is cut, I still have the alarm calling out on battery power.

acommondisaster

:yeahthat: Plus, most of my house seems to be a dead cell zone. Have to stand in the foyer or out in the driveway most of the time to even get a signal!

I have that same problem - a small square in the garage that gets coverage, if you keep your head tilted "just so". Apparently if I want to dump my service, they'll let me out of it without charging - but I think that other cell services have even less coverage here.

tazzman

I have to same problem. If you stand on the front porch in one corner, you have cell service. Wish Verizon would put up more towers for those of us that live in the country.

E

EmptyTimCup

I hung up on a personal land line nearly three years ago.

cell service is spotty when I am .....

must be on an IRON Deposit

I would love to dump the land lines ..... my BB will connect through my wireless when I get home .... so that is no longer an Issue, but I am not announcing that @ work .... :whistle:

E

EmptyTimCup

When I had a tree drop over all my lines a few years back, Verizon refused to put the phone back on the old copper lines, instead they ran it into the FIOS.

I did not really want this. the reason is that if for any reason the FIOS goes out, or I lose power at the house for anything longer than a few hours, my phone is dead.
with the wires, you never had to worry about your electric at the home in order to use the phone.

put in a really big UPS