Historic U.S. bullet shortage

BuddyLee

Football addict
NEW ORLEANS – Bullet-makers are working around the clock, seven days a week, and still can't keep up with the nation's demand for ammunition.

Shooting ranges, gun dealers and bullet manufacturers say they have never seen such shortages. Bullets, especially for handguns, have been scarce for months because gun enthusiasts are stocking up on ammo, in part because they fear President Barack Obama and the Democratic-controlled Congress will pass antigun legislation — even though nothing specific has been proposed and the president last month signed a law allowing people to carry loaded guns in national parks.

Gun sales spiked when it became clear Obama would be elected a year ago and purchases continued to rise in his first few months of office. The FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System reported that 6.1 million background checks for gun sales were issued from January to May, an increase of 25.6 percent from the same period the year before.

"That is going to cause an upswing in ammunition sales," said Larry Keane, senior vice president of the National Shooting Sports Foundation, a trade association representing about 5,000 members. "Without bullets a gun is just a paper weight."

The shortage for sportsmen is different than the scarcity of ammo for some police forces earlier this year, a dearth fueled by an increase in ammo use by the military in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"We are working overtime and still can't keep up with the demand," said Al Russo, spokesman for North Carolina-based Remington Arms Company, which makes bullets for rifles, handguns and shotguns. "We've had to add a fourth shift and go 24-7. It's a phenomenon that I have not seen before in my 30 years in the business."

America armed, but guns not necessarily loaded - Yahoo! News

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
It's cheaper to buy a bullet and go hunting than it is to go the grocery store, especially if someone has lost their job during this difficult economic time.

ImnoMensa

It's cheaper to buy a bullet and go hunting than it is to go the grocery store, especially if someone has lost their job during this difficult economic time.

The way things are going under the Obama Regime there will probably be an urgent call for more ammunition for a long time.

Pushrod

Patriot
I've been wanting to shoot IDPA the past couple of months, but have been unable to because of lack of affordable target ammo. I keep waiting patiently for supply to catch back up to demand!

Bonehead

I've been wanting to shoot IDPA the past couple of months, but have been unable to because of lack of affordable target ammo. I keep waiting patiently for supply to catch back up to demand!

You will be waiting a while I am afraid. and IDPA :high5:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
This was happening before Obama and it has just gotten worse since, .223 and 5.56 are in short supply everywhere and it is because of several reasons. 1. Military demand 2. Most PD's now use AR-15's for their patrol carbines and most PD's now have a patrol rifle program 3. The AR-15 is the most popular rifle in the civilian world right now too, and there are certain people that hoard ammo... Although I personally don't know any.:whistle:

Then in general people are worried about some radical left powers that have got control right now in our country and rightfully so. IMO.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
ammoman.com.....

And :buddies: for IDPA.

I havent checked in a while, but is walmart out of the winchester white box ammo?

I think afforable is a key word here... Ammoman has never personally done me wrong but Eric has pissed off alot of people over the past few years with shady business practices... As always buyer beware.