Another traffic regulation question

BernieP

Resident PIA
no, not texting or cell phone related
And it's not Agape
Nor is it a call out to some bad driver.

Rather a question: Scenario, while ther road has a wide shoulder and a bike/pedistrian path painted, Mr. Spandex insists on riding in the travel lane.

As far as I know he's got that "right".
Now as a vehicle overtaking this slow moving spandex wearing road hog, can you pass them if the road has a double yellow line?

slaphappynmd

And it's not Agape

Rather a question: Scenario, while ther road has a wide shoulder and a bike/pedistrian path painted, Mr. Spandex insists on riding in the travel lane.

Now as a vehicle overtaking this slow moving spandex wearing road hog, can you pass them if the road has a double yellow line?

Yes you can.

Even though they may have that "right" they are causing a hazard by traveling way below the speed limit. They are to be treated as a regular car,truck, etc. and must obey all the same laws. Especially when they have a lane designated for them.

66Thought

Brain Food - RU Starving?
Not sure if it is against law, but I sure a heck would pass Mr. Spandex. Unless you want to get a good look at some glutes working.

Nucklesack

Yes you can.

Even though they may have that "right" they are causing a hazard by traveling way below the speed limit. They are to be treated as a regular car,truck, etc. and must obey all the same laws. Especially when they have a lane designated for them.

On the standard road way (one without a bike lane) if there is a double solid yellow line then Legally you can not, the same applies to the Ammish/Mennonite.

People, including Police, do this safely but technically its illegal. Same as crossing the solid white line and passing a left turning vehicle on the shoulder

foodcritic

On the standard road way (one without a bike lane) if there is a double solid yellow line then Legally you can not, the same applies to the Ammish/Mennonite.

People, including Police, do this safely but technically its illegal. Same as crossing the solid white line and passing a left turning vehicle on the shoulder

:lmao::lmao: ignorance is bliss

DEEKAYPEE8569

Yes you can.

It's something of a safety/liability issue. YES, you can SAFELY pass them if there is no danger of oncoming traffic. Just make DOUBLE-D*MN-SURE nothing is headed toward you.
THIS IS WHY I don't understand why cyclists must travel WITH THE FLOW of traffic vice AGAINST it. If <I> was on a bicycle on the highway and something was gonna hit me, I'd want to see it coming. At least I could try to avoid it. See my point?

L

Localboy

And it's not Agape

If there is a smooth bicycle lane or shoulder the bicycle operator must ride in that lane. He can be charged with Maryland traffic law 21 1205.1b1 Riding bicycle on roadway where smooth bike lane/shoulder is available Fine $ 40.00. There are exceptions for leaving the shoulder or bike lane. That would be to pass a slower bike, avoid a hazardous condition or debris, when preparing for a left turn at intersection or private driveway, or when the bike lane is overlaid with a turn or merge lane or other markings that break the continuity of the bike lane or shoulder. Section 21 1205.1b2 deals with how they must exit the bike lane or shoulder.