Verizon Fios

I live in a neighborhood that is just beginning to have Verizon FIOS cable installed. I am wondering if neighborhoods that have already the fiber cable installed had their property trashed by the installers.The first thing is the Miss Utility people came and sprayed orange, blue and white paint in huge quantities. Spraying on grass does not matter because it will eventually grow and be mowed, but the streets look like giant graffiti walls and they have no intention of returning to remove after completed. additionally they cut huge holes in the middle of yards and throw a little bit of grass seed on it and leave it looking like crap. Grass that they put down is not even they same type so looks totally ridiculous. They also have these huge metal plates (assuming they are some type of cover)right in the middle of yards.I am just asking if FIOS has been installed in your neighborhood had the same type of horrendous mess left behind.I do not intend to use FIOS, so I am not going to have my property trashed. **Note: There is no right of way through my property.

Last edited:

Lexib_

Blah.. Blah...Blah
They won't becoming to St. Marys until 2012. That's when their agreement with metrocast ends. Thats straight from Verizon.

morningbell

hmmmmmm
I live in a neighborhood that is just beginning to have Verizon FIOS cable installed. I am wondering if neighborhoods that have already the fiber cable installed had their property trashed by the installers.The first thing is the Miss Utility people came and sprayed orange, blue and white paint in huge quantities. Spraying on grass does not matter because it will eventually grow and be mowed, but the streets look like giant graffiti walls and they have no intention of returning to remove after completed. additionally they cut huge holes in the middle of yards and throw a little bit of grass seed on it and leave it looking like crap. Grass that they put down is not even they same type so looks totally ridiculous. They also have these huge metal plates (assuming they are some type of cover)right in the middle of yards.I am just asking if FIOS has been installed in your neighborhood had the same type of horrendous mess left behind.I do not intend to use FIOS, so I am not going to have my property trashed. **Note: There is no right of way through my property.

I hate to tell you this but metrocast does the SAME thing with the paint and the grass.... and they leave it there for WEEKS. They came out yesterday and I thought that they were finally going to finish but they just burried the neighbor's cables and it was just in their brick planter. They don't do crap each time they come out. I have 3 more sections to be finished about 40ft, 15 ft and 6 ft.... this has been going on for a month and a half.

Another bad thing about Verizon FIOS and DSL is that they are blocking non Verizon email address. I don't know how they are able to do this but I asked again if that is true and yes it is.
Really it's not a bad thing that FIOS isn't down here in St. Mary's.

SoMdDude

Another bad thing about Verizon FIOS and DSL is that they are blocking non Verizon email address. I don't know how they are able to do this but I asked again if that is true and yes it is.
Really it's not a bad thing that FIOS isn't down here in St. Mary's.

What emails are they blocking?

I've had FIOS since August 2nd, and i was able to keep checking my comcast email until comcast finally turned everything off about 2 weeks after i canceled service. I can also access my hotmail account via outlook express. My internet is FIOS. So im not sure what you are getting at (shrug)

And to the OP.. where they dug my yard up is looking good because i watered and seeded it myself.. if you didnt water what they put down after they dug your yard up, guess what, it isnt going to grow :) I can hardly tell where they dug now. All of the markings on the road will slowly vanish over time. They have to do it so contractors know where gas (blue) and cable lines(orange) or anything else is. I think I had white markings in my yard as well, not sure if thats just power or not (all the power and phone lines in my neighborhood are under ground, no poles)

Those plates arent metal, they are hard plastic, and they need them to get to all of the fiber hubs/splitters, go take one off and look inside, its just a box with like 10 fiber lines plugged into it.

morningbell

hmmmmmm
What emails are they blocking?

I've had FIOS since August 2nd, and i was able to keep checking my comcast email until comcast finally turned everything off about 2 weeks after i canceled service. I can also access my hotmail account via outlook express. My internet is FIOS. So im not sure what you are getting at (shrug)

And to the OP.. where they dug my yard up is looking good because i watered and seeded it myself.. if you didnt water what they put down after they dug your yard up, guess what, it isnt going to grow :) I can hardly tell where they dug now. All of the markings on the road will slowly vanish over time. They have to do it so contractors know where gas (blue) and cable lines(orange) or anything else is. I think I had white markings in my yard as well, not sure if thats just power or not (all the power and phone lines in my neighborhood are under ground, no poles)

Those plates arent metal, they are hard plastic, and they need them to get to all of the fiber hubs/splitters, go take one off and look inside, its just a box with like 10 fiber lines plugged into it.

I should have read what I wrote.... I think it was premature postation :lmao:
A friend of mine who owns a business was having a problem communicating with her accountant. He (the accountant) was on the phone with FIOS customer care for 3 hours before they broke down a finally admitted that they were phasing out emails from anyone other than Verizon customers. I didn't think it sounded right when I heard it either. I'm going to ask her again and have her explain why..... She said they told him that they were doing this slowly so if you're getting emails they maybe they haven't gotten to you yet. I asked how this is legal and she said she isn't sure.

I'll ask again and see if she had gotten a solution.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I say bring on FIOS! If I can get same set up as my brother for less than what I'm paying now for HDTV, internet and phone service; hell I'd rent the trencher AND buy the spray paint.

I don't see how Verizon can phase out any web based email. Maybe your comcast or metrocast but hotmail? Sounds fishy to me.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm not having any luck finding out which is better, cable or fiber optic. I was under the impression that a cable maxes out around 10 mbs and that's all it can handle and that fiver optic can carry 10 times that?

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
They have to do it so contractors know where gas (blue) and cable lines(orange) or anything else is. I think I had white markings in my yard as well, not sure if thats just power or not (all the power and phone lines in my neighborhood are under ground, no poles)
Red= Power
Orange= phone/cable
Blue= water
Yellow= gas
green= sewer
The cover is plastic or can be concrete but the box itself is concrete.
I'm not having any luck finding out which is better, cable or fiber optic. I was under the impression that a cable maxes out around 10 mbs and that's all it can handle and that fiver optic can carry 10 times that?
Fiber optic cable is always better than copper for many reasons:
Bandwidth- being able to carry more information than copper/coax. Can you understand 100 Terahertz? Fiber Optic Tutorial - Fiber: fiber specifications, multimode fiber, singlemode fiber, fiber optic cable, fiber optic cable assembly, custom cable assembly.
Unaffected by electromagnetic influence- no hum in the line when power surges happen or it rains.
It can carry a signal for MANY miles without the need for amplification.
Other reasons can be found but these are the most important ones.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Red
Fiber optic cable is always better than copper for many reasons:
Bandwidth- being able to carry more information than copper/coax. Can you understand 100 Tetrahertz? Fiber Optic Tutorial - Fiber: fiber specifications, multimode fiber, singlemode fiber, fiber optic cable, fiber optic cable assembly, custom cable assembly.
Unaffected by electromagnetic influence- no hum in the line when power surges happen or it rains.
It can carry a signal for MANY miles without the need for amplification.
Other reasons can be found but these are the most important ones.

:buddies:

Thank you.

Lexib_

Blah.. Blah...Blah
Whoever told you that is F.O.S.

Verizon was at my place fixing the phone lines. He said that due to to the franchise agreement with METROCAST they had to wait till that expired. Until that is over they cant bring FIOS into St. Mary's county. So do you know of anyone in St. Mary's who has FIOS?

bfncbs1

Can you ping me now? Good
Verizon was at my place fixing the phone lines. He said that due to to the franchise agreement with METROCAST they had to wait till that expired. Until that is over they cant bring FIOS into St. Mary's county. So do you know of anyone in St. Mary's who has FIOS?

FiOS and Metrocast can co-exist under seperate franchise agreements. Its just a matter of your County commissioners and Cable advisory board working out a agreement with Verizon. It happens this way in every county. Charles is shared by Comcast and Verizon. It boils down to when Verizon decides it's time and what the county wants in return($$$).

Joseph Daniels would be the contact at VZ for FiOS. I will know shortly if St. Mary's is on the list for next year. We generally schedule our next years deployment plans in September but this year they have been pushed out till November.

bfncbs1

The only thing VZ blocks is port 25......

Cletus_Vandam

Not to rain on your parade, but the property you are referring to really isn't yours. While you might mow it, seed it, fertilize it, etc. If you look at the property line boundary information, you'll see that the PL is set back from the center line of the road a greater distance then the edge of paving. The legal reasoning for this is simple. It permits the County and local utility companies to install.... you guessed it utilities; like FIOS, without obtaining your approval or requiring an easement.

If you have a zoysia grass yard other something more "exotic" then the $50 per 50-pound bag of seed that the utility company is using to patch your yard, the best thing to do is supplement what they put down, or wait a year or two.

The marking of utilities is a very common thing, especially in Chuck and Calvert County, were everything is buried. For whatever reason, a lot of St. Mary's County still has overhead lines in a lot of places. The lines in the street will dissipate over time.

:cds:IMO, I think you just need to take deep breath and relax. I've seen the work these guys do in a lot of areas and I don't see anything worth complaining over.

The "boxes" you see are required at regular intervals to pull and service the cable. No different then the cable TV transformers, the ground mounted transformers and the telephone pylons that you also see at regular intervals. Again, IMO, the boxes that are set flush with grade are a ton more user friendly when mowing; considering the transformers and telephone pylons require you to use a weed eater.

If you really think you have a problem, reach out to a couple of neighbors and gauge their level of satisfaction / dissatisfaction. If they are PO'd like you, someone needs to call Verizion. If no one else has issues; well, you know then you'll be fighting this one on your own.

vince77

FIOS isn't really any cheaper than Comcast for bundled services. Internet speed and phone service seems about the same. The one big difference I've found is the picture quality on non HD TV's is much clearer with FIOS.

sockgirl77

agreed ^^

When FiOs does come it will only service highly populated areas. People in Ridge, the 7th, and 2nd district most likely will never see it. MetroCast has been doing fiber to the home in alot of areas for over a year now. In most cases if you are building in a new devolpment in St. Mary's most likely fiber to the home is available.

chess

low 5... hi 5......
When FiOs does come it will only service highly populated areas. People in Ridge, the 7th, and 2nd district most likely will never see it. MetroCast has been doing fiber to the home in alot of areas for over a year now. In most cases if you are building in a new devolpment in St. Mary's most likely fiber to the home is available.

places it will be at iMO is wildewood, town creek, esperanza, hickory hills area, i agree with you on that...

bfncbs1

places it will be at iMO is wildewood, town creek, esperanza, hickory hills area, i agree with you on that...

Actually they build out everywhere within 11 miles of the CO. It just depends on where the central office is located. The object is to replace as much copper as possible and the ultimate goal is to get everyone on Fiber served from that CO.

Until VZ approves a new PON card that can extend the length to 25 miles some areas will be missed initially but will see fiber at some point.

SoMdDude

FIOS isn't really any cheaper than Comcast for bundled services. Internet speed and phone service seems about the same. The one big difference I've found is the picture quality on non HD TV's is much clearer with FIOS.

I beg to differ

I had comcast for 4½ years, internet and TV, and on average I paid $200 per month, and i didnt even have any movie channels!! Tack on about 40 per month for our landline phone and we paid $240 per month (avr) for comcast and landline phone.

Now with FIOS, for the 1st year, we are paying $135/month! (internet/tv/phone) And it will jump up to 170 a month after that for our service and cable boxes, and we have HBO

Saving 110/month for a year = $1300 saving, for me, then after that its still cheaper than what I paid for comcast by $70/month. Its much cheaper for me

With the savings I am getting, i went out and bought a brand new 52 inch lcd 1080p samsung TV running at 240hz.. the picture is STUNNING! :yahoo: Some shows and commercials look like they are in blueray, i was like wow!

Last edited: