bamboo, i want to steal some

2ballscrewball

I know when I have driven around Charles County I have seen Bamboo growing that appears to be owned by no one in particular, not near any houses etc. I am looking to transplant some of that bamboo to an area behind my house. I can not think of exactly where I have seen the Bamboo.

Does anyone know of any bamboo that is growing around charles county that I may be able to take?

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I know when I have driven around Charles County I have seen Bamboo growing that appears to be owned by no one in particular, not near any houses etc. I am looking to transplant some of that bamboo to an area behind my house. I can not think of exactly where I have seen the Bamboo.

Does anyone know of any bamboo that is growing around charles county that I may be able to take?

Most people would be happy to give it away, I heard it grows crazy. I would get mine from a road near Scientist Cliffs in Calvert, it was just an area of crazy bamboo and no one owned it, I would only take what had fallen for a project I was working on.

OldHillcrestGuy

Theres some growing on the edge of Rt. 6 in St Mary's just past the Parlett Farm on the same side, when you go to the Farm Festival this weekend and can steal some. Huntr1 will help you he lives nearby.:killingme

SoMDGirl42

You know that stuff spread faster than a wild fire. It'll own your back yard as well as your neighbors in no time. You must really hate your neighbors, cuz that's stuff is hard to kill as well.

You know that stuff spread faster than a wild fire. It'll own your back yard as well as your neighbors in no time. You must really hate your neighbors, cuz that's stuff is hard to kill as well.

Depends on the variety. The spreading kinds you can plant in a 5 gallon container and bury that, but they can still get away.

belvak

Happy Camper
Theres some growing on the edge of Rt. 6 in St Mary's just past the Parlett Farm on the same side, when you go to the Farm Festival this weekend and can steal some. Huntr1 will help you he lives nearby.:killingme

:yay: I was gonna mention the same place! We'll be hitting the Farm Life Festival at some point this weekend too!

OldHillcrestGuy

:yay: I was gonna mention the same place! We'll be hitting the Farm Life Festival at some point this weekend too!

Its been a few years since I went, figured you see it once or twice nothing really new to see, but this is the last year for the Farm Festival so I'll go and check it out again.

belvak

Happy Camper
Its been a few years since I went, figured you see it once or twice nothing really new to see, but this is the last year for the Farm Festival so I'll go and check it out again.

Wow, didn't know this was the last year. Hubby and I usually hit it for the food! He loves the Italian sausages with onions and peppers. That's enough to get him there every year! :lol:

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
We dealt with mad crazy Bamboo in Japan near our radar site and we had to continually keep cutting it back or it would have overrun the whole site. And once it's in, takes root, and starts spreading, it's a biatch to pull out!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It's already been well noted that the 'wild' variety of bamboo that thrives around here is very agressive. In another life, as a professional landscaper long ago, when we did plant that stuff on a job site, it was planted within a steel containment band approximately 2' in to the ground and extending entirely around the bamboo planting area, to limit the expansion of the plants and keep them from taking over the property later. Be careful what you wish for when planting bamboo on your property.

2ballscrewball

My plan is to put in the bamboo in an area behind my property in a buffer zone between my backyard and an industrial park that is going in.

Maybe 10 Leyland Cypress on the edge of my property may be a better idea.

nosey

If you put a 2-3" barrier down on your side you might be able to keep it from creeping your way and drive out the industrial park. If you can get to Annapolis, you can have all of mine!

mAlice

professional daydreamer
If you put a 2-3" barrier down on your side you might be able to keep it from creeping your way and drive out the industrial park. If you can get to Annapolis, you can have all of mine!

I always thought bamboo would look nice in an above ground planting wall. This is something I've seen in tropical areas, but not around here. The plants are contained, but you still get the privacy.

T

toppick08

My plan is to put in the bamboo in an area behind my property in a buffer zone between my backyard and an industrial park that is going in.

Maybe 10 Leyland Cypress on the edge of my property may be a better idea.

waxleaf ligustrum would be my choice......:buddies:

J

jp2854

when i lived in solomons we had leyland cypresses and they grew very tall. I would go with them too that way you don't have to see the industrial park at all.